Why did the women want to anoint the body of Jesus after the burial?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No! Let us first put it straight, you have NO Scripture between the apostrophes, you have a FALSE, falsely claimed 'translation', in other words, there is FRAUD between the quotation marks. And to prove what I say is true, I ask you to quote the Greek words ostensibly translated, 'and the next day was a High Sabbath'. You cannot. No Greek words to prove you case means the absence of Greek words proves my case. But more, the real Greek words are the prove that:
Since it was Preparation (already having become evening Mark 15:42)
ἐπεὶ Παρασκευὴ ἦν (ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης Mark 15:42)

because That Day was the High-day-of-rest-of(the First Sheaf)
ἦν γὰρ μεγάλη ἡ ἡμέρα ἐκείνου τοῦ σαββάτου.

the Jews then / therefore besought Pilate, that
οἱ οὖν Ἰουδαῖοι ἠρώτησαν τὸν Πειλᾶτον· ἵνα

the bodies should not remain on the cross on the day-of-rest-of(the First Sheaf)
μὴ μείνῃ ἐπὶ τοῦ σταυροῦ τὰ σώματα ἐν τῷ σαββάτῳ

their legs might be broken and they might be taken away.
ἵνα κατεαγῶσιν αὐτῶν τὰ σκέλη καὶ ἀρθῶσιν (τὰ σώματα).

Very good = it is important to explain your POV - thank you

i will now go to Strongs and see what the text is..........from John 19:31

[the] day of Preparation,
Παρασκευὴ (Paraskeuē)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 3904: The day of preparation, the day before the Sabbath, Friday. As if from paraskeuazo; readiness.

ἐκείνου (ekeinou)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's Greek 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

day
ἡμέρα (hēmera)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

was
ἦν (ēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

a High
μεγάλη (megalē)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's Greek 3173: Large, great, in the widest sense.

Sabbath.
σαββάτου (sabbatou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's Greek 4521: The Sabbath, a week.

OK - your turn to actually see what is going on here as there is a HIGH SABBATH that is the holiest as it is the Beginning of the Salvation that Moses and the Israelites worn Commanded by God or Death.

What is that High Sabbath?

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No! Let us first put it straight, you have NO Scripture between the apostrophes, you have a FALSE, falsely claimed 'translation', in other words, there is FRAUD between the quotation marks. And to prove what I say is true, I ask you to quote the Greek words ostensibly translated, 'and the next day was a High Sabbath'. You cannot. No Greek words to prove your case means the absence of Greek words proves my case. But more, the real Greek words are the prove that:
Since it was Preparation (already having become evening Mark 15:42)
ἐπεὶ Παρασκευὴ ἦν (ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης Mark 15:42)

because That Day was the High-day-of-rest-of(the First Sheaf)
ἦν γὰρ μεγάλη ἡ ἡμέρα ἐκείνου τοῦ σαββάτου.

the Jews then / therefore besought Pilate, that
οἱ οὖν Ἰουδαῖοι ἠρώτησαν τὸν Πειλᾶτον· ἵνα

the bodies should not remain on the cross on the day-of-rest-of(the First Sheaf)
μὴ μείνῃ ἐπὶ τοῦ σταυροῦ τὰ σώματα ἐν τῷ σαββάτῳ

their legs might be broken and they might be taken away.
ἵνα κατεαγῶσιν αὐτῶν τὰ σκέλη καὶ ἀρθῶσιν (τὰ σώματα).
lol friend

You just proved my point - thank you

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What is that High Sabbath?
Read my posts. "That DAY, was, great (kind) of sabbath-of-" the passover; read where that day started back in Mark 15:42, "evening already come...since it was the Preparation which is the Fore-sabbath" none other than Friday the Sixth Day beginning Thursday after sunset the BODIES STILL HANGING ON THE CROSSES.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read my posts. "That DAY, was, great (kind) of sabbath-of-" the passover; read where that day started back in Mark 15:42, "evening already come...since it was the Preparation which is the Fore-sabbath" none other than Friday the Sixth Day beginning Thursday after sunset the BODIES STILL HANGING ON THE CROSSES.
You again proved my point - thank you

