Did God create evil? (A look at Isaiah 45:7)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ben Abraham

Dec 13, 2020
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ISAIAH 45:7

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD (YHVH) do all these things."

This is a strange verse that might capture the attention of many. I am sure we have heard it said that "Evil comes from the Devil" We all seem to connect evil to Satan and his demonic entities. Yet, this verse clearly states that YHVH created evil. Case closed. But we must ask ourselves "why?"

Why did a loving, perfect, and Holy God create evil? So, as we attempt to answer this question. Let's look at the words with a fine-tooth comb.

"Light and darkness" "peace and evil" "form, make, create" How can we relate these words to our world today? in the world in which we live? Here we see opposites, "light vs darkness" "peace vs evil". We can also see these in similarities; "light and peace" and "Darkness and evil" Two go together and two are different. But they are ALL made by Adonai. The word used for "create" in Hebrew is "Bara" which means "to create or bring into being for a specific purpose." It is not just to create or make and throw out there into existence, sit back and see what happens.

All things were made for a purpose. We see in Genesis Chapter 1 that there was darkness, yet out of the darkness came light. "Light" is also referred to as Yeshua himself. One thought is that when YHVH "spoke" into existence all that He created, the words that He spoke emanated at such a high frequency that the sound waves were heated to such a degree that they glowed with "light" But this is just an idea. No one was around back then to observe creation.

Yet, before Genesis 1, there was just eternity past, and, nothingness? the blackness of empty space? Yet since Elohim existed eternally from eternity past, then, there can not be "nothingness" rather "somethingness" (wow, is that really a word?) Yes, (my word) Elohim existed so there was no such thing as "nothingness" yet "darkness?' did it exist before Genesis 1?

Can darkness associate itself with evil? There are two entities of "darkness" one is "physical" darkness (if one can call it that) and the other "spiritual darkness". In order to sleep well, we need a "dark" room, to close our eyes and rest. Photographers many years ago developed film in a "dark" room. When I was in high school, I took a course in photography and Mr. Tovar, my photography teacher taught us how to go into a pitch-black closet and unroll the film in our camera into a black box with a hole in the top, then pour in the chemicals to develop the negatives. "Darkness" was needed to develop the film. There are animals that only come out during the darkness of night to feed, and flowers close up to rest during the night.

So, that kind of darkness is good, so "peace" and "relaxation" can come in the "darkness" to allow us to sleep and rest. But spiritual darkness relates to evil. Not knowing the Torah (Bible) exposes us to evil. What we don't know CAN hurt us. Rejection of God's gift of Salvation brings darkness into our lives and makes us slaves to the "evil" master; HaSatan.

Knowing what spiritual darkness is can lead us to the "light" of the gospel. rejecting "evil" and welcoming "Shalom" (peace) through Yeshua.
Recognizing a poisonous scorpion (darkness, evil) from a non-poisonous one can bring one "peace" in that we know what to look for and avoid. Well, all scorpions sting, but some are like a bee or wasp sting, and others, well... you'd better go see a doctor quickly! (the difference is in the claw and stinger)

When we read and obey God's Commandments, we get "peace" in our lives, yet the "negative" commandments warn us against "evil" and knowing what "evil" can do against us, and thus avoiding the same, brings us "peace". In a dark room, where the is pitch-blackness, if you stike a match, that light from the match however small that flame is, chases away the darkness, now, as our eyes adjust, we can see around us. So is the Word of God, like a flame from a match, that will reveal everything around us and the spiritual darkness will flee. (mind you, don't blow out the flame)

So, back to the million-dollar question; Why did God create evil and peace together? Perhaps the answer is in the creation of mankind. Mankind was given a choice to obey or disobey. God wanted man and woman to love and obey Him out of free will and choice. The same is for us today. If there had been no such thing as "evil" then, we would have no choice BUT to obey and love, there would be no testing our love, we would be like robots or machines that run because they are programmed to run. We are more than machines, we are His living creations, created with a choice to "walk in the light and have peace" rather than "succumb to the darkness and be enveloped in evil".

Would we also dare say that God created evil, to punish evil doers? Whatever a man sows, that he must also reap. We can see that in our everyday lives. Even Yeshua said to Peter; "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." So, evil might have been created for that reason also.

Either way, the choice is ours.

Ben Avraham

The light gives way to darkness, then light again. (Key Largo, FL)
SAM_1034.JPG

Reactions: MatthewG

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD (YHVH) do all these things."

This is a strange verse that might capture the attention of many. I am sure we have heard it said that "Evil comes from the Devil" We all seem to connect evil to Satan and his demonic entities. Yet, this verse clearly states that YHVH created evil. Case closed. But we must ask ourselves "why?"

