Depression & Anxiety

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am 27 years old and I have been suffering with Depression & Anxiety issues since my childhood days back in Primary school, I was putting up with bullying from other kids both in Primary & High school. It was mostly verbal & emotional bullying but I don't think many people realise that verbal & emotional bullying is just as bad as physical bullying, at the end of the day bullying is bullying whether it is physical, verbal or emotional bullying it doesn't make words hurt any less. I have also experienced bullying both in real life & online, I have experienced online bullying just recently as well. At school & even online I have been called ugly and called me names like big nose, someone at school even said to me "You're so ugly that no one would want to marry you." And to this day I have never been in a relationship ever, it just makes me think are they right or is it God's purpose for me to be single? If so then what's his purpose for me staying single? and will I ever find someone & get married and start a family with that person. I worry that i'm going to spend the rest of my life alone and will probably die alone. The neglect I have experienced from my biological parents, plus all the bullying I have suffered from a child up until now and the verbal & emotional abuse from my Mum which has been going on for 15-16 years has really taken it's toll on my mental health. Plus my Depression & Anxiety tends to get worse in the Winter which is not too far away, we've already started getting the cold weather here in Australia and my mental health is not stable at all. I honestly don't know what to do, I have already tried getting professional help by a phyciatrist and a phycologist but it didn't really help me. I am taking antidepressants but they don't always seem to work , especially in the Winter. I don't know what else to do

Reactions: truthquest

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear dear. I feel for you. The world's ways the psyche guys are NO help.

May I ask 2 questions?

1. Are you are born again Christian? This is the basic step towards God.

2. If you are a born again Christian then you must seek the Lord to receive the baptism in His Holy Spirit. This gives us as believers the power to overcome all that comes against us. Jesus promised to send us the Holy Spirit to help us through this life.

I saw nothing in your OP that says much about God. I suspect you don't know much about Him. Am I wrong?

As for God's part toward you He says

Jeremiah 29:11-14 NASB
For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. [12] Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. [13] You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. [14] I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'

I see help for you from God not man. But God will use men to minister His love to you. Get into the word of God and stay there. There is more healing in the words of the Bible than all the medications on earth.

There is nothing wrong in your life that God can't fix.

Prayers for you my dear, Frank.

B

Butterfly

Hi Alison,
I have suffered with anxieties all my adult life, I am now 60 and at peace with my past. The anxieties are still there but I handle them. Depression has been a companion over the years- For me it was not instant healing, I tried external sources- then finally realised that only God could heal from within. I was in my 40's when that journey of healing began. It took time and it meant I had to ' face the past ' - how the Holy Spirit became a true counsellor. You see all that you have heard about yourself from those who had authority in your life, including the bullies , forms a foundation within. Well that needs to be broken up and replaced with truth. You see lies have been fed to you subconsciously.
It was quite an emotional journey - we don't always want to face the pain and grief we have locked inside as a result of what others do to us, so it took me awhile to embrace the process rather than run away- but once I realised that the emotional pain I felt, and all that went with it, was surfacing for good, it became a journey of discovery. I journalled a lot , that became my place to unravel the mess and it also became a meeting place with the Holy Spirit - when I write I can be real and write from the heart- it helped to express what I found difficult to share verbally. I also learned to mind map, understand triggers and in many respects the adult me had to counsel the child within ( I am not mad, promise, it's was just something I subconsciously needed to do, you see the past from a different prospective when you get older )
I am so sorry to read about all you have gone through, my son is in his 20's and suffers with social anxiety and agrophobia - he is an atheist and runs far away fro his emotions, so no chance yet of God reaching in - but God reached me ( I came to faith when I was 23 ) so I pray he will reach him in time X
Much love x
Butterfly ( Rita )

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am 27 years old and I have been suffering with Depression & Anxiety issues since my childhood days back in Primary school, I was putting up with bullying from other kids both in Primary & High school. It was mostly verbal & emotional bullying but I don't think many people realise that verbal & emotional bullying is just as bad as physical bullying, at the end of the day bullying is bullying whether it is physical, verbal or emotional bullying it doesn't make words hurt any less. I have also experienced bullying both in real life & online, I have experienced online bullying just recently as well. At school & even online I have been called ugly and called me names like big nose, someone at school even said to me "You're so ugly that no one would want to marry you."
I can understand about the bullying. One of the most hurtful things that I remember someone saying to me in elementary school was that my mother and father must not love me because I was in foster care. I was very hurt by that. I remember that my teacher was very understanding and kind and talked to me and encouraged me and just that act of kindness from her helped me through that.
I've learned over the years to try not to let what people say define who I am. It gives them power over me which I think is really their motivation. I had to learn to be my own best friend because we can be our own worst enemy.
The neglect I have experienced from my biological parents, plus all the bullying I have suffered from a child up until now and the verbal & emotional abuse from my Mum which has been going on for 15-16 years has really taken it's toll on my mental health. Plus my Depression & Anxiety tends to get worse in the Winter which is not too far away, we've already started getting the cold weather here in Australia and my mental health is not stable at all. I honestly don't know what to do, I have already tried getting professional help by a phyciatrist and a phycologist but it didn't really help me. I am taking antidepressants but they don't always seem to work , especially in the Winter. I don't know what else to do
I've also battled with depression and anxiety at times in my life. Antidepressants never helped me. I think that probably made things worse because of the side effects. But I understand that antidepressants do help some people.
I found some ways to deal with depression and anxiety that has helped me. A good comedy movie can make us laugh and laughter is good medicine. Reading a book that I enjoy helps to focus my mind and thoughts away from the things that make me feel depressed. Taking a walk and enjoying the sunshine and nature really helps to make me feel better. I avoid watching the news as much as possible because I find it too negative and depressing. I like to listen to praise and worship songs and that really has an amazing and healing effect on me. I have a pet, a cat, who is wonderful company for me because I live alone and she makes me smile and laugh and gives and receives affection. I try to focus on positive things instead of negative things.
I have heard that light therapy helps with depression in the winter. Some people have sun rooms which are very therapeutic for that. I don't know a lot about it but there are artificial light boxes that some people have found helpful for depression in the winter.
The most helpful thing for me though is faith and prayer and reading scriptures. That is the most powerful thing for me to fight depression and anxiety and gives me peace of mind.

