Did Moses have a second wife?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Numbers 12:

1 Miriam and Aaron began to talk against Moses because of his Cushite wife, for he had married a Cushite.
Barnes thought so:

The Ethiopian woman whom he had married - (Hebrew, "Cushite," compare Genesis 2:13; Genesis 10:6) It is likely that Zipporah Exodus 2:21 was dead, and that Miriam in consequence expected to have greater influence than ever with Moses. Her disappointment at his second marriage would consequently be very great.
Keil and Delitzsch agreed:

a short time before, probably after the death of Zipporah, he had contracted a second marriage with a Cushite woman
Jamieson-Fausset-Brown disagreed:

Their irritating disparagement of his wife (who, in all probability, was Zipporah [Ex 2:21], and not a second wife he had recently married) arose from jealousy of the relatives
Pulpit was reasonable:

Some have thought that this Ethiopian woman was none other than the Midianite Zipporah, who might have been called a Cushite in some loose sense by Miriam. The historian, however, would not have repeated in his own name a statement so inaccurate; nor is it at all likely that that marriage would have become a matter of contention after so many years.
The natural supposition undoubtedly is that Moses (whether after the death of Zipporah, or during her lifetime, we cannot tell) had taken to himself a second wife of Hamite origin. Where he found her it is useless to conjecture; she may possibly have been one of the "mixed multitude" that went up out of Egypt. It is equally useless to attribute any moral or religious character to this marriage, of which Holy Scripture takes no direct notice, and which was evidently regarded by Moses as a matter of purely private concern to himself. In general we may say that the rulers of Israel attached neither political, social, nor religious significance to their marriages; and that neither law nor custom imposed any restraint upon their choice, so long as they did not ally themselves with the daughters of Canaan (see Exodus 34:16).
Did Moses have a second wife?

From a straight and simple reading of the verse, I think so.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so also, in Numbers 12 :: , you quoted; the Cushite woman was different from Zipporah the Midianite woman he married when he fled Egypt.

Reactions: BlessedPeace

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.

In at least one other place in the Bible, Midian and Cush are equated:

Hab 3:7 I saw the tents of Cushan in affliction: and the curtains of the land of Midian did tremble.

Also, these terms have more than one meaning. Cushite doesn't just mean "from Cush," it is used in other writings to describe anyone with dark skin. Midianite doesn't just mean "from Midian," it is used to describe any nomadic herder of Arabia.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know for sure, but I don't think so.

In at least one other place in the Bible, Midian and Cush are equated:

Hab 3:7 I saw the tents of Cushan in affliction: and the curtains of the land of Midian did tremble.

Also, these terms have more than one meaning. Cushite doesn't just mean "from Cush," it is used in other writings to describe anyone with dark skin. Midianite doesn't just mean "from Midian," it is used to describe any nomadic herder of Arabia.

According to the Jewish historian Josephus-- he had another Cushite wife-- a princess, named Tharbis. She was likely his first wife.

Last edited:

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he could have had many wives. Abraham and David did. Why not Moses?
The thing about marriages in that period - they were mostly treaties. If Moses, as the head of Israel at the time, was married more than once, that would have meant Israel had a treaty with... someone. And that probably would have been notable enough to have been recorded.