Did the body of Jesus experience decay?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus prepared Jesus' body in John 19:

39b Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. 40Taking Jesus’ body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs.
Wrapping Jesus' body in spices was done customarily while Acts 2:27 was an unusual happening:

For You will not abandon my soul to Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
The spices could not stop decay. It was the supernatural act of God to prevent decay.

But then, ESV Acts 13:

34 as for the fact that he raised him from the dead, no more to return to corruption, he has spoken in this way, “‘I will give you the holy and sure blessings of David.’
Does the "no more" imply that the corruption did occur?

Perhaps the process of corruption or decay was triggered after the last breadth but then God halted that process. The result was that Jesus' body did not undergo decay.

Yes, in the sense that the decay process had started.

No, in the sense that God immediately halted the process.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What will it help to answer while before so many times it helped not? Jesus from conception and birth to Last Paschal Suffering Humiliation and Self Sacrifice REMAINED THE SPOTLESS IMMACULATE LAMB OF GOD TRIUMPHANT UNBLEMISHED LORD AND SAVIOUR GOD my God.

O I am so tired, Jesus, take me to you and with you to WHERE YOU CAME FROM "in God" and God in you, my Saviour Lord and God!

Reactions: ChristisGod

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Wrapping Jesus' body in spices was done customarily while Acts 2:27 was an unusual happening......The spices could not stop decay. It was the supernatural act of God:
22Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God _ 24Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it. _ 26 moreover also [as did his soul] my flesh shall rest in hope: _ 27Because thou wilt [FROM EVERLATING] not leave [commit] my soul in hell [in grave, nor in pains], neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. 28Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; _ God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32This Jesus hath God raised up, _ 33Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34_ ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand _ know assuredly, that God hath made THAT SAME Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Jesus the Lamb of God NEVER was blemished, NEVER in any way whatsoever. Roman Catholics worship their own fabrication of a bloody pathetic who NEVER could be "my Lord and my God" the Saviour of a Thomas of true Christian faith.

Chronology Night Solemnly to be Observed
Exodus 12:17
This selfsame day have I brought your armies out of the land of Egypt: therefore shall ye observe this day 51the selfsame day, 42night, to be much observed unto the LORD for bringing them out: THIS IS THAT NIGHT of the LORD.

Body Prepared first day Unleavened Bread Feast – Thursday night
Mark 15

Καὶ ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης ἐπεὶ ἦν Παρασκευή ὅ ἐστιν Προσάββατον….
43ἐλθὼν Ἰωσὴφ καὶ ᾐτήσατο τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ
44Ὁ δὲ Πειλᾶτος ἐθαύμασεν εἰ ἤδη τέθνηκεν, καὶ προσκαλεσάμενος τὸν κεντυρίωνα ἐπηρώτησεν αὐτὸν εἰ πάλαι ἀπέθανεν·
45καὶ γνοὺς ἀπὸ τοῦ κεντυρίωνος ἐδωρήσατο τὸ πτῶμα τῷ Ἰωσήφ. 46Καὶ ἀγοράσας σινδόνα καθελὼν αὐτὸν ἐνείλησεν τῇ σινδόνι….

Matthew 27

57 Ὀψίας δὲ γενομένης
ἦλθεν Ἰωσήφ· ἄνθρωπος πλούσιος ἀπὸ
Ἀριμαθαίας, τοὔνομα Ἰωσήφ, ὃς καὶ αὐτὸς ἐμαθητεύθη τῷ Ἰησοῦ·
58οὗτος προσελθὼν τῷ Πειλάτῳ ᾐτήσατο τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ.
τότε ὁ Πειλᾶτος ἐκέλευσεν ἀποδοθῆναι.
59καὶ λαβὼν τὸ σῶμα ὁ Ἰωσὴφ ἐνετύλιξεν αὐτὸ ἐν σινδόνι καθαρᾷ,

John 19

Ἦν γὰρ μεγάλη ἡ ἡμέρα ἐκείνου τοῦ σαββάτου ἐπεὶ οὖν Παρασκευὴ ἦν,
ἵνα μὴ μείνῃ ἐπὶ τοῦ σταυροῦ τὰ σώματα ἐν τῷ σαββάτῳ, οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι, ἠρώτησαν
τὸν Πειλᾶτον ἵνα κατεαγῶσιν αὐτῶν τὰ σκέλη καὶ ἀρθῶσιν. 32Ἦλθον οὖν οἱ στρατιῶται,
καὶ τοῦ μὲν πρώτου κατέαξαν τὰ σκέλη καὶ τοῦ ἄλλου τοῦ συνσταυρωθέντος αὐτῷ.
33Ἐπὶ δὲ τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἐλθόντες, ὡς εἶδον ἤδη αὐτὸν τεθνηκότα, οὐ κατέαξαν αὐτοῦ τὰ σκέλη.
34Ἀλλ’ εἷς, τῶν στρατιωτῶν, λόγχῃ αὐτοῦ τὴν πλευρὰν ἔνυξεν, καὶ ἐξῆλθεν εὐθὺς αἷμα καὶ ὕδωρ. 35καὶ ὁ ἑωρακὼς μεμαρτύρηκεν, καὶ ἀληθινὴ αὐτοῦ ἐστιν ἡ μαρτυρία,
καὶ ἐκεῖνος οἶδεν ὅτι ἀληθῆ λέγει, ἵνα καὶ ὑμεῖς πιστεύητε. 36Ἐγένετο γὰρ ταῦτα, ἵνα ἡ γραφὴ
πληρωθῇ· Ὀστοῦν οὐ συντριβήσεται αὐτοῦ. 37καὶ πάλιν ἑτέρα γραφὴ, λέγει· Ὄψονται εἰς ὃν
ἐξεκέντησαν. 38Ὢν μαθητὴς τοῦ Ἰησοῦ μετὰ δὲ ταῦτα, Ἰωσὴφ ἀπὸ Ἀριμαθαίας, διὰ τὸν φόβον τῶν Ἰουδαίων, κεκρυμμένος δὲ, ἠρώτησεν τὸν Πειλᾶτον ἵνα ἄρῃ τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ.
Καὶ ἐπέτρεψεν ὁ Πειλᾶτος Ἰωσὴφ τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ. Ἦλθεν οὖν, καὶ ἦρεν τὸ σῶμα αὐτοῦ.
39Ἦλθεν δὲ καὶ ὁ Νικόδημος πρὸς αὐτὸν [Ἰωσὴφ] Νυκτὸς Τὸ Πρῶτον, ἐλθὼν φέρων mγμα
σμύρνης καὶ ἀλόης ὡς λίτρας ἑκατόν. 40Ἔλαβον οὖν τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ καὶ ἔδησαν αὐτὸ
ὀθονίοις μετὰ τῶν ἀρωμάτων καθὼς ἔθος ἐστὶν τοῖς Ἰουδαίοις ἐνταφιάζειν.

