Discernment

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all,
We really don't see many threads on discernment here, yet, it sure seems to be a very important thing for a Christian to have. (if even the very elect...)

First Thessalonians 5:21-22 :"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil."
It is our responsibility as Christian's to be discerning. How carefully do we all "examine" everything?

"Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1).
Discernment should never be optional for the believer! How do we test the Spirits? One way of course, is through the scriptures.

Discernment should be used in every area of a Christians life, is it truth, or is it a lie? It is up to us, individually to distinguish between the two. And if one doesn't do this every time, they will be open to all kinds of false teaching. I can see this leading to compromise as well as stiff necked Christians who close their ears to hearing anything from anyone unless it fits their pet "doctrines".

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Discernment should be used in every area of a Christians life, is it truth, or is it a lie?
Excellent observation. This not only applies in the spiritual realm but also in the temporal.

Christians (and the whole world) is currently being bombarded with lies, half-truths, propaganda, and plain GARBAGE from (1) the Leftist Trump Deranged Media, (2) China, (3) Global Conspirators (WHO, CDC, NIH, IHME, the Bill Gates Foundation, George Soros, Al Gore, etc) (4) the evil Democrats, (4) the lawless bureaucrats of the Deep State, and (5) self-serving politicians. Their equivalents exist in every country.

At the same that there are (1) false apostles, (2) false prophets, (3) false teachers and (4) false brethren who are twisting the Scriptures and presenting false gospels and false doctrine.

All of this amounts to SPIRITUAL WARFARE on a grand scale. We also have saboteurs on all Christians forums (including this one) who erode the truth at every opportunity.

However, the Holy Bible has been given to Christians in order to develop sharp discernment. Indeed the book of Proverbs is there to make Christians wise -- wise as serpents and harmless as doves, according to the Lord Jesus Christ. Which means Christians -- in general -- should be wiser than any other group of people. In the Hebrew Tanakh, there is a specific division called "the Wisdom Books".

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello all,
We really don't see many threads on discernment here, yet, it sure seems to be a very important thing for a Christian to have. (if even the very elect...)

First Thessalonians 5:21-22 :"But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil."
It is our responsibility as Christian's to be discerning. How carefully do we all "examine" everything?

"Do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1).
Discernment should never be optional for the believer! How do we test the Spirits? One way of course, is through the scriptures.

Discernment should be used in every area of a Christians life, is it truth, or is it a lie? It is up to us, individually to distinguish between the two. And if one doesn't do this every time, they will be open to all kinds of false teaching. I can see this leading to compromise as well as stiff necked Christians who close their ears to hearing anything from anyone unless it fits their pet "doctrines".

I think there are a few different levels of discernment.

The first level being, Christian's should be able to discern the differences between what's obviously morally right and wrong.

Then there is discerning the difference between witchcraft and not witchcraft, which some do struggle with.

Then there is the stuff that even more struggle with, like discerning the difference between a prophecy from God and a prophecy not from God through Christians (as those that are coming from non-Christians should be obvious), discerning the different voices can also be challenging, as you see even the true prophets, they still get a little bit wrong from time to time, in today's world it's hard for one to be as accurate as the Old Testament prophets.

No one is perfect, and I think most of us have different levels of discernment.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Also would like to add.

Discernment could also come down to

Quite a number of Christians choose the wrong marriage partners or get into the wrong relationships these days, and end up in divorces, of course there are other reasons for divorces, one may go against God's plans for their life and divorce, but that's another reason.

As some of you may be aware, it just does not come down to you are both born again Christians go ahead and marry, but it also comes down to you gotta be on the same path, if one is called to go East and the other to go West, how is that going to work out? Also doctrine differences can be highly divisive.

So I guess discernment plays a big part before marriage too, who should someone marry and what not.

Reactions: Nancy

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all,

Good post, and timely. The coming of Christ is probably less than 10 years away, with the Great Tribulation and Antichrist only about 2 years away. Those who have no discernment now will have even less then as the strong delusion from God will be placed on those who will perish.

Reactions: Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The first level being, Christian's should be able to discern the differences between what's obviously morally right and wrong.

Then there is discerning the difference between witchcraft and not witchcraft, which some do struggle with.

Then there is the stuff that even more struggle with, like discerning the difference between a prophecy from God and a prophecy not from God through Christians (as those that are coming from non-Christians should be obvious), discerning the different voices can also be challenging, as you see even the true prophets, they still get a little bit wrong from time to time, in today's world it's hard for one to be as accurate as the Old Testament prophets.

