Debt

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

alaskadrifter

Jun 23, 2007
I wasn't sure where to put this but here goes...This is my first year as a college student. The past year and a half I have been struggling with going into debt for college. I know what Jesus says about being in debt. But so many people say that it is ok to go into debt for a degree.LeTourneau is a great school. The proffesors here all love God, and truly care for the students. The other guys on my floor are great, and it is an all around good enviroment. The only thing is that it is real expensive, and I don't particularly care for Texas.Also, it would probably not please to many people in my family if I did decide not to return next year. I am not too worried about that, but I would feel like I am letting them down in a big way.So as they say here; "What do yall have to say 'bout it?"

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, the Bible speaks against the practice of usury and not so much against going into debt in a reason manner. Yes, going into debt is not the best idea and the Bible warns against it, but in this case I don't see that you're going to be violating Scripture. It's the fools that willingly fall victim to usury that get into trouble. Taking out a lower-interest student loan is not the same as taking a loan to go and buy that car you really want.Work hard, study hard, and make it worthwhile. Pay it off as soon as you are able and you'll be fine.

alaskadrifter

Jun 23, 2007
I appreciate the advice. It is something I am going to keep praying about, and seeking out wise counsel.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
If not for going into debt very few people would have an education beyond high school. How many have tens of thousands of dollars to pay cash for a college education? What about those who go into the medical field? The cost is astronomical, and only those from wealthy families could afford it if they had to pay cash. Either that or they'd have to rob a bank.:eek:

Jrperez79

Nov 8, 2007
I understand your worry about debt. Satan can use that to get a strangle hold on your life, but I do believe in this situation staying in school is the right decision. I would advise staying in school for at least the first full year before you make a decision to leave, for whatever reason. The first year is the toughest, especially when you are so far away from home. I remember wanting to come home so many times the first year (part of that reason was becuse of money). My parents made me wait out a year. They said if after a year I wanted to come home I could. They knew what they were talking about. I finished up and had no thoughts of leaving after my first year.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
As others have said, I think rather than viewing it as "going into debt" - look at it as an investment in your future. Make sure though that you are pursuing a degree in something you can actually work at when you've graduated & it's time to start paying all that money back. I have a friend who graduated with a degree in "history" and the only job she's been able to find is as a receptionist at a doctor's office.
rolleyes.gif