Luke 23

Καὶ ἰδοὺ ἀνὴρ ὀνόματι Ἰωσὴφ, βουλευτὴς ὑπάρχων, ἀνὴρ ἀγαθὸς καὶ δίκαιος, 51οὗτος οὐκ ἦν συνκατατεθειμένος τῇ βουλῇ καὶ τῇ πράξει αὐτῶν, ἀπὸ Ἀριμαθαίας πόλεως τῶν Ἰουδαίων, ὃς προσεδέχετο τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ Θεοῦ, 52οὗτος προσελθὼν τῷ Πειλάτῳ ᾐτήσατο τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ, 53καὶ καθελὼν ἐνετύλιξεν αὐτὸ σινδόνι.

Chronology Day Solemnly to be Observed
Interred Friday
Mark 15

Καὶ ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης ἐπεὶ ἦν Παρασκευή ὅ ἐστιν Προσάββατον….
43ἐλθὼν Ἰωσὴφ καὶ ᾐτήσατο τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ….
45Καὶ [σάββατον ἐπέφωσκεν ἦν ΠαρασκευῆςLk23:54] τὸ πτῶμα
46κατέθηκεν ἐν μνήματι ὃ ἦν λελατομημένον ἐκ πέτρας,
καὶ προσεκύλισεν λίθον ἐπὶ τὴν θύραν τοῦ μνημείου.
47ἡ δὲ Μαρία ἡ Μαγδαληνὴ καὶ Μαρία ἡ Ἰωσῆτος ἐθεώρουν ποῦ τέθειται.

Interred Friday
Matthew 27

57 Ὀψίας δὲ γενομένης

ἦλθεν Ἰωσήφ· 58Οὗτος προσελθὼν τῷ Πειλάτῳ ᾐτήσατο τὸ σῶμα τοῦ Ἰησοῦ.
59Τὸ σῶμα ὁ Ἰωσὴφ [σάββατον ἐπέφωσκεν ἦν ΠαρασκευῆςLk23:54]
60ἔθηκεν ἐν τῷ καινῷ αὐτοῦ μνημείῳ ὃ ἐλατόμησεν ἐν τῇ πέτρᾳ,
καὶ προσκυλίσας λίθον μέγαν τῇ θύρᾳ τοῦ μνημείου ἀπῆλθεν.
61Ἦν δὲ ἐκεῖ Μαριὰμ ἡ Μαγδαληνὴ καὶ ἡ ἄλλη Μαρία
καθήμεναι ἀπέναντι τοῦ τάφου.

Interred Friday
John 19

40Καθὼς ἔθος
ἐστὶν τοῖς Ἰουδαίοις ἐνταφιάζειν·
41ἦν δὲ μνημεῖον καινόν, ἐν ᾧ οὐδέπω οὐδεὶς ἦν τεθειμένος·
42ἐκεῖ οὖν διὰ τὴν τῶν Ἰουδαίων παρασκευὴν
ὅτι
ἐγγὺς ἦν τὸ μνημεῖον, ἔθηκαν τὸν Ἰησοῦν

Interred Friday
Luke 23

53ἔθηκεν αὐτὸν ἐν μνήματι λαξευτῷ, οὗ οὐκ ἦν οὐδεὶς οὔπω κείμενος.
54Καὶ ἡμέρα ἦν Παρασκευῆς καὶ σάββατον ἐπέφωσκεν.
55Κατακολουθήσασαι δὲ αἱ δύο(D29it.) γυναῖκες αἵτινες
ἦσαν συνεληλυθυῖαι ἐκ τῆς Γαλιλαίας αὐτῷ,
ἐθεάσαντο τὸ μνημεῖον καὶ ὡς ἐτέθη τὸ σῶμα αὐτοῦ.
56Ὑποστρέψασαι δὲ ἡτοίμασαν ἀρώματα καὶ μύρα.
Καὶ τὸ μὲν σάββατον ἡσύχασαν κατὰ τὴν ἐντολήν.

Attachments

• Hart van die Evangelie pdf.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: ChristisGod

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus prepared Jesus' body in John 19:

Wrapping Jesus' body in spices was done customarily while Acts 2:27 was an unusual happening:

The spices could not stop decay. It was the supernatural act of God to prevent decay.

But then, ESV Acts 13:

Does the "no more" imply that the corruption did occur?

Perhaps the process of corruption or decay was triggered after the last breadth but then God halted that process. The result was that Jesus' body did not undergo decay.

Yes, in the sense that the decay process had started.

No, in the sense that God immediately halted the process.
It would appear his body did not experience decay, as he rose from the dead and ascended into heaven.