Did Peter Really Walk On The Water Or Was It Symbolic ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
My Mom seems to think that Peter walking on the water was symbolic for how we are to walk by faith and not by sight and the consequences of each. I however, believe that Peter literally walked on the water just as it was written. What do you guys think ?

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
My Mom seems to think that Peter walking on the water was symbolic for how we are to walk by faith and not by sight and the consequences of each. I however, believe that Peter literally walked on the water just as it was written. What do you guys think ?

Can you please ask your Mom to provide Bible verses or chapters to support that view?

Thank you, I will be interested in reading those.

God bless.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, does she believe this?

(Heb 1:3) Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Then upholding Peter was no biggie.

Peltast

Dec 26, 2011
If Peter did not really walk on water, did a donkey really speak? Did a serpent really speak? Did an axe head really float? Did Jesus really turn water into wine? Did he really rise from the dead?

Believe one miracle, and you might as well believe them all.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
The fact is it does not really matter if he did walk on the water so much but as we see that in the understanding of walking on water is in Gen 1 where the Spirit moved over the water. Jesus is the Spirit ? now Peter had his eyes and hands out coming to and fixed on Christ is he did walk but that in taking his eyes of Christ he fell. as we all will in the same.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I believe he really walked on the water! If Moses had not really seen the sea part then no one would have told of a miracle that did not really happen.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Either God's Word is trustworthy and Peter did walk on water or we are just treading water wasting our time with the bible by it being taken as symbolic or allegory and not literal.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stories still have meanings

You are quite right.

The incident as recorded in three of the four gospels was recorded for a reason.

Water was a symbol for a lot of things depending upon it's state of being.

Falling water (rain,snow or Dew ) was a gift from Heaven and God.

Running water was referred to as Living Water...another of thousands of idioms of speech but all Mikvehs (Jewish ceremonial bathing facilities) had to contain living water even if it was just a trickle.

Stored water as in cysterns or jars became brakish/bitter and undrinkable if stored for too long.

all water flowed into the sea...which was known to be symbolic of sin as it was always tossing and turning and never restful.

so if we look at several different passages we see that water is symbolic in a lot of ways of laws...either God's laws (anything God says is Law) or as loose as man's traditions as they relate to God's laws.

So...this story is as much prophesy as it is anything...and by prophesy I mean both forthtelling as well as foretelling of future events.

During the last Gulf war we seen the Iraqi citizens putting the soles of their feet on pictures of Sadaam Hussein as a sign of utter contempt for the man. It played out right there on international television for all too see. The symbolic gesture hasn't changed at all over the millenium.

So when Jesus went walking on the Sea of Gallilee it wasn't just for the ocean breeze. He was symbolically saying that he hated what man had done with all of his laws. He was going to trample and show his utter contempt by breaking every single one of them. And indeed all of the stories immediately following this story are of how Jesus broke all of the Jewish people's traditions. Such as having a Samaritan ministry...healing on the Sabbath and many other traditions.

Peter climbed out of the boat and started walking on the water that just a few days before he had been fishing in because his rabbi was walking there. His job as a disciple was to be like his rabbi....meaning to walk how and where his rabbi did. And so he got a stepping. He was successful. But in the future Luke tells of Peter falling short in the Law keeping department and how Paul had to give him a lecture of correction. Paul too tells of this encounter as it related to the Gentiles and what message this was sending to all the Gentile believers. (yep...he had a very bad day that day...kinda sucks and is wonderful all at the same time when you realize that God knows what sins you are going to commit in the future) And that is the reason he started to sink that night on the Sea of Gallilee...Jesus was showing him something. (His paying attention to the wind and the waves was symbolic as well as reality but not having much to do with the reality of his sinking...that was all Jesus as was his ability to walk there to begin with)

and that is the reason and meaning of the story.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I believe he really walked on the water! If Moses had not really seen the sea part then no one would have told of a miracle that did not really happen.
And in another Jesus was asleep in the boat ? and they got him up and the wind and waves obey him ?
I think it all has to do with abiding in him and we will be ok. as he is who he is end of story.
If we are not in him we are finished doomed with no hope as we will be tossed about as such.
If we have true faith in Jesus we can move mountains.

