Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi all,
For anyone new to this forum, I offer my video explanation of Passion week. Enjoy.

Jesus Crucified Wednesday.

Reactions: amadeus and APAK

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen some analyses dating the crucifixion. The primary driver is resolving the traditional Good Friday - Easter Sunday calendar with Jesus's "Sign of Jonah" ("...For just as Jonah was in the stomach of the sea monster for three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights") statement. There's also the issue of whether it was 30 AD or 33 AD.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Opps, I misread your question. He rose sometime after Saturday afternoon. The disciples discovered the empty grave on Sunday Morning, and some of the women saw Jesus Sunday Morning, but he might have risen earlier that morning or some time during the night.
I'd think any time after sundown on Saturday. The women found an empty tomb while it was still dark.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jewish day ran from 6AM to 6PM.

Friday Crucifixion. Day ends Friday at 6PM first day and night.
Saturday day ends at 6PM second day and night
Sunday ends at 6PM
The resurrection takes place anytime after 6PM on Saturday and 6Am on Sunday. to meet three days and nights in the tomb.

I've read as well, debates about Temple Guard versus Roman Guard. Because of the translation of Pilate's order "Go take a guard" Instead of "Here's a guard, take them."

It has to be a Roman Guard. They are only ones that can apply the seal of Caesar on anything. It was a Roman condemnation of death and crucifixion. Must be a Roman Guard. That means the Guard on duty is anywhere between 12 to 20 on duty on location. I lean toward 12. Shifts of four hours on guard and eight to twelve off duty. It also means at times twelve awake. Four on Guard, Four ending their shift and four in preparation of their shift. The Bible says "Some of the Guard went to the Pharisees to plead for them to represent an excuse for the tomb being open and body missing. And if I remember correctly the Pharisee's went to Pilate to plead the guard's fate. If it was a Temple Guard, why would Pilate care? The Roman punishment for falling asleep is death. There is no mention anywhere of four guards being put to death. The death is brutal for the failure. The entire guard removed from duty. The ones dishonored by the failure of the four are encircled by the remaining guard. The four in the middle beaten and their clothing removed. There leather armor and clothes set on fire while the circle closes in on the failed guards. The beating so severe to the verge on unconsciousness, then the bodies thrown on top of the burning clothing and burned to death. Brutal way emphasis .....do not fall asleep.

There is no mention of the Temple Guard falling under the same punishment of death. If the Temple had that level of punishment for falling asleep. Someone did a lot of talking to get the Roman Guard not put to death.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello,

In John 12:1 we are told that Jesus arrived at Bethany late in the afternoon on the Friday just as the sun was going down, six day before the pass over. This places the Passover Feast on the following Friday, and if Christ died with the Lambs, then He would have died on the Thursday afternoon around 3:00pm.

Jesus Rode the colt into Jerusalem during the twilight hours on the Saturday evening after the Sabbath Day had ended. After He had entered the Temple, He returned once more to Bethany for the night.

Shalom

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello,

In John 12:1 we are told that Jesus arrived at Bethany late in the afternoon on the Friday just as the sun was going down, six day before the pass over. This places the Passover Feast on the following Friday, and if Christ died with the Lambs, then He would have died on the Thursday afternoon around 3:00pm.

Jesus Rode the colt into Jerusalem during the twilight hours on the Saturday evening after the Sabbath Day had ended. After He had entered the Temple, He returned once more to Bethany for the night.

Shalom
John doesn't mention "Friday"

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John doesn't mention "Friday"

Cady and Zoe, there is enough evidence in the four gospels to suggest that Jesus rode the donkey into Jerusalem during the twilight period after the sun had gone down to herald in the first day of the week. Because Bethany was a short distance from the Temple, there was enough light for Jesus to ride the colt into Jerusalem and to then walk back to Bethany.

