Depressed

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't think of lockdown as a loss of your freedom or that your 'rights' have been taken away as it is meant to protect you and help the medical profession cope. Getting negative about it just won't help. We are allowed out to shop and exercise so take advantage and go for a walk as long as you keep away from other people you can enjoy the outside. Perhaps you could use your allowed exercise time each day to pray for the people around you or for others further afield or even those who are caring for the ones who are sick.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please don't think of lockdown as a loss of your freedom or that your 'rights' have been taken away as it is meant to protect you and help the medical profession cope. Getting negative about it just won't help. We are allowed out to shop and exercise so take advantage and go for a walk as long as you keep away from other people you can enjoy the outside. Perhaps you could use your allowed exercise time each day to pray for the people around you or for others further afield or even those who are caring for the ones who are sick.

Awesome ideas Pat, if ever there was a time in this generation to reflect on God and prayer and praise...it is now...

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its good to see a woman stand on her own two feet and talk sensibly.... rather than listen to grown men whimper like babies over a little inconvenience.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back again. More depressed than ever, President Trump announced that we were opening and I thought finally this hell was over. Nope, he left to the states to open back up and I am afraid we never will. This hell will always go on, I just want to go places. I know how to take precautions by wearing mask, washing hands, and not touching my face. I am so sick of this and feel like there is no hope left.

Please, don't tell it will be okay or this is for the best, or something about trusting or not trusting God. I heard it all. I just want my freedom and liberty back
This may sound crazy, but it works for me when I feel depressed. I look around to see what I could do for someone else. It gets my mind off my own woes; and after I do it, I feel good about it. Are there old people you could go shopping for? Old people with dogs you could walk so they don't have to go out and risk getting infected? Do you have phone numbers for people you haven't talked to in a while? Just be sure, if you call people, to be willing to listen to their problems instead of thinking about your own. I think you can make a difference, honest. If you don't mind the risk, you could even volunteer at a food bank or some other charity.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This may sound crazy, but it works for me when I feel depressed. I look around to see what I could do for someone else. It gets my mind off my own woes; and after I do it, I feel good about it. Are there old people you could go shopping for? Old people with dogs you could walk so they don't have to go out and risk getting infected? Do you have phone numbers for people you haven't talked to in a while? Just be sure, if you call people, to be willing to listen to their problems instead of thinking about your own. I think you can make a difference, honest. If you don't mind the risk, you could even volunteer at a food bank or some other charity.
Well said. If ever there was a time for positive and inventive thinking it is now. Come on folks we are Gods kids. Lets stand up and show the world how to cope with this.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Pearl,
The real word is "exegesis"...just was using a little word play, lol. I would not have know what exegesis meant had someone on here said "learn to use good exegesis!" :oops: lol.

Theological scholars have long been preoccupied with interpreting the meanings of various passages in the Bible. ... English speakers have used the word exegesis—a descendant of the Greek term exēgeisthai, meaning "to explain" or "to interpret"—to refer to explanations of Scripture since the early 17th century.
I also only learned about the existence of the word, exegesis, during my time on Internet Christian forums. I still don't use the word and dislike many of the contexts where I have seen it used. Often people speak as if without correct exegesis a person cannot know God or whether or not something is from God. I really do not believe that is how God operates and I suspect I am not alone in this.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@historyb

Cheer up mate, we have less than 200 active cases now in our state of Victoria in Australia, things will get better where you live.

To be quite honest I don't think here it is as bad as they say. Doing the math that I did in another thread the overall numbers are very low. Here one doctor who comes on with our President admitted lying abut mask and the other let slip that they were putting anyone who died now into the covid count and then that Doctor tried to walk it back the next day. I believe we are completely getting lied to and something very, very fishy is going on.

There is Sweden that never forced it's citizens to lock down. They understand that freedom was more important than a virus, so they advised strongly and encouraged the elderly and vulnerable to stay home, if people could work from home then their citizens should, and had the restaurant and bars space tables and stools apart with only table side service, and let their children go to school otherwise they let people live their lives and don't take away their citizens rights and liberties and treat their citizens like adults.

Reactions: Helen

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are fighting a fantasy.

Like heck I am. I am fighting for freedom and liberty, a right for every sentient being. There is no greater power in the universe (beside Christ of course) that man poses then the need for freedom such against power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. Americans fought for it once and will have to fight for it again, it might take another 200 years but we will be free!

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just saw this . . . are you feeling any better?