I will be keeping you in my prayers and I hope I said something that will help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison_P and Helen

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Alison,
You are beautiful, and beloved by God.

Men can be cruel, and the world harsh,
But in Jesus , we have a Holy husband who will never fail you..

Rest in His love and you will find the peace you seek.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God.

Peace be with you!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am 27 years old and I have been suffering with Depression & Anxiety issues since my childhood days back in Primary school, I was putting up with bullying from other kids both in Primary & High school. It was mostly verbal & emotional bullying but I don't think many people realise that verbal & emotional bullying is just as bad as physical bullying, at the end of the day bullying is bullying whether it is physical, verbal or emotional bullying it doesn't make words hurt any less. I have also experienced bullying both in real life & online, I have experienced online bullying just recently as well. At school & even online I have been called ugly and called me names like big nose, someone at school even said to me "You're so ugly that no one would want to marry you." And to this day I have never been in a relationship ever, it just makes me think are they right or is it God's purpose for me to be single? If so then what's his purpose for me staying single? and will I ever find someone & get married and start a family with that person. I worry that i'm going to spend the rest of my life alone and will probably die alone. The neglect I have experienced from my biological parents, plus all the bullying I have suffered from a child up until now and the verbal & emotional abuse from my Mum which has been going on for 15-16 years has really taken it's toll on my mental health. Plus my Depression & Anxiety tends to get worse in the Winter which is not too far away, we've already started getting the cold weather here in Australia and my mental health is not stable at all. I honestly don't know what to do, I have already tried getting professional help by a phyciatrist and a phycologist but it didn't really help me. I am taking antidepressants but they don't always seem to work , especially in the Winter. I don't know what else to do

Every thing you described has been taught. It is a response planted in you by the world. What people have said, beginning with your parents neglect have all trained your mind into believing that you are worthless. Sometimes it is truly a chemical imbalance. God knows the difference of what has been learned. If it is a learned response. It can be unlearned.

I was certain mine was a chemical imbalance. When I had panic attacks they manifested as racing heart, trouble swallowing, and all the color bled out of my face. My husband could tell when I was about to have one because of external changes in my body. When anyone suggested it was a learned response I would get offended. If someone said, “simply just decide to stop it.” I would get offended. I couldn’t live life or do any of the normal things people do every day without the torture of ‘forcing’ myself to act how I was supposed to act as a normal person.

I tell you this because, the anxiety is gone. My husband, my children, my family all see it is gone. God can remove it but it doesn’t happen over night, unless He heals you instantly which God could. Why wouldn’t He heal you instantly? Because, maybe there is something more He wants you to see, which is Him. Maybe He wants you to get to where He becomes your source of strength and confidence. Those things others do that hurts will not ever change. Your response to them will change which is a testimony of God’s presence as head of your life and new direction. I can’t tell you the steps to freedom from your depression and anxiety because only God knows what works for a person. I can tell you it is day to day and He can do it. For real. I also tried all you said above that didn’t work. If you will ask God and listen for Him...He will lead you to freedom. He says we are to come out of the world. Coming out of the world would include all those planted delusions that you are worthless or ugly. All those neglective things used to tear down, can be rebuilt ‘in Him’. Then you are raised in Him which brings Him glory. Again, there are no steps...He does it. But if I had to give a few ‘how does God do it?’

1 John 4:18
[18] There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Fear of evil is torment. We hate evil; not fear it. Christ(perfect love) casts out fear of evil. It is promise. Anxiety, hopelessness, doubt, uncertainty, all those voices of ‘you are worthless’ is all based off fear. God will cast that out. It is a promise...an absolute. He will show you Him and the more you see of how immense God is compared to you...the more confidence you will have. The more you see of God and all He has done; and when you realize this God that created the universe, Heaven and earth...hears and sees YOU and cares about your suffering...bullies will never be able to convince you that you are worthless or ugly again. In fact, you will probably start feeling sorry for them because the reason they bully you to begin with is because, deep down, they are convinced they are worthless too. They tear you down in an attempt to build them up.