I would suggest to you that the crowds that were walking up to Jerusalem from Jericho had timed their walk so that they arrived before the sun would set so that they did not travel any distance on the Sabbath Day, which started at Sunset on the Friday. But since you have also pointed out this requirement for the Jews, I am confident that Jesus did arrive around the time that the sun set.

You statement that John doesn't mention Friday is a laughable argument on your part.

Shalom

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If my analysis is correct, He died on a Wednesday about 3 pm in the afternoon.
This is correct. Also since Christ was entombed by sunset on the same day (which would have been the start of the next day), He arose after three days and three nights. Possibly between midnight and 4:00 a.m. on the first day of the week since that is when the morning star appears, and Christ is also called "the Morning Star". Keeping in mind the fact that God (Christ) rested on the seventh day after His work of creation was finished, it is reasonable to believe that He rested on the Sabbath after His work of redemption was finished.

This goes back to Christ's prophecy regarding the period during which He would be in Sheol/Hades ("the heart of the earth"), preaching to the spirits in prison: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Mt 12:40 cf Jonah 1:17).

Christ died on the day of the Feast of Passover and rose on the day of the Feast of First Fruits. So the next day began the Feast of Unleavened Bread (a "high Sabbath"), which was followed by the weekly Sabbath. And the Feast of First Fruits was "on the morrow after the Sabbath".

In view of this it is impossible that Christ died on Friday and rose on Sunday.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He was resurrected on Saturday around 3 p.m.
Since Sabbath is on Saturday, and Sabbath was (and is) the day of rest (for both God and man), this is incorrect. Furthermore, Christians made the first day of the week -- Sunday -- the day of Christian worship and rest, because Christ rose on this day. Therefore it is also called "the Lord's Day" (Rev 1;10). Christ Himself gave this day a special significance by waiting for seven days before meeting with Thomas after His resurrection on the following Sunday. He could have appeared the very next day, but Jesus was setting a pattern for Christians. Paul also waited for seven days to meet with the disciples on "the first day of the week" in Troas.

Reactions: ArkansasJames

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cady and Zoe, there is enough evidence in the four gospels to suggest that Jesus rode the donkey into Jerusalem during the twilight period after the sun had gone down to herald in the first day of the week. Because Bethany was a short distance from the Temple, there was enough light for Jesus to ride the colt into Jerusalem and to then walk back to Bethany.

I would suggest to you that the crowds that were walking up to Jerusalem from Jericho had timed their walk so that they arrived before the sun would set so that they did not travel any distance on the Sabbath Day, which started at Sunset on the Friday. But since you have also pointed out this requirement for the Jews, I am confident that Jesus did arrive around the time that the sun set.

You statement that John doesn't mention Friday is a laughable argument on your part.

Shalom
Go ahead and laugh. But I'm interested in evidence. John did NOT mention the day of the week. Rather, he said Jesus arrived in Bethany 6 days before Passover, which can be any day of the week depending on the year.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Jesus arrived at Bethany six (6) days prior to Passover (Jn 12:1), hence Saturday. His triumphant entry into Jerusalem was the next day, Sunday (Jn 12:12).
  • They could not crucify him on the Sabbath. So they woke everybody up and did it all Thursday night to Friday morning, to make a Friday crucifixion before the Sabbath began Friday night.
  • John 19:14 says "It was the day of Preparation for the Passover ..." and John 19:31 says "Since it was the day of the Preparation, the Jews did not want the bodies left on the cross during the Sabbath.
  • Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. We know that the Sabbath for Jewish people ALWAYS falls from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. The dawning of the first day of the week was therefore on Sunday.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Go ahead and laugh. But I'm interested in evidence. John did NOT mention the day of the week. Rather, he said Jesus arrived in Bethany 6 days before Passover, which can be any day of the week depending on the year.

But you are not interested in the evidence, only in what you can concoct that seems right to you.

What day was the Passover? It was Friday, which was considered as a Sabbath Day to the Levite Priests. So Jesus was crucified on the Thursday. The last Super in the Upper Room occurred on Thursday Evening, Jewish time, Wednesday evening with respect to how we today define the days of the week.

