Did Jesus die on Friday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friday Night
Saturday Day
Saturday Night.

Two nights and one day. Your math is off. You are counting partial nights as partial days by mistake.

There are none so blind as those who refuse to see as you do!

Have the last word. We have reached the end.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was he not a apostate Jew? Some say he became Jewish.

Anyway, I updated my signature just for you. How many authors are there of the Bible? How many are Jewish? :)

Obviously you are unlearned.

What Jews? This world is made of all Gentiles. Jews gave up their position centuries ago. They've intermixed with countless races of men for so long they have no claim to Abraham anymore.

There is only one heir of Abraham. Jesus Christ. One heir. He is a Jew who is one inwardly.

Luk 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously you are unlearned.

What Jews? This world is made of all Gentiles. Jews gave up their position centuries ago. They've intermixed with countless races of men for so long they have no claim to Abraham anymore.

There is only one heir of Abraham. Jesus Christ. One heir. He is a Jew who is one inwardly.

Luk 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Not according to God! We may not know the lineage of th echildren of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, but God does and when it comes to God fulfilling His promises to the physical nation- His knowledge and not ours is what matters!

REplacement theology is a horrendous heresy.

Reactions: Wrangler

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not according to God! We may not know the lineage of th echildren of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, but God does and when it comes to God fulfilling His promises to the physical nation- His knowledge and not ours is what matters!

REplacement theology is a horrendous heresy.

Silly dispensational nonsense. You are dishonoring the single heir of Abraham. Jesus Christ. There is no other seed.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Believe the Scriptures. Who cares what Scofield had to say about anything. He is dead and long forgotten....

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not according to God! We may not know the lineage of th echildren of Abraham Isaac and Jacob, but God does and when it comes to God fulfilling His promises to the physical nation

How much blood of Abraham does it require to be called a "Jew" to you?

I might qualify myself. The patriarchs and kings of Israel impregnated enough foreign women with their seed to fill this entire world. Which is what has happened....

There is no such thing as untainted natural seed of Abraham. There is only ONE HEIR. Jesus Christ alone. THE HEIR of ALL THINGS.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think of "evening" as dinner or supper time.

Where the text lacks clarification, I prefer to think of evening as any hour
between high noon and sunset; just as I prefer to think of morning as any
hour between sunrise and high noon, i.e. AM, PM.

* According to Luke 23:54 and John 19:31-42 Jesus was buried before
sunset.
_

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a question: if a Jewish person goes on a fast for 3 days and 3 nights, how many hours would that be for?

Reactions: praise_yeshua

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Babylonian Talmud comes from the 2nd Temple era.

6th century A.D
The Babylonian Talmud is the culmination of the oral teachings of the scribes and Pharisees that Christ so adamantly rebuked. It is a long collection of books that weren’t put into written form until around the 6th century A.D. It is composed of the Mishnah and Gemara, the rambling of rabbis over the ages.
Silly dispensational nonsense. You are dishonoring the single heir of Abraham. Jesus Christ. There is no other seed.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Believe the Scriptures. Who cares what Scofield had to say about anything. He is dead and long forgotten....

Well the Jews are the descendants of Abraham, I saac and Jacob- that is the nation of Israel! The only promised seed for salvation of Abraham is Jesus! But God made covenants with Israel the nation.

Never studied Scofiled, so can't tell you what he said.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How much blood of Abraham does it require to be called a "Jew" to you?

I might qualify myself. The patriarchs and kings of Israel impregnated enough foreign women with their seed to fill this entire world. Which is what has happened....

There is no such thing as untainted natural seed of Abraham. There is only ONE HEIR. Jesus Christ alone. THE HEIR of ALL THINGS.

What I think has no bearing whatsoever. What God decides is what matters! What the modern day Jews think doesn't matter either! Whom god says is a physical descendant of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is what matters. Last I knew He didn't tell me the criteria He uses.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
6th century A.D
The Babylonian Talmud is the culmination of the oral teachings of the scribes and Pharisees that Christ so adamantly rebuked. It is a long collection of books that weren’t put into written form until around the 6th century A.D. It is composed of the Mishnah and Gemara, the rambling of rabbis over the ages.

So you know when Babylon existed? I agree that the Talmud is silly in many ways. Extremely silly. However, the ruling elite in the Pharisees used it extensively. The traditions that Jesus corrected during his advent came from the Talmud. Thus, you have information from the Talmud referenced in the NT. There is NO criticism found in the NT for the referenced from the Talmud of a "High Sabbath".

You're being ridiculous.

Well the Jews are the descendants of Abraham, I saac and Jacob- that is the nation of Israel! The only promised seed for salvation of Abraham is Jesus! But God made covenants with Israel the nation.

Never studied Scofiled, so can't tell you what he said.

If you going to be a good fundamental dispensationalist, then you should know where the teaching came from.

Instead of dealing with what I said. All you did was repeat yourself. I know why. You can't deal with what I said.

The men of Israel were whoremongers. They disobeyed God. Their seed is nothing more than Gentiles seed now. Besides. There is only one heir. That is Jesus Christ.

All the promises of God are in Jesus Christ. There is no Jew without Jesus. NONE. Zero. Jesus Christ is the heir of all things.

Last edited:

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I think has no bearing whatsoever. What God decides is what matters! What the modern day Jews think doesn't matter either! Whom god says is a physical descendant of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is what matters. Last I knew He didn't tell me the criteria He uses.

