Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I demonstrate that Jesus died on Passover, which was Wednesday that Year. Now, using a Lunar calendar, I'm certain you can find a year when that was possible. I think I could.
You showed nothing. You cannot. You're not Scripture. Show with Scripture, then expect others to listen to you. As long as you depend on calendars, uh uh uh zippit

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The case for the Friday crucifixion

There are biblical anchors here to this story. But still a lot of debating has occurred, but only a few have figured it out. About 35 years ago I developed a program for historical and biblical investigation. I call it the Seafarer’s Way because I am an old submariner and it involves hypothetical islands of evidence. Complicated but in short it in involves confidence levels and the amount of evidence and the type of evidence and evidence that connects to other bodies of evidence. The Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection has it all.

The Body of evidence….
Christ was crucified on the day of Preparation. Of course there are several scriptures that indicate that Christ was crucified on the day of preparation for Passover and John 19:31-42 states that…for that Sabbath was a high day… describing it as a high day. More than just the Passover, but also the Jewish Sabbath, it was the Sabbath as stated in Mark 15:42 and indicated in Luke 23:56 that the ladies had….and on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment…. Now loosely any Jewish holiday can be referred to as a Sabbath…. loosely, but not the Sabbath….only one of them, and it is a commandment from Exodus. So it was during the Passover and the ladies also followed the "Sabbath commandment" from Exodus to rest.

The scriptures describe the women coming to the tomb on the first day of the week, after the Sabbath. Of course we know that the women came early on Sunday morning. Matthew 28:1 Mark 16:2 16:9 Luke 24:1 John 20:1

Then when the women went to the tomb the scriptures make the point that the Sabbath was over. Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:1. But of course the feast of unleavened bread was still in progress. So at this point we know that the Jewish Sabbath and the evening-day of Passover were occurring simultaneously. And Christ was crucified the day before, on the day of Preparation.

The age old issue of time….
From the time Christ died on the cross till He resurrected it was around 39 hours…not even two days. Christ said three days and three nights….But can we even begin to put a stopwatch to this event….maybe a sundial would be better?

The first hurdle you come to when trying to do the arithmetic is when to start the stopwatch on 3 days and 3 nights. The Jewish day starts at dawn. Christ died around 3:00 in the afternoon, so that is approximately 9 hours into the day. So to start with you have to make the decision as to whether you are going to count the day of Christ’s crucifixion, or not. Christ resurrected early on the first day of the week….before dawn or less than an hour into the day….are you going to count that day as a whole day. 3 days and 3 nights. What about the night of the first day of the week? Now you can make those decisions on what to count…..but you will get no instruction from the Bible, so the information on when to click the stopwatch on and click it off is not there. So no matter what day you want to believe that Christ was crucified, you do not have any guidance from the scriptures as to the actual perimeters of the timeframe as it occurred. So it is all your opinion, not biblical. If you do not count either day, the Last Supper is backed up to Tuesday. Just one of the reasons that I do not worry about the math. All time references are in relation to the events. Christ resurrected on Sunday the day after the Sabbath and Passover which was always Saturday and Christ was crucified the day before that...Friday.

And as I explained the date is pinpointed by the lunar cycle for Passover on that date and year.

The observance of the Lord’s Day for early Christians is well established. Because the date of the Passover moved around each year the Ecumenical Council decided to celebrate the resurrection of Christ on the first Sunday after Passover….So Easter also moves around.

Good Friday, the calculation and tradition of the Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection has stood the test of time. We can track the observance of the Friday crucifixion back to before Emperor Constantine and the ecumenical councils.

As with all of my research, I don’t care, I am just looking for the truth. I do not care what day Christ was crucified. Granted historical evidence can be a little tricky. The facts about the World Series can fade, even with professional witness, 40,000 fans present and millions watching on TV and millions of dollars of video equipment focusing on the events. All you can do is look at the evidence and weigh the confidence of the evidence. And all that must be kept in perspective of importance…what matters is that Christ was crucified for us and He resurrected.

Last edited:

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All i truly know is that HE was cruficified and on the third day ROSE AGAIN . And i say PRAISE GOD FOR THE GLORIOUS HOPE
we have IN CHRIST . NOW THROW THOSE HANDS UP and let a PRAISE FEST UNTO THE LORD BEGIN my peoples .
FOR IT IS DEEMEND and HAS been DEEMEND LORD PRAISING TIME CONTINUALLY .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Those whom use/read John into this topic must understand his point of view...

Joh 20:31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

John never claimed historical accuracy... He only wanted to show you that Jesus is the Christ... the Passover Lamb... Thus His timeline differs when it comes to Jesus death... John wants to show Jesus as the sacrificial Lamb of Passover. This is why John does not match with the others in the time line...John was trying to make a point... not be historically accurate.
Paul

Just because <Paul> says so in blue.
<John never claimed historical accuracy...> that's an outright lie. Bring one, only one, big or small historical inaccuracy or difference in <timeline when it comes to Jesus' death> in John's Gospel, and you will pass for a genuine clown. So far you do not pass for a clownish clown. So you also - it becomes more and more obvious with every one of you guys I encounter - ALL of you timeliners - say, That is <why John does not match with the others in the time line...John was ... not historically accurate> AND ANYONE DENYING THE ASSERTION DENIES INSPIRATION in the case of John's Gospel!