What you are doing is presenting miss information and because I have justifiably questioned your understanding of how the Crucifixion unfolded, you are trying to discredit what I have suggested based on what you perceive is the silence of the scriptures.

Jesus presented Himself in the Temple on the first day of that week as an acceptable sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of the sins of the people from that time forward. When he returned during the day time of the first day of the week, he set about driving out the sheep and the money changers, because the Temple had been turned into a den of thieves.

I firmly believe that you have not been able to line all of the ducks up in a row to substantiate you presentation that Christ was crucified on the Wednesday and not on the Thursday.

Oh well, have it your way. I am happy for you to claim that your understanding is right, knowing full well that it is not so. Be it on your own head.

Shalom

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • Jesus arrived at Bethany six (6) days prior to Passover (Jn 12:1), hence Saturday. His triumphant entry into Jerusalem was the next day, Sunday (Jn 12:12).
  • They could not crucify him on the Sabbath. So they woke everybody up and did it all Thursday night to Friday morning, to make a Friday crucifixion before the Sabbath began Friday night.
  • John 19:14 says "It was the day of Preparation for the Passover ..." and John 19:31 says "Since it was the day of the Preparation, the Jews did not want the bodies left on the cross during the Sabbath.
  • Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. We know that the Sabbath for Jewish people ALWAYS falls from Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. The dawning of the first day of the week was therefore on Sunday.
Again, Passover is NOT on any particular day of the week. We can't simply assume that it was.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you are not interested in the evidence, only in what you can concoct that seems right to you.

What day was the Passover? It was Friday, which was considered as a Sabbath Day to the Levite Priests. So Jesus was crucified on the Thursday. The last Super in the Upper Room occurred on Thursday Evening, Jewish time, Wednesday evening with respect to how we today define the days of the week.

What you are doing is presenting miss information and because I have justifiably questioned your understanding of how the Crucifixion unfolded, you are trying to discredit what I have suggested based on what you perceive is the silence of the scriptures.

Jesus presented Himself in the Temple on the first day of that week as an acceptable sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of the sins of the people from that time forward. When he returned during the day time of the first day of the week, he set about driving out the sheep and the money changers, because the Temple had been turned into a den of thieves.

I firmly believe that you have not been able to line all of the ducks up in a row to substantiate you presentation that Christ was crucified on the Wednesday and not on the Thursday.

Oh well, have it your way. I am happy for you to claim that your understanding is right, knowing full well that it is not so. Be it on your own head.

Shalom
The day of Passover was NOT Friday. The Day of Passover began Tuesday Evening. You keep saying that Passover was a Friday, which is what YOU must prove, not assume. You are the one presenting misinformation. I take it that you did NOT view my video otherwise you would NOT have say that I was not able to line up all the ducks.

Your attitude reveals to me that your view did not come by reason and evidence but remains a tenant of your religion. Those who hold religious beliefs are not willing to consider evidence because ostensible beliefs come by religious loyalty to dogma, not arguments. You have simply swallowed what they fed you and you swallowed without chewing. You gulped it down for whatever reason.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The day of Passover was NOT Friday. The Day of Passover began Tuesday Evening. You keep saying that Passover was a Friday, which is what YOU must prove, not assume. You are the one presenting misinformation. I take it that you did NOT view my video otherwise you would NOT have say that I was not able to line up all the ducks.

Your attitude reveals to me that your view did not come by reason and evidence but remains a tenant of your religion. Those who hold religious beliefs are not willing to consider evidence because ostensible beliefs come by religious loyalty to dogma, not arguments. You have simply swallowed what they fed you and you swallowed without chewing. You gulped it down for whatever reason.

As I said above in my post that you quoted, "Oh well, have it your way. I am happy for you to claim that your understanding is right, . . ."

Any further discussion with you is pointless.