Did the Lord approve a spirit to lie to Ahab?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Micaiah spoke to Ahab and Jehoshaphat in 1 Kings 22:

19b “Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing beside him on his right hand and on his left;
The true prophet saw a heavenly event.

20 and the LORD said, ‘Who will entice Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead?’ And one said one thing, and another said another. 21 Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, saying, ‘I will entice him.’ 22 And the LORD said to him, ‘By what means?’ And he said, ‘I will go out, and will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And he said, ‘You are to entice him, and you shall succeed; go out and do so.’

I think "approve" may be too strong a word. The Lord permitted this spirit to lie to Ahab. He kind of approved this act in this case. It does not generalize to all acts of lying. The Lord also approved Michaiah telling him the truth, but he did not want to believe it. He wanted to believe in a lie. He died for this wrong belief (verse 35).

Similarly, God announced his wrath on the unrighteousness in Rom 1:

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie.
God does not leave anyone with only lies. God tells them the truth, but some, like Ahab, prefer to believe in lies.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Kings 22:23 The LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours, and the LORD has declared disaster against you.

gordon7

Mar 21, 2023
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Country
Ireland
How deceiving works..

Ezekiel 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

1 Timothy 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Revelation 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Micaiah spoke to Ahab and Jehoshaphat in 1 Kings 22:

The true prophet saw a heavenly event.

I think "approve" may be too strong a word. The Lord permitted this spirit to lie to Ahab. He kind of approved this act in this case. It does not generalize to all acts of lying. The Lord also approved Michaiah telling him the truth, but he did not want to believe it. He wanted to believe in a lie. He died for this wrong belief (verse 35).

Similarly, God announced his wrath on the unrighteousness in Rom 1:

God does not leave anyone with only lies. God tells them the truth, but some, like Ahab, prefer to believe in lies.
We all are tested in many ways. The bigger picture is that God has allowed evil for a purpose since the beginning. The Tree of Knowledge ofbGood and Evil. And of course He has allowed Satan, the Father of lies, to deceive and destroy many for the purpose of saving a few.