. . . as one who suffers from depression . . .

Much love!

Yes I am, thank for asking and thank you for not giving me christian platitudes which I don't need. I got out for the first time in a month and had a video conference with my job people which help I miss them in this ridiculous stuff going on.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank the good Lord we are subject to draconian laws like "only exercise at a certain time" yet. We don't need a shutdown either Sweden did take their citizens rights away just implemented a few things and respect the freedom and liberty of their citizens and treat them like adults.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its good to see a woman stand on her own two feet and talk sensibly.... rather than listen to grown men whimper like babies over a little inconvenience.

It's not the inconvenience it liberty and freedom being taken away.

---------
What is wrong, have you all lost your dang minds? Do you all hate freedom and liberty so much? If you all or that way maybe you should not have any ever again, you all don't deserve it. As Ben Franklin says:

Quotation-Benjamin-Franklin-He-who-would-trade-liberty-for-some-temporary-security-deserves-54-46-43.jpg

Reactions: Dcopymope

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also only learned about the existence of the word, exegesis, during my time on Internet Christian forums. I still don't use the word and dislike many of the contexts where I have seen it used. Often people speak as if without correct exegesis a person cannot know God or whether or not something is from God. I really do not believe that is how God operates and I suspect I am not alone in this.

You suspect correct :)

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You are still 'free' in Christ Jesus, so don't let this other stuff get in the way of that. Look to Him, focus on Jesus and know the 'peace which transcends all understanding.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things. Philippians 4:6-8

And read Psalm 86
Great post! :)

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi HistoryB
Don’t know whether this will help, the verse in my reading this morning was from Micah 6:8
‘ He has shown you, oh man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you ?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly...with your God ‘

I decided to look at the verse in context... in verse 3 ‘ My people ,what have I done to you ?
How have I burdened you ........

The Lord goes on to remind them what he has done for them, redeemed and rescued them .....
( always good to remember what the Lord has already brought us through as individuals )

Their defence in verses 6-7 seems to be about the sacrifices, the atonement, ect ( what about my acts of worship, the sacraments ect ...........( in other words, we’ve done our bit )

Then the first I mentioned first ..........the people of Israel had missed the point of what was truly important to the Lord, how we treat people, how we forgive and have compassion, and how we should ‘ walk with God ‘ ( stay close )

I then had a thought about Paul in prison, he was unjustly locked away and had all his freedom taken from him by ruthless leaders- and yet, he came to learn to be content in all circumstances, not because he agreed with them, but he trusted the Lord through those experiences ...........

I know that things are not easy for any of us right now, and the impact of these days will be different, the Lord may have a whole range of ways he will use it all within our lives, and we may be called in different ways to respond ....... but Romans 8:28 is a solid verse, and also proverbs 3:5-6.

There are so many speculations, so many voices adding to the mix right now - whether it be other Christians, news, politicians ect - well The Lord is the only one that truly knows what is going on , why it is happening, and what will ultimately be the reasons .......... I know who I would prefer to trust xx
Rita
@Rita : There are so many great verses in the Minor Prophets; I keep coming back to Malachi...

Reactions: Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It's not the inconvenience it liberty and freedom being taken away.
Actually you still do have the liberty to go out and maybe catch it and then pass it on to somebody else who may be vulnerable and then they will pass it on to another person etc. and the healthcare workers will be even more stretched. To complain about lack of freedom is IMO very selfish at this time. Can't you see that the lockdown is for your own protection and also that of others?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually you still do have the liberty to go out and maybe catch it and then pass it on to somebody else who may be vulnerable and then they will pass it on to another person etc. and the healthcare workers will be even more stretched. To complain about lack of freedom is IMO very selfish at this time. Can't you see that the lockdown is for your own protection and also that of others?
Many people get confused about freedoms. None of them is absolute.

For example, while I have freedom of speech, I am not "free" to shout "fire" in a crowded theater. That would be interfering with the rights of the people in the theater.

We have freedom of movement too; but does that mean I shouldn't have to stop for red lights? Of course not. I don't have the right to imperil the lives of others because I say I have the right to move as I want. Other people have their rights too.

What about Jehovah's Witnesses who don't believe in blood transfusions? Certainly they have the right to decline them for themselves; but do parents have the right to let a child die if a transfusion would save its life? I don't know if the US Supreme Court's ruled on that question yet. I know some countries have said they don't have that right -- and I agree.

Reactions: Nancy and Willie T