Why did a loving, perfect, and Holy God create evil? So, as we attempt to answer this question. Let's look at the words with a fine-tooth comb.

"Light and darkness" "peace and evil" "form, make, create" How can we relate these words to our world today? in the world in which we live? Here we see opposites, "light vs darkness" "peace vs evil". We can also see these in similarities; "light and peace" and "Darkness and evil" Two go together and two are different. But they are ALL made by Adonai. The word used for "create" in Hebrew is "Bara" which means "to create or bring into being for a specific purpose." It is not just to create or make and throw out there into existence, sit back and see what happens.

All things were made for a purpose. We see in Genesis Chapter 1 that there was darkness, yet out of the darkness came light. "Light" is also referred to as Yeshua himself. One thought is that when YHVH "spoke" into existence all that He created, the words that He spoke emanated at such a high frequency that the sound waves were heated to such a degree that they glowed with "light" But this is just an idea. No one was around back then to observe creation.

Yet, before Genesis 1, there was just eternity past, and, nothingness? the blackness of empty space? Yet since Elohim existed eternally from eternity past, then, there can not be "nothingness" rather "somethingness" (wow, is that really a word?) Yes, (my word) Elohim existed so there was no such thing as "nothingness" yet "darkness?' did it exist before Genesis 1?

Can darkness associate itself with evil? There are two entities of "darkness" one is "physical" darkness (if one can call it that) and the other "spiritual darkness". In order to sleep well, we need a "dark" room, to close our eyes and rest. Photographers many years ago developed film in a "dark" room. When I was in high school, I took a course in photography and Mr. Tovar, my photography teacher taught us how to go into a pitch-black closet and unroll the film in our camera into a black box with a hole in the top, then pour in the chemicals to develop the negatives. "Darkness" was needed to develop the film. There are animals that only come out during the darkness of night to feed, and flowers close up to rest during the night.

So, that kind of darkness is good, so "peace" and "relaxation" can come in the "darkness" to allow us to sleep and rest. But spiritual darkness relates to evil. Not knowing the Torah (Bible) exposes us to evil. What we don't know CAN hurt us. Rejection of God's gift of Salvation brings darkness into our lives and makes us slaves to the "evil" master; HaSatan.

Knowing what spiritual darkness is can lead us to the "light" of the gospel. rejecting "evil" and welcoming "Shalom" (peace) through Yeshua.
Recognizing a poisonous scorpion (darkness, evil) from a non-poisonous one can bring one "peace" in that we know what to look for and avoid. Well, all scorpions sting, but some are like a bee or wasp sting, and others, well... you'd better go see a doctor quickly! (the difference is in the claw and stinger)

When we read and obey God's Commandments, we get "peace" in our lives, yet the "negative" commandments warn us against "evil" and knowing what "evil" can do against us, and thus avoiding the same, brings us "peace". In a dark room, where the is pitch-blackness, if you stike a match, that light from the match however small that flame is, chases away the darkness, now, as our eyes adjust, we can see around us. So is the Word of God, like a flame from a match, that will reveal everything around us and the spiritual darkness will flee. (mind you, don't blow out the flame)

So, back to the million-dollar question; Why did God create evil and peace together? Perhaps the answer is in the creation of mankind. Mankind was given a choice to obey or disobey. God wanted man and woman to love and obey Him out of free will and choice. The same is for us today. If there had been no such thing as "evil" then, we would have no choice BUT to obey and love, there would be no testing our love, we would be like robots or machines that run because they are programmed to run. We are more than machines, we are His living creations, created with a choice to "walk in the light and have peace" rather than "succumb to the darkness and be enveloped in evil".

Would we also dare say that God created evil, to punish evil doers? Whatever a man sows, that he must also reap. We can see that in our everyday lives. Even Yeshua said to Peter; "He who lives by the sword will die by the sword." So, evil might have been created for that reason also.

Ben Avraham

View attachment 23787

No sir, but He does allow it for what I consider a very good reason. He had a few choices at the sin of Adam, but I believe He chose the best path as the permanent solution.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ben Avraham