But if one has silly faith like believing that someone did something once and that it's all done and finished as if we need only have silly faith and we are going to be saved ? with out bearing fruit. you have to be joking. that is not it.
Faith without the works in Christ is dead.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
22 Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home.23 After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.24 Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves.25 About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water.26 When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here! 28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus.30 But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?”32 When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.33 Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.
Matt 14:22-33 (NLT)

Truth is, if we will look in the right direction, Jesus can always be seen walking on top of what ever is troubling us.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
22 Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home.23 After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.24 Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves.25 About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water.26 When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here! 28 Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”29 “Yes, come,” Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus.30 But when he saw the strong wind and the waves, he was terrified and began to sink. “Save me, Lord!” he shouted.31 Jesus immediately reached out and grabbed him. “You have so little faith,” Jesus said. “Why did you doubt me?”32 When they climbed back into the boat, the wind stopped.33 Then the disciples worshiped him. “You really are the Son of God!” they exclaimed.
Matt 14:22-33 (NLT)

Truth is, if we will look in the right direction, Jesus can always be seen walking on top of what ever is troubling us.
Hi jiggyfly, I finally asked my Mom whether or not she believes that Jesus walked on the water and she said that He could do anything but that does'nt neccesarily mean that Peter walking on the water was not symbolic, much like us not really having to turn the other cheek to get slapped again. I understand the point she is trying to make but I still don't agree with her...bless her heart :)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Hi jiggyfly, I finally asked my Mom whether or not she believes that Jesus walked on the water and she said that He could do anything but that does'nt neccesarily mean that Peter walking on the water was not symbolic, much like us not really having to turn the other cheek to get slapped again. I understand the point she is trying to make but I still don't agree with her...bless her heart :)

In this scripture account, I don't think it is probable that part can be literal and part allegory or symbolic, it could however be probable that the whole account is literal while conveying a dynamic symbolism.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I think, both. Walking on water vs sinking is symbolic of several things. Sinking symbolic of what happens with lack of faith. Seas symbolic of sin and mans in ability to overcome without Christ. Walking symbolic of walking in the spirit. I have more thoughts but I'm on my phone will add more later.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
In this scripture account, I don't think it is probable that part can be literal and part allegory or symbolic, it could however be probable that the whole account is literal while conveying a dynamic symbolism.
I totally agree and thank you for the dialogue

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I think, both. Walking on water vs sinking is symbolic of several things. Sinking symbolic of what happens with lack of faith. Seas symbolic of sin and mans in ability to overcome without Christ. Walking symbolic of walking in the spirit. I have more thoughts but I'm on my phone will add more later.
Yes see faith ? little and more, so yes she can grow. true faith in Jesus Christ is the way but little does not cut it.
It must be mature true faith or you will be dragged down below with Satan.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
100% I believe Peter walked on the water.
100%.

When Man understands who and what he is - what he is made of - what we call real, substance and matter is
he will also be able to 'control' atoms with his knowledge, faith and understanding - easily walking through
walls that seem to be 'real' or 'solid' or 'dense'.

When the limitations of Man's perceptions are overcome we will be able to see these things as common place -
when the Supernatural is natural.
:)

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
100% I believe Peter walked on the water.
100%.

When Man understands who and what he is - what he is made of - what we call real, substance and matter is
he will also be able to 'control' atoms with his knowledge, faith and understanding - easily walking through
walls that seem to be 'real' or 'solid' or 'dense'.

When the limitations of Man's perceptions are overcome we will be able to see these things as common place -
when the Supernatural is natural.
:)

Kinda sounds like a word of faith message MH, Who and what do you believe man is?