We pray for discernment, we pray for protection, we pray for wisdom and we pray for courage.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello all,

I can't survive without the ability to discern. Satan, being the liar he is needs to be called out for what he is and what he does. We are told that he is an angel of light, so that means he is good at deceiving people.

Back in 1976, I was delivered from a spirit of rejection. When you have that, everything is filtered through it. When you have had that and no longer do, you can see it in other people, especially preachers.

We moved to Australia in 1980, a nation that is a rejected nation from the perspective that the original inhabitants were rejected by the colonizers and the colonizers were rejected by the land they came from, so there was plenty of rejection going around.

As we were looking for a church to attend, we would come out of the church after the meeting and look at each other and say "rejection." Yes, it was easy to discern that the reason that the person was in the pulpit was rejection.

One such occasion, a young man from a parachurch ministry had been invited to speak. He said that when he went to bible college his sole aim was to get a church and preach every Sunday and he was adamant about that. My wife and I looked at each other and mouthed rejection. He ended up as a youth evangelist with this organization for which we thanked God because it was obvious that he was an evangelist through and through. God had saved a church from fitting a square peg into a round hole.

This ability to discern rejection goes as far as reading what people write. In their words they can reveal their rejection and it can be seen if you have the discernment.

Just a footnote. Every homosexual has rejection.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My experience is that many "Christians" see/discern a devil under every rock and behind every door. They ask for discernment, but when God gives them the answer, they interpret it carnally.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also would like to add.

Quite a number of Christians choose the wrong marriage partners or get into the wrong relationships these days, and end up in divorces, of course there are other reasons for divorces, one may go against God's plans for their life and divorce, but that's another reason.

As some of you may be aware, it just does not come down to you are both born again Christians go ahead and marry, but it also comes down to you gotta be on the same path, if one is called to go East and the other to go West, how is that going to work out? Also doctrine differences can be highly divisive.

So I guess discernment plays a big part before marriage too, who should someone marry and what not.

Hi Josho!
Yes, of course. That's why I said we should have discernment in ALL areas of our lives.
So many implications when choosing wrongly and most especially when choosing wrongly in spiritual things, which can be impossible for those who never crack a bible and believe only and every thing their "pastors" are telling them. And that is generally because the false teacher on the podium is telling them all good fuzzy things...give to me and God will bless you greatly with all kinds of money and material things! We are already greatly blessed!
I am hoping for smaller gatherings where all can speak, ask questions, check the scriptures. It is a travesty what is going on in some "church's" :(

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post, and timely. The coming of Christ is probably less than 10 years away, with the Great Tribulation and Antichrist only about 2 years away. Those who have no discernment now will have even less then as the strong delusion from God will be placed on those who will perish.

For sure! It concerns me as I know so many Christians like this. They hardly know the basics much less the doctrines they themselves hold to! Oh yeah, will He find faith on this earth when He comes back? IMPO-very little. They cannot be faithful in the little things so...how will they ever face what is coming? :(

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My experience is that many "Christians" see/discern a devil under every rock and behind every door. They ask for discernment, but when God gives them the answer, they interpret it carnally.

True, and I've been there before! :oops:

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good point / comment.
- About 'levels of discernment'..
---
I was on interesting 'discussion thread' ( on another Christian Forum )..some time ago.
- The focus was on difference between 'general discernment' ( maybe the first level..as you mentioned )
& 'next level of discernment'.. as 'discerning of spirits' ( one of spiritual gifts ).
---
Issues you mentioned.. beyond the first level.
- My view is that we need 'discerning of spirits'.
--
I agree ( as OP / Nancy indicated ) that discernment is very important.
- Especially..nowadays.

Blessings,

Reactions: Josho and Nancy

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am sorry to hear that.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Which means Christians -- in general -- should be wiser than any other group of people
one would think, huh
why do you think they are counted among the dumbest then?
or the wisest in their own eyes maybe;
"Christ i like; Christians, not so much" Gandhi

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Also would like to add.

the response to can two walk together, except they be in agreement? would seem to be "no," huh. But i am learning that it can be "yes" too

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well, if you dig a pit for others to fall into, you end up in it yourself right
so im not a prophet, but maybe we could revisit this in a couple years and see. if you have not perished.

funny, i dont do time like most ppl, but a clock has just started ticking for you imo

Reactions: Waiting on him

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I can't survive without the ability to discern. Satan, being the liar he is needs to be called out for what he is and what he does. We are told that he is an angel of light, so that means he is good at deceiving people.

Back in 1976, I was delivered from a spirit of rejection. When you have that, everything is filtered through it. When you have had that and no longer do