View attachment 23787

That's right _ He created "evil". Other translations use calamities, troubles, disaster.
The "Tree Of Knowledge of Good and Evil" ( evil already existing) was placed in the Garden with Satan as well. What do you think, does that sound like a perfect environment _ with an obvious potential or should I say inevitability that sin would enter into the picture?
It was planned that way. Why? Because the Tree contained the knowledge of Good. And we cannot know or appreciate the attributes of God, who He is, love, joy, peace, forgiveness, healing, and everything that is good until we have experienced and understand evil. We could not know what grace, faith and hope is either. Now we do. Now we love because we know what it is like to be without it. We know life because we know what death is (partly).
The Haitian earthquake killed 300k. It was a disaster, a calamity, troubles came and many would say it was evil and blame it on Satan. Satan doesn't do anything unless He has permission by God, that's right, read Job if that doesn't compute. No one paid much attention to Haiti, the poorest country on the planet _ until then. Now the world focused on Haiti like a lazer, shined a light in their darkness and flooded them with food, supplies, help, love like they never knew. They wondered why they were helping them, loving them, then they hit them with the gospel. Many of them believed in Voodoo, the occult and were plagued with demons in constant fear, hopelessly doomed.
Now they meet Jesus, His grace and love. Now they know what good is. Tens of thousands came to Christ.
We often don't look at the whole picture and see God's plan in the full. It's all good.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHII

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every human being is evil but God is nice enough to create them. No hard feelings here.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ben Avraham

View attachment 23787
The American Standard version of the scriptures says at Isaiah 45:7 : “I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.” The scriptures teach us that Jehovah God sows light for righteously disposed ones, and through his Word the Bible enlightens their minds, but he brings mental darkness upon those who willfully continue in a wrong course. (Psalm 82:5-7; 97:11; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 13) Peace of mind, even now, is the lot of those devoted to God and his service, and in the new world under the reign of his Prince of Peace all then living will rejoice in that blessed state forever. (Psalm 72:1, 4, 7, 8; Isaiah 9:6, 7) As for the statement that God creates evil, it does not mean anything or any practice that is morally wrong. “Evil” as here used does not mean moral evil, of which God could never be guilty, but it refers to a calamity or disaster or destruction, such as he brings upon his unrepentant foes, and that particularly at the battle of Armageddon. From rebellious Adam’s time onward punishment has come from God upon the willfully wicked, and this has been wholly just on God’s part, but it has been as an evil to the ones meriting it.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sounds like you are missing a certain understanding from Old Testament Scripture. And it might sound like something hard to accept, but here goes...

Our Heavenly Father is NOT... the creator of evil, regardless of that Isaiah 45:7 verse. That Isaiah verse is not to be understood in the 'absolute' sense. It is to be understood that for this 'present' world time, God USES evil. Being the creator of evil vs. using evil upon the rebellious are two different things.

When Satan first rebelled in coveting God's Throne (in that old world prior to this one since Genesis 1:2), that is when sin and death started, and thus evil. Satan is the author of that, which is why the power of death is assigned to him (Hebrews 2:14). And it for this reason that God sent His Son to die on the cross, in order to defeat death and the devil for us (1 John 3:8). That original coveting & rebellion by Satan is when the concept of 'evil' began.

In Isaiah 10, God is actually pointing to Satan himself by using the flesh king of Assyria as a type...

Isa 10:5-17

5 O Assyrian,
the rod of Mine anger, and the staff in their hand is Mine indignation.

God is calling the "Assyrian" as His "rod of Mine anger". It means God uses him as a punishing rod upon the rebellious; that's... how God creates evil. It actually means He USES... evil to punish the rebellious. At this point, is God pointing to the flesh king of Assyria only? Keep reading...

6 I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of My wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.

At that time, Israel was in rebellion against God.

7 Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither doth his heart think so; but it is in his heart to destroy and cut off nations not a few.
8 For he saith, "Are not my princes altogether kings?
9 Is not Calno as Carchemish? is not Hamath as Arpad? is not Samaria as Damascus?
10 As my hand hath found the kingdoms of the idols, and whose graven images did excel them of Jerusalem and of Samaria;
11 Shall I not, as I have done unto Samaria and her idols, so do to Jerusalem and her idols?"

The above quote is what that "Assyrian" said. The kings of Assyria took the northern kingdom of Israel (ten tribes) captive, removed them out of the holy lands. That is who is referred to there as "Samaria", the capitol city of the northern "kingdom of Israel". The Assyrian then says he will do the same with Jerusalem (the flesh king of Assyria failed in taking Jerusalem. It would be Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon that would conquer Jerusalem-Judea and take them captive to Babylon for 70 years.)

12 Wherefore it shall come to pass, that when the Lord hath performed His whole work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem, I will punish the fruit of the stout heart of the king of Assyria, and the glory of his high looks.

That point, "His whole work upon mount Zion and on Jerusalem" should bring up a red flag. The kings of Assyria's work against God's people ended when the ten tribes were removed, and Judah was removed to Babylon. And since a remnant of the house of Judah returned to Jerusalem, and is still there today, that tells us God's "whole work" for that area is still... not done yet. So just WHO is God really pointing to with that "Assyrian" moniker, because the old flesh kings of Assyria have been long dead?

