Did God Give His Only Son? Fresh Look @ John 3:16

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The CEV translation reads, "God loved the people of this world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who has faith in him will have eternal life and never really die." In this thread I want to explore 2 questions:
  1. If God gave his son, how can Jesus be with God still?
  2. Given God gave his son, how can his son be God?

Both questions are a matter of definition, logic and language usage. The 2nd question shows that Jesus is not God. Subjects of sentences are not objects of sentences. Compare with, "President Trump gave Rush Limbaugh the Medal of Freedom." President Trump and God are the subjects of the sentence; they do the acting. Rush Limbaugh and Jesus (his son) are the objects of the sentence; they are acted upon.

One attribute of giving something is that you no longer have it. It seems more like God lent his son for ~33 years. Is there another example you can point to where you give something while also retaining that very same thing? By contrast, if I lend you my baseball glove and you return it, with normal wear and tear but it remains the same glove. It is not like I give you my baseball glove and you give me back a totally different, brand new glove.

1 Corinthians 2:10-14 (NASB) For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.

John 3:3 (NASB) Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."