Are you 'Rector' of a faculty of Religious Studies or something at some University? I'LL BET MY BOOTS!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Those whom use/read John into this topic must understand his point of view...

Joh 20:31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

John never claimed historical accuracy... He only wanted to show you that Jesus is the Christ... the Passover Lamb... Thus His timeline differs when it comes to Jesus death... John wants to show Jesus as the sacrificial Lamb of Passover. This is why John does not match with the others in the time line...John was trying to make a point... not be historically accurate.

Paul

I do not know of one person in your line of education and or occupation, WHO does not agree that John in <his timeline differs when it comes to Jesus death (and) does not match with the other (Gospels) in the time line (and is) not be historically accurate> - of not one!

At the same time I don’t know one of you knows WHY he agrees with all of you.

O yes, all of you do agree that John disagrees because all four Gospels must agree that Jesus rose on Sunday or else they would not and could not be in agreement, but because they are Holy Spirit Inspired they have to be in disagreement, and must so disagree that they prove anyone who disagrees the Gospels disagree denies the Inspiration of the Gospels. And again and again and again, ring a ring a rosies.

That’s not what I mean!
What I mean is, Not one of you have any reason or proof in the Gospels WHY John disagrees with the Synoptists. WHY do you make this claim? ON WHAT DO YOU ALL BASE YOUR IDENTICAL FALSE CLAIM?

AND YET NOT ONE OF YOU KNOW OF ANYTHING.

But I know on what you base and make your claim, I have been SHOWING you this for 45 years with reference to Translation of the Gospels; and I have been showing you this same thing more specifically with reference to RECENT BIBLE CONCORDANCES AND LEXICONS especially IT ‘sources’ like “Strong’s’. Let me spell it out: You ALL AND EVERYONE of you theological supermen BETTER THAN THE SCRIPTURES commentators on the Scriptures, say, Jesus was buried on the same day before sunset the same day BECAUSE YOU ALL FELL FOR Walter Bauer and Brigade that John 19:14 is the same ‘Preparation’ that is in Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57 John 19:31,38 and Luke 23:50.

Now until “The Preparation OF THE PASSOVER” has been proven with Scripture the same as “The Preparation which is The Fore-Sabbath” (Friday) AND HAS THUS BEEN CHANGED from what stands Written into what is DELIBERATE DECEIT of Antichrist – until then, HEAR! Jesus was NOT Buried the same day before sunset the same day, but was Buried the day AFTER He had been Crucified and had Died, and He Resurrected “the day which is after the Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath – the third day (of the passover’s “three days thick darkness”) the third day HE SAID: I WILL RISE : Sabbath mid-afternoon towards the First Day (Sunday).”

Here I stand. I cannot deny God’s Word. I will not retract any accusation against Antichrist and cohorts. SO HELP ME GOD.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that is how you are looking for the truth . . . . and if what you don't care about is what Jesus cared about, I do not know if He Himself could help you.

You took that wrong. I can not decide the truth...the truth is the truth....My biblical beliefs are not based on what I like and what I do not like....I do not go to the Bible with personnel beliefs and try to impose my beliefs on the scriptures.

Reactions: amigo de christo

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Good Friday, the calculation and tradition of the Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection has stood the test of time. We can track the observance of the Friday crucifixion back to before Emperor Constantine and the ecumenical councils.

Why had there to be those <ecumenical councils> if we <can track the observance of the Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection back to before Emperor Constantine>? If <the calculation and tradition has [Sic.] stood the test of time>, it would have stood fast established all the time. Rather ask, Have the calculation and tradition ever existed? Where is their <test> seen in time or history? There is no such thing as a CHRISTIAN <calculation and tradition of a Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection>. Sure, "superstitious first principles of the world observation" of Sunday existed BEFORE the first century AD. but it never was a Christian development or <calculation> or <observance>,
but only from the fourth or fifth century began to develop into a church <tradition> of "superstitious observation". Galatians 4.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why had there to be those <ecumenical councils> if we <can track the observance of the Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection back to before Emperor Constantine>? If <the calculation and tradition has [Sic.] stood the test of time>, it would have stood fast established all the time. Rather ask, Have the calculation and tradition ever existed? Where is their <test> seen in time or history? There is no such thing as a CHRISTIAN <calculation and tradition of a Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection>. Sure, "superstitious first principles of the world observation" of Sunday existed BEFORE the first century AD. but it never was a Christian development or <calculation> or <observance>,
but only from the fourth or fifth century began to develop into a church <tradition> of "superstitious observation". Galatians 4.

I am not sure exactly what you are getting at. But as it is I think I disagree with you.....

Reactions: amigo de christo

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denied. 100% DENIED! <biblical anchors> are, Scripture - Sola Scriptura.