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You just proved my point - thank you
You put a sad face on the Bible-answer to 'your point', <"It was the day of Preparation, and the next day was a High Sabbath.> Which means that your point is that the Verb 'ehn' is Future Tense, not Past Perfect in English, thus <the NEXT day was 'ehn' High day>=<the next future day WOULD be High day>.
There are myriads more examples of the Verb ehn's use like what I am giving you, "Mark 15:46b καὶ κατέθηκεν αὐτὸν ἐν μνήματι ὃ ἦν λελατομημένον ἐκ πέτρας" - "he put him in a tomb that WAS - 'ἦν' - hewn out of rock", meaning in English a Past Perfect for the Aorist: "HAD been hewn". Which is the perfect and exclusive only sense of the same Verb here in Mark 15:42 and John 19:31---"evening the Preparation HAD BEEN - ἦν" - Jn19:31 Παρασκευὴ ἦν, and, "HAD BEEN ALREADY" Mk15:42 ἤδη ὀψίας γενομένης, and, "HAD BEEN ALREADY SINCE" 'ἐπεὶ Παρασκευὴ ἦν'--"since these things the Jews asked Pilate". "The Preparation HAD ALREADY BEGUN SINCE AFTER THESE THINGS WHEN IT ALREADY HAD BEEN EVENING AND THE JEWS HAD ASKED PILATE THEIR THINGS AFTER WHICH JOSEPH TURNED UP." The Preparation would not be or follow <the next day>. That is as fraudulent as fraud can be. The Preparation WAS : That Day High Day kind of sabbath of passover-- it was not the weekly Sabbath, if that is what your point was. Just to inform you about Bible-answer principle.

Last edited:
Reactions: David in NJ

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
was
ἦν (ēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's Greek 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.
HERE IS THE PROBLEM, THE FRAUD, THE MALICIOUS MISCHIEVOUS DECEPTION BY THE LEARNED SCHOLARS, THEY WILL ANSWER FOR ON JUDGEMENT DAY TO GOD IN PERSON.

Reactions: David in NJ

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you interpret Mark 16:
I am just telling you what the customs of the Jews were.
Mark 16 says what it says. I did not over look that but it starts a series of questions. But you might want to take a look at the Jewish burial process. It is actually a long process. All things being normal they would let the body rot until all that was left was bones and they would be placed in an ossuary. But until then the family members would sprinkle spices around and set flowers in the tomb to combat the stink, to make it more tolerable for those that were visiting. Of course they were not planning on any of this because He would resurrect in 39 hours.

So what where the ladies doing? Probably more questions than answers.
John 19: 39 Nicodemus also, who earlier had come to Jesus by night, came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds in weight. 40 So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen cloths with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. 41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.

So it looks like the men had already prepared Christ’s body with plenty of myrrh and aloes and wrapped it in linen…."binding in linen" had a specific method. So then, with Him wrapped in linen and all ready prepared what where they going to anoint? And why?

You have to deal with the Gospels not entirely agreeing on this part of the story. But this all may allude to a larger part of the story and I have heard several speculations on. The Jewish burial process does not include anointing. Anointing is a specific thing and you need to look at that to. Messiah….anointed one….so he had to be anointed? And why was it that only women anointed Yeshua….What is the meaning of that? Then again the scriptures are saying it was spices that they were going to anoint Yeshua with….They did not use spices for anointing. But why do the scriptures say once again that women were going to anoint Christ?

Once again the women were showing dedication and courage while the Apostles were still hiding. And the women’s reaction to Christ was a lot different than the Apostles, when they heard of His resurrection and when He appeared to them. So then did they really believe?

Then after all that it was a woman that announced the resurrection of Christ. The most significant proclamation in the scriptures and it was Christ that gave her that privilege. Was this a planned event? And why?

So I am not denying that the women were going to Christ’s tomb for a reason.
The question is, what and why?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Let us FIRST look at this scripture friend:

"It was the day of Preparation, and the next day was a High Sabbath.
In order that the bodies would not remain on the cross during the Sabbath, the Jews asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies removed."