Last edited:

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dear dear. I feel for you. The world's ways the psyche guys are NO help.

May I ask 2 questions?

1. Are you are born again Christian? This is the basic step towards God.

2. If you are a born again Christian then you must seek the Lord to receive the baptism in His Holy Spirit. This gives us as believers the power to overcome all that comes against us. Jesus promised to send us the Holy Spirit to help us through this life.

I saw nothing in your OP that says much about God. I suspect you don't know much about Him. Am I wrong?

As for God's part toward you He says

Jeremiah 29:11-14 NASB
For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope. [12] Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. [13] You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. [14] I will be found by you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will restore your fortunes and will gather you from all the nations and from all the places where I have driven you,' declares the LORD, 'and I will bring you back to the place from where I sent you into exile.'

I see help for you from God not man. But God will use men to minister His love to you. Get into the word of God and stay there. There is more healing in the words of the Bible than all the medications on earth.

There is nothing wrong in your life that God can't fix.

Prayers for you my dear, Frank.
To answer your first question, yes I am a Born Again Christian. I have been Baptised in the name of Jesus Christ a couple of times. My first Baptism was at an Anglican Church on May 15 2016 , my second Baptism was just recently on March 25th at a Pentecostal Church, I never received my Baptism certificate from the Anglican Church but I just recieved my Baptism certificate from the Pentecostal Church which I am still currently attending a couple of weeks ago which I plan on framing it and hanging it up on my wall or sitting it on top of my drawer next to my bed.

To answer your second question, I already stated above that i've been Baptised twice and as for knowing God I admit that I have only really just started reading The Bible just after my second Baptism because one of the women I made friends with at the Pentecostal Church gave me a copy of The Bible (NRSIV) as a Baptism gift which was really nice of her and it has a
pretty pink leather cover with flowers engraved in it as well and wrote a lovely message inside. I have read a lot of the New Testament but not all of it.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't give up Alison. Never give up. There is a devil that hates all of us and speaks through her heart others with hateful words.

There are many that have gone through terrible things but God never leaves you. I wish I could sit and talk with you but the Lord Jesus has others near you. You must believe what He says you and not men. Those with tender spirits must learn not to receive every thing that is spoken toward them. I experienced this and it took a time to recover.

I think you mistook my question. I was asking if you had been baptized in the Holy Spirit and received the gift of tongues.

My prayers are with you. Fear not. Let not your heart be troubled.

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you say if I have been Baptised by the Holy Spirit, do you mean by being immersed in Water? If so then yes, I was Baptised twice. If you are referring to something else then I don't understand what you mean. And no I do not know how to speak to in tongues.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Well that's sad, but don't worry about what other people say, don't worry about what the world thinks about you, Jesus loves you, Jesus cares for you and that's what matters most, with the world going south, I can now thank God that I was not a popular kid in school, I could have ended up in a mess, but God looked after me and my parents prayed for me a lot, funnily enough I went to Christian schools for most of my life, most of those kids, well they are out living wild lives at the moment, and doing a lot of things that go against God's word, causing trouble with their neighbors, getting drunk, smoking hookahs, going through a dozen relationships, that's where most of the kids I went to school with are at in life at the moment, and I'm glad that's not where I'm at, they may have many many friends, but where they are at spiritually isn't good.

When ever you feel lonely, spend time with God, even spend time with Him when you aren't lonely, He is a great friend, read the Bible and pray, meditate upon what His says, ask the Holy Spirit to show you stuff and guide you, that can be pretty amazing.

Anyway, just noticed your response above, it's a wonderful thing to be baptized in the Holy Spirit.

I pray for Alison, I command the Devil and his demons that are troubling her to stop troubling her and to flee from Alison's life, I command all of Satan's lies to be blocked out, and to be replaced with the TRUTH of the wonderful words from you Lord Jesus, Lord Jesus fill her full with Your Holy Spirit, baptize her afresh with Your Holy Spirit, fill her with your Joy, Peace and Love, comfort her, let her know You are with her, help her to forget the bad times from in the pass, help her to forgive those who have wronged her, reveal many great wonders to her Lord Jesus, show her dreams and visions from you Lord Jesus, speak into Alison's life, lead her, guide her in all things, lead Alison to the right husband, give her a man of GOD, give Alison VICTORY in LIFE THROUGH YOU LORD JESUS and give her the gift of speaking in tongues in Jesus name, let that Holy language come out of her mouth HALLELUJAH!!!! GLORY TO GOD. I PRAY ALL THESE THINGS IN JESUS NAME AMEN AND BLESS HER LORD JESUS. AMEN, AMEN AND AMEN.

Since you live in Melbourne, I could recommend you to a Church that's Spirit-filled and operates under the anointing and gifts of the Holy Spirit. If you are interested, let me know.

Jesus loves you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison_P

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I really appreciate your prayers, thank you and I am already attending a church which I have been attending for almost a few months now, but I appreciate you for trying to help. God bless ❤️

Reactions: Truth7t7 and Josho