That is what I am referring to when I am talking biblical anchors. What else can be biblical anchors?
As far as day and year, it is the Bible that makes it clear that the storyline involves the Passover and the Sabbath occurring on the same day.....and the Passover is tied directly to the full moon. No full moon, no Passover.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
a lot of debating has occurred, but only a few have figured it out. About 35 years ago I developed a program for historical and biblical investigation. I call it the Seafarer’s Way because I am an old submariner and it involves hypothetical islands of evidence. Complicated but in short it in involves confidence levels and the amount of evidence and the type of evidence and evidence that connects to other bodies of evidence. The Friday crucifixion and the Sunday resurrection has it all.

A lot of debating has occurred over halve a century, worldwide, MAINLY BY FAR because of my <debating> with <developers> of this NOVELTY and INVENTION. NO ONE has <figured it out>. JUST LIKE YOU, EVERYBODY has his own <program for historical and biblical investigation*> which entails nothing historical and LESS BIBLICAL. *In South Africa it would be called 'strategies and procedures'.
The Way of The I-AM the Alpha and the Omega of the thoughts, love and commitment of the Redeemer Creator-Designer, Developer, Executive and Executor of His Own Will and Faithfulness to Himself, involves no <seafarer’s way (of) hypothetical islands of evidence>, but is the Eternal Revelator and Saviour in Person of God the Son's FULFILLING OF ALL THE FULLNESS OF GOD HIMSELF.
Not the least <complicated>. In short it is a matter of Sola Scripture upon which First Principle of Christian Doctrine, Faith and Conduct SQUARELY STANDS and no amount of disinformation and twisting and mutilating can destroy evidence in the nanno'th degree.

The Fifth Day Self-Sacrifice of the Lamb of God our Passover on “the first day Kill, Remove the Leaven of Life, yea, Cut First Sheaf from your land, Prepare the Passover", and

the Sixth Day I give you Bread to eat for TWO days” - Burial on the second “first day ye shall eat ULB with the flesh and next day let none remain but burn with fire” as burned before Moses in the desert the Bush but destroyed it not; so,

the next day Sabbath before the First Day” “HIGH before the Lord EXALT The Sheaf the third day according to the Scriptures RESURRECTION

REVEALING SATANIC FRAUD <the Sunday resurrection>!

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A lot of debating has occurred over halve a centuty, worldwide, MAINLY FY FAR because of my <debating> with <developers> of this NOVELTY and INVENTION. NO ONE has <figured it out>. JUST LIKE YOU, EVERYBODY has his own <program for historical and biblical investigation*> which entails nothing historical and LESS BIBLICAL. *In South Africa it would be called 'strategies and procedures'.
The Way of The I-AM the Alpha and the Omega of the thoughts, love and commitment of the Redeemer Creator-Designer, Developer, Executive and Executor of His Own Will and Faithfulness to Himself, involves no <seafarer’s way (of) hypothetical islands of evidence>, but is the Eternal Revelator and Saviour in Person of God the Son's FULFILLING OF ALL THE FULLNESS OF GOD HIMSELF.
Not the least <complicated>. In short it is a matter of Sola Scripture upon which First Principle of Christian Doctrine, Faith and Conduct SQUARELY STANDS and no amount of disinformation and twisting and mutalating can destroy evidence in the nanno'th degree.

The Fifth Day Self-Sacrifice of the Lamb of God our Passover on “the first day Kill, Remove the Leaven of Life, yea, Cut First Sheaf from your land, Prepare the Passover", and

the Sixth Day I give you Bread to eat for TWO days” - Burial on the second “first day ye shall eat ULB with the flesh and next day let none remain but burn with fire” as burned before Moses in the desert the Bush but destroyed it not; so,

the next day Sabbath before the First Day” “HIGH before the Lord EXALT The Sheaf the third day according to the Scriptures RESURRECTION

REVEALING SATANIC FRAUD <the Sunday resurrection>!

Maybe it is a regional thing that this will only make sense in Africa? Or is this part of voodoo?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
That is what I am referring to when I am talking biblical anchors. What else can be biblical anchors?
As far as day and year, it is the Bible that makes it clear that the storyline involves the Passover and the Sabbath occurring on the same day.....and the Passover is tied directly to the full moon. No full moon, no Passover.

Stop quoting you as Scripture quoted.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Of course there are several scriptures that indicate that Christ was crucified on the day of preparation for Passover and John 19:31-42 states that…

<Of course> - another blatant and most bizarre LIE OF YOURS!
First, there aren’t <several scriptures>, there is only ONE Scripture that not just <indicate>, but DISTINCTLY STATES, that Christ was crucified while "IT WAS THE PREPARATION OF THE PASSOVER", and that Scripture, is not <John 19:31-42> which <states that…>, it is John 19:14 which states that. Sorry to puncture your balloon again.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<Of course> - another blatant and most bizarre LIE OF YOURS!
First, there aren’t <several scriptures>, there is only ONE Scripture that not just <indicate>, but DISTINCTLY STATES, that Christ was crucified while "IT WAS THE PREPARATION OF THE PASSOVER", and that Scripture, is not <John 19:31-42> which <states that…>, it is John 19:14. Sorry to puncture your balloon again.

I don't mind having my balloon popped!
Your grammar is hard to understand. So are you saying you know what happened on the day of preparation?
Are you saying there are not several scriptures about the day of preparation?