Did Jesus fast for 40 days without water?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Exodus 34:

28 Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.
A person can survive without water for only about 3 days. In the case of Moses, the fast was a supernatural one.

Luke 4:

2 where for forty days He was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and when they had ended, He was hungry.
How could Jesus survive without food for 40 days even though he was fully human?

Fasting for 40 days without food is not uncommon.

Could we safely assume that Jesus had water to drink?

If it was a supernatural fast, then Jesus had no water. It was probably not a supernatural fast, and he had water with him.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34:

A person can survive without water for only about 3 days. In the case of Moses, the fast was a supernatural one.

Luke 4:

How could Jesus survive without food for 40 days even though he was fully human?

If it was a supernatural fast, then Jesus had no water. It was probably not a supernatural fast, and he had water with him.
Whether He did not drink or took water or went to oases' or found springs is very unimportant.

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whether He did not drink or took water or went to oases' or found springs is very unimportant.
Unimportant... hmmm, perhaps, but see where Jesus asked for a drink of water:

Joh 4:7There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
And then he clarifies his purpose for her in offering what He has:

Joh 4:10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
Did Jesus then have available that Living Water during his 40 day fast? Consider that a little later his response when his disciples offered him physical food.

Joh 4:32But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
Did he not also have drink of which they were unaware?

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34:

Luke 4:

The 40 days is what you need to understand.

Noah had how many days of rain?

Israelites wandered in the wilderness for how long?
Elijah ran for how long after the last message and food?

Pick up on the symbolic expressions....
Israel is only a 2 day walk long.

Reactions: MA2444

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I understand, 40 days without food is about the maximum time one can go without food without dying from starvation. And supposedly no one can live for 40 days without water, so Jesus's fast was probably only from food. This would have left Him in poor shape at the end of 40 days even if He did have water. Like it says...Afterward, He was an Hungered! I dont think that was any sort of small statement, He was in bad shape.

But let us remember that Jesus is the one who came to do for us what we could not do ourselves. So I'm thinking that Jesus maybe could have went without water also. After all, He knew who He was and had way more faith in His Father than we ever could...so it's reasonable to assume that...He was sustained by Father God to slightly past the endurance of the human body. His body was wracked with hunger, which is why Angels came to Him afterward and ministered to Him (His body!).

I don't think I would try a 40 day food fast. It sounds terrible. The loongest I have ever fasted was 7 days & nights, but with water. Hunger pains went away after 3 days (?) and the rest of the week was easier. It sounds like the hunger pains come back at some point in a 40 day fast.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34:

Luke 4:

Perhaps you're missing the point.

"Forty days" is a theme throughout scripture, ultimately referred to as a lifetime. In that greater context...each of those passages means much more than what the minds of the thirsty are inclined to consider.

In the case of Moses, the message is that his whole lifetime was sustained--not by water, but by the spirit of God.​

In the case of Jesus, He as much as stated..."I have a kind of food you know nothing about” John 4:32. Again, regarding His whole lifetime.​

Reactions: MA2444

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unimportant... hmmm, perhaps, but see where Jesus asked for a drink of water:

Joh 4:7There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
And then he clarifies his purpose for her in offering what He has:

Joh 4:10Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
Did Jesus then have available that Living Water during his 40 day fast? Consider that a little later his response when his disciples offered him physical food.

Joh 4:32But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.
Did he not also have drink of which they were unaware?
Yes He did ask for water in other situations. But whether or not Jesus drank or didn't in the 40 desert, God decided was unimportant for us to know, otherwise, He would have included it.

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was probably not a supernatural fast, and he had water with him.

You are speculating, especially since you have no scripture that says Jesus had water with Him during this fast.

If Moses was able to go without water for 40 days supernaturally with the Lord's help... we know Jesus can too since Jesus had the Spirit without measure (John 3:34) which Moses did NOT have since he was not a perfect man and God all at the same time as Jesus was and still is.

He's both 100% man and 100% God and as such He is far superior and far more capable than any other person that ever walk on planet earth.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is water in the Judean wilderness....it's just not apparent. EnGhedi has water...at the bottom of a steep ravine. There are also cisterns in various locations that hold water.
Granted...the Judean Wilderness is brutal. A bunch of fist sized rocks cover the hard pan floor. (Extreme trip hazard) No dust, bugs, or birds. Very barren and quiet. And in the summer extremely hot. It is best to stick to roads/trails or find shelter in a cave...maybe a broom tree but there really is NO Vegetation growing. (Except at EnGhedi or other water sources there might be a little)

Judean Wilderness is lonely and brutal....but apparently Lonliness was what Jesus wanted.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 34:

Luke 4:

Why do so many people look for alternatives to anything supernatural when it comes to the deity?

Y'all give new meaning to "Oh, ye of little faith"...

Do you really question a little thing of water... ( perhaps it rained a lot) ... with Jesus 40 days in the wilderness when the man walked on water, turned water into wine, and was resurrected. (To name a few)

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and you are not?

No because Jesus is far more powerful that Moses ever dreamed of.

You should embrace Jesus as being all powerful and during His earthly ministry He had the Holy Spirit without measure as the scripture tells us... Moses did not.