Paul told you that there is no Jew that isn't one inwardly. Those who have experienced the new birth. Those are joint-heir with the ONLY heir of Abraham. Jesus Christ.

Believe the Scriptures.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if a Jewish person goes on a fast for 3 days and 3 nights, how many hours
would that be for?

No less than eleven passages in the New Testament attest that Jesus'
crucified dead body was restored to life during the third day rather than
after the third day was completely over and done with.

» Matt 16:21
» Matt 20:17-19
» Matt 17:22-23
» Mark 9:31
» Luke 9:22
» Luke 18:31-33
» Luke 24:1-8
» Luke 24:12-21
» Luke 24:41-46
» Acts 10:39-41
» 1Cor 15:4
_

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What kind of device did you use to cause 2 = 3?
Oh I can count.
It is a very old debate
Approximately 39 hours between the time Christ died on the cross and the time He resurrected on Sunday. Not even two days.
You cannot really count Friday as a day and then....it began to dawn toward the first day of the week....Matthew 28:1 was it dawn or not? Do the Gospels agree? The day starts when it dawns. But either way Sunday cannot be counted as a full day.
I am not sure what you believe but I would not modify the sequence of events in the Gospels to accommodate for the three days and three night statement. I have no issues with the time frame for a few reasons....

You have to be careful about singular statements as oppose to detailed accounts or themes in the New Testament. For example; I am not going to believe I have to hate my mother or father to be a Christian...pretty much hate everybody including myself. “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. Luke 14:26
I am not going to give away everything I own and walk around with nothing but the shirt on my back to be a Christian
I am not going to believe that wealthy people are not going to heaven.
I am not going to believe because we inherited Adam and Eve's tendency to sin, in such a manner that babies are going to hell if they die.
I am not going to believe that women are saved by childbearing. 1st Timothy 2:15
I am not going to believe that the Apostles were living in the last days.
Then..... Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. If it was few back then, we are in big trouble now.

I do not recommend focusing on singular statements because they can change the majority of the New Testaments either directly or indirectly. I take singular statements in stride but do not fixate on them. Of course I do not expect you to take my advise, so you can believe what you want.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a question: if a Jewish person goes on a fast for 3 days and 3 nights, how many hours would that be for?

If he goes on a fast for three days and three nights in the heart of the earth it might be an interesting story.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've had no luck in finding a specific Greek word in the New Testament for
afternoon. It appears to me that the Greek word for evening suffices for
any hour between high noon and sunset.

During Passover season in Israel, days and nights are very nearly equal
length; with days becoming progressively longer than nights after March 21.

Well; if Jesus passed away at 3.pm, then his friends had at least three hours
to find Pilate, get Jesus down from the cross, and prepare his body for burial
before the sun went down. And as the cemetery was nearby the place where
Jesus was crucified, then his friends didn't have all that far to transport his
remains before the pending sabbath began. (Luke 23:54, John 19:31-42)
_

You may find this funny.....
Noon is not a word or a notion in the Ancient Greek....so after-noon would not mean anything to them. Nor do they go with AM and PM. Midday would be how they thought of it and the Greek word for that is μεσημβρίαν...it appears once in the New Testament in Acts 22:6. Now most Bibles do not catch on to fact that noon does not appear in the New Testament scriptures....so when they came upon Acts 22:6 they translated the Greek word for midday to noon---for that one scripture. Which is not wrong as a time, just wrong as a translation. Then the other funny is for Acts 26:13 (another singular occurrence describing the time as the middle of the day) they translate to the English word midday from another set of Greek words.

Midday.JPG

• What time is it? – Τι ώρα είναι; – Ti ora einai.
  • It is (insert number) o’clock. Είναι (insert number) η ώρα. Einai (number) I ora.
  • It is one o’clock. Είναι μία η ώρα. Einai mia I ora.
  • It is two o’clock. Είναι δύο η ώρα. Einai thio I ora.
  • It is ten o’clock. Είναι δέκα η ώρα. Einai theka I ora.
  • It is eleven o’clock. Είναι έντεκα η ώρα. Einai endeka I ora.
  • It is twelve o’clock. Είναι δώδεκα η ώρα. Einai thotheka I ora.
  • It is fourteen o’clock. Είναι δεκατέσσερα η ώρα. Einai thekatessera I ora.
  • It is twenty o’clock. Είναι είκοσι η ώρα. Einai ikosi I ora.
  • It is twenty-three. Είναι είκοσι τρία η ώρα. Einai ikosi tria I ora.
  • It is half past (one). Είναι μία και μισή. Einai mia kai misi.
  • It is quarter past (four). Είναι τέσσερις και τέταρτο. Einai tesseris kai tetarto.
  • It is quarter to (ten). Είναι δέκα παρά τέταρτο. Einai theka para tetarto.
  • It’s midnight. είναι μεσάνυχτα. Einai mesanichta
  • It’s midday. είναι μεσημέρι. Einai mesimeri.
  • In the morning. το πρωί. to proi
  • After midday. το απόγευμα. to apoyevma
  • In the evening. το βράδυ.to vrathi

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure what you believe but I would not modify the sequence of events in the Gospels to accommodate for the three days and three night statement.
I agree. I did not modify the sequence of events. I did not focus on singular statements.