What was the 'High Sabbath' of the next day per the scripture posted herein.
Let us FIRST look at this fact: Correct, another refutation of your fraudulent above post! You have posted herein no Scripture that was the 'High Sabbath' of the next day. The <'High Sabbath' of the next day> is YOU saying, by posting.

This Scripture that begins: "It was the day of Preparation, and the…” is Mark 15:42 or and John 19:31, and goes on like this:
John 19:31, "It was the day of Preparation, and since evening had come already the Jews asked Pilate the bones should be broken…”
or,
Mark 15:42 “It was the day of Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath (the Sixth Day) ... and since evening had come already Joseph asked Pilate for the body
NOT THE SABBATH AS YOU SAY,

That Day” which had started sunset and evening “WAS great day of sabbath of some sort of” (the passover) not only <"next day”> but was the <‘High Sabbath’> “since” sunset "since evening had begun already”.

THIS is the crux, because here was the dividing between the day Jesus Died on before sunset before evening of the Preparation, and the day Jesus got Buried on after sunset after the evening, “on the SELFSAME day”, of the Preparation (Friday) as it happened to be according to both New and Old Testament Scripture.

The scholars and Church hierarchy want the events of <‘the Preparation day’> (John 19:14) to occur on <‘the next day’> by transferring the Event – the Crucifixion and Death of Jesus – FORWARD ONTO the day which began and was and ended “the Preparation due to the Jews’ preparation” (for the Sabbath John 19:42), SO THATthe third day He said I Risefell on Sunday.

That is what is Biblical FRAUD.

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Let proposition P1 = The women went to Jesus' tomb to anoint his body.
P2 = They had no intention to anoint Jesus' body.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let us FIRST look at this fact: Correct, another refutation of your fraudulent above post! You have posted herein no Scripture that was the 'High Sabbath' of the next day. The <'High Sabbath' of the next day> is YOU saying, by posting.

This Scripture that begins: "It was the day of Preparation, and the…” is Mark 15:42 or and John 19:31, and goes on like this:
John 19:31, "It was the day of Preparation, and since evening had come already the Jews asked Pilate the bones should be broken…”
or,
Mark 15:42 “It was the day of Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath (the Sixth Day) ... and since evening had come already Joseph asked Pilate for the body
NOT THE SABBATH AS YOU SAY,

That Day” which had started sunset and evening “WAS great day of sabbath of some sort of” (the passover) not only <"next day”> but was the <‘High Sabbath’> “since” sunset "since evening had begun already”.

THIS is the crux, because here was the dividing between the day Jesus Died on before sunset before evening of the Preparation, and the day Jesus got Buried on after sunset after the evening, “on the SELFSAME day”, of the Preparation (Friday) as it happened to be according to both New and Old Testament Scripture.

The scholars and Church hierarchy want the events of <‘the Preparation day’> (John 19:14) to occur on <‘the next day’> by transferring the Event – the Crucifixion and Death of Jesus – FORWARD ONTO the day which began and was and ended “the Preparation due to the Jews’ preparation” (for the Sabbath John 19:42), SO THATthe third day He said I Risefell on Sunday.

That is what is Biblical FRAUD.
I never said the 'preparation day' was the sabbath.

Scripture says: "the next day was High Sabbath"

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am just telling you what the customs of the Jews were.
Mark 16 says what it says. I did not over look that but it starts a series of questions. But you might want to take a look at the Jewish burial process. It is actually a long process. All things being normal they would let the body rot until all that was left was bones and they would be placed in an ossuary. But until then the family members would sprinkle spices around and set flowers in the tomb to combat the stink, to make it more tolerable for those that were visiting. Of course they were not planning on any of this because He would resurrect in 39 hours.

So what where the ladies doing? Probably more questions than answers.
John 19: 39 Nicodemus also, who earlier had come to Jesus by night, came bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds in weight. 40 So they took the body of Jesus and bound it in linen cloths with the spices, as is the burial custom of the Jews. 41 Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.

