Did Abraham know the name YHWH?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
yes, Genesis 21:

33 And Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called upon the name of the LORD [H3068], the Eternal God.
The LORD
יְהוָ֣ה ׀ (Yah·weh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel

Abraham knew the name YHWH. But then, centuries later, God said to Moses in Exodus 6:

3 "I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by my name the LORD [H3068] I did not make myself known to them."
I do not interpret the verse absolutely but as a limited negative. The patriarchs knew the name YHWH but the LORD would reveal himself to the Israelites more completely by demonstrating what he was about to do:

6 Say therefore to the people of Israel, ‘I am the LORD, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from slavery to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great acts of judgment. 7 I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who has brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. 8 I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob. I will give it to you for a possession. I am the LORD.’
Moses wrote Genesis 21:33 and Exodus 6:3. He would not so blatantly contradict himself. The Israelites knew the name of the LORD or the power of the LORD more thoroughly than Abraham. They all knew the name YHWH. Genesis 4:

1 Adam made love to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “With the help of the LORD I have brought forth a man.”

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Abraham did not know the name YHWH, because that is NOT the true Name in God's Word. The true Name is YHVH, rendered YaHoVaH.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, Genesis 21:

The LORD
יְהוָ֣ה ׀ (Yah·weh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel

Abraham knew the name YHWH. But then, centuries later, God said to Moses in Exodus 6:

I do not interpret the verse absolutely but as a limited negative. The patriarchs knew the name YHWH but the LORD would reveal himself to the Israelites more completely by demonstrating what he was about to do:

Moses wrote Genesis 21:33 and Exodus 6:3. He would not so blatantly contradict himself. The Israelites knew the name of the LORD or the power of the LORD more thoroughly than Abraham. They all knew the name YHWH. Genesis 4:
This contradicts the Scriptures

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you using the word "contradicts" in the First-Order Logical sense?
I am using it by its normal definition: The third point- to be in conflict with.

con·tra·dict
[ˌkäntrəˈdik(t)]
verb
contradicts (third person present)
  1. deny the truth of (a statement) by asserting the opposite:
    "the survey appears to contradict the industry's claims" · "he did not contradict what he said last week"
    Similar:
    deny
    refute
    rebut
    dispute
    counter
    gainsay
    controvert
    • assert the opposite of a statement made by (someone):
      "he did not contradict her but just said nothing" · "within five minutes he had contradicted himself twice"
      Similar:
      challenge
      oppose
      go against
      gainsay
      impugn
    • be in conflict with:
      "that evaporation seems to contradict one of the most fundamental principles of physics"
If the pre Israeli people knew the name Yahweh, why did Moses need to ask god for His name? Now you have to suppose that somehow, somewhere and at sometime, all people forgot the name of God. that is an extra biblical supposition.