13 For he saith, "By the strength of my hand I have done it, and by my wisdom; for I am prudent: and I have removed the bounds of the people, and have robbed their treasures, and I have put down the inhabitants like a valiant man:
14 And my hand hath found as a nest the riches of the people: and as one gathereth eggs that are left, have I gathered all the earth; and there was none that moved the wing, or opened the mouth, or peeped."

That above again is the "Assyrian" boasting.

God then says...

15 Shall the axe boast itself against him that heweth therewith? or shall the saw magnify itself against him that shaketh it? as if the rod should shake itself against them that lift it up, or as if the staff should lift up itself, as if it were no wood.
16 Therefore shall the Lord, the Lord of hosts, send among his fat ones leanness;
and under His glory He shall kindle a burning like the burning of a fire.
17 And the light of Israel shall be for a fire, and His Holy One for a flame: and it shall burn and devour his thorns and his briers in one day;
KJV

That part in red is about the destruction of that "Assyrian" by fire. It is a pronouncement of judgement to perdition (perishing) in the "lake of fire". God is using... the title of the "Assyrian" here while actually pointing to Satan himself. We can also know this by the fact that NO flesh man has been judged and sentenced to perish in the future "lake of fire" just yet, because that requires God's Great White Throne Judgment of the future. Only Satan and his angels have already been judged and sentenced to perish in the "lake of fire".

By that assigned fire destroying the "Assyrian" is a marker pointing directly to Satan himself. And one of the main points in that Isaiah 10 chapter is how God USES... even Satan as a punishing rod upon the rebellious. And that is for this present world only, since Satan already rebelled in the previous world. This makes Satan as the actual creator and author of evil, not God.

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 45;7. . Create means =BARA in Hebrew, it's a verb. Which with evil, requires the rendering, bring about. Not the same form as in verse 8 or 12 or 18, in connection with earth. In Jeremiah chapter 18:11. The verb is YAZAR, to frame or mold. In Amos chapter 3;6. , it is , ASHAH, to bring about. Disturbance in contrast to peace. God brings calamity about as the inevitable consequence of sin. AKATASTASIA in Greek means = confusion, instability. Whos the instigator that caused this mess?? God is the author of peace, not confusion. Proverbs 15:10. Correction is grievous unto him that forsakes the way: And her that hates reproof shall die. Who's the son of perdition. Did Lucifer lead a rebellion against God in first earth age, drawing away one third of God's children. What was satan's motive??. PONEROS in Greek means = essential character, bad, evil, lewd. Who are we talking about?. Jeremiah 4:19. My bowels, my bowels, I am pained at my very heart; my heart makes a noise in me; I cannot hold my peace, because tbou hast heard, O my soul, the sound of trumpet, the alarm of war. Who started a war in first earth age. It was Lucifer. He was protective cherub of mercy seat. Satan COVETED the Mercy seat. He manipulating one third of God's children, who followed him. 4:21. How long shall I see standard, and hear the sound of the trumpet?. 4:22. For My people is foolish, they have not known Me: they are SOTTISH children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge. The word SOTTISH means stupid. RA a in Hebrew means =evil. EYD in Hebrew means = Calamity. Who's complicate with satan in rebellion against God?? One third of God's children, that's 5 billion people. We have bunch of winners here. Did God create this mess. I don't think so !. 4:23. I beheld the earth, and lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. TOHU VA=BOHU in Hebrew means = void, without form. How did darkness cover the earth? God destroyed that first earth age. Their was great shaking, and a Kadabul, world wide water flood. All the dinosaurs died. The weather pattern changed from subtropical to four seasons a year. For a period of time darkness did cover the earth. During the Kadabal. God doesn't create evil. God judges sin. Get the picture. The loser is satan, he created confusion, chaos. Isaiah 34:11. But the cormorant, and the BITTERN shall possess it; the owl also and the raven shall dwell in it; and He shall stretch out upon it the line of confusion, and the stones of emptiness. We have cross reference. God is the author of peace. Satan is the author of confusion. Revelation chapter 13, God is using satan in his role as antichrist, to test the same one third who followed satan in first earth age, there here now in earth, this is the second earth age. The saints are God's elect. Antichrist will test people at the 6th trump. God wants to know who studied the bible?? Many will flunk out and worship antichrist. Revelation chapter 20, those who worshipped antichrist will be taught and discipline during millennium. They will be tested again by satan at the end of millennium.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ben Avraham

View attachment 23787
All things are made manifest by God, both the good and the evil are revealed by the creation of God unto judgement.