So it looks like the men had already prepared Christ’s body with plenty of myrrh and aloes and wrapped it in linen…."binding in linen" had a specific method. So then, with Him wrapped in linen and all ready prepared what where they going to anoint? And why?

You have to deal with the Gospels not entirely agreeing on this part of the story. But this all may allude to a larger part of the story and I have heard several speculations on. The Jewish burial process does not include anointing. Anointing is a specific thing and you need to look at that to. Messiah….anointed one….so he had to be anointed? And why was it that only women anointed Yeshua….What is the meaning of that? Then again the scriptures are saying it was spices that they were going to anoint Yeshua with….They did not use spices for anointing. But why do the scriptures say once again that women were going to anoint Christ?

Once again the women were showing dedication and courage while the Apostles were still hiding. And the women’s reaction to Christ was a lot different than the Apostles, when they heard of His resurrection and when He appeared to them. So then did they really believe?

Then after all that it was a woman that announced the resurrection of Christ. The most significant proclamation in the scriptures and it was Christ that gave her that privilege. Was this a planned event? And why?

The question is, what and why?
Because Eve came from Adam's side.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I never said the 'preparation day' was the sabbath.

Scripture says: "the next day was High Sabbath"
Scripture does NOT say: <the next day was High Sabbath>; Scripture much rather says the 'preparation day' was the sabbath. John 19:31 uses the words twice, of, "on the sabbath" the Jews did not want to have the crucified to remain hanging on the cross, and again in the clause which expresses the reason why the Jews did not like the idea of the crucified remaining on the crosses "on the sabbath" - which reason for them, was - "because That Day was great day of kind of sabbath of"---the passover! The Jews' Great and High Day of Pride, Pomp and Circumstance at this crucial moment in their entire history the first time ever called "sabbath-kind-of-great-day" by themselves! "Therefore the Jews, asked Pilate" - that's what this Scripture says. Remember it is not John or Scripture calling "That Day", 'great' or 'sabbath'; it is the Jews.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture does NOT say: "the next day was High Sabbath"; Scripture much rather says the 'preparation day' was the sabbath. John 19:31 uses the words twice, of, "on the sabbath" the Jews did not want to have the crucified to remain hanging on the cross, and again in the clause which expresses the reason why the Jews did not like the idea of the crucified remaining on the crosses "on the sabbath" - which reason for them, was - "because That Day was great day of kind of sabbath of"---the passover! The Jews' Great and High Day of Pride, Pomp and Circumstance at this crucial moment in their entire history the first time ever called "sabbath-kind-of-great-day". "Therefore the Jews asked Pilate" - that's what this Scripture says.
Dear Friend,

Have you gathered that the LORD laid down His Life on Pesach/Passover ???

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight.

My belief is in truth and it cannot be shaken.
I say the truth and admit the facts and admit what we do not know.
Belief, Truth, Facts…..Beliefs can be anything….30,000 Protestant denominations prove that. Better to keep your religious beliefs in the truth and facts columns. But some times the facts fall in the unknown column.
P3=We cannot know for sure what they were doing and why. We know they were going to the tomb, but unless we can find an example in the scriptures where peope were using spice for anointing we cannot know what they intended to do with the spice. Are they coming up with a new definition for anointing? Or were they just going to sprinkle the spice on the burial wrappings?

Also ..... When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome bought spices so that they might go to anoint Jesus’ body. Usually one person anoints. But more than one person can sprinkle spice around.

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My belief is in truth and it cannot be shaken.
Words are cheap.

Between 0 and 10, how much weight do you put on each of the above propositions? The stronger your belief in a proposition, the higher the weight. The betting odds will be based on your weighting scheme.

This is not a lotto/gambling bet. This is a wager to mathematically and scientifically measure the strength of your belief. Put money where your mouth is. If you are interested in mathematically finding out the strength of your belief, then tell me those two weights. See Subjective (Bayesian) Probability and betting.

You can say you are 100% sure the earth is flat. Words are cheap unless you are willing to wager on it.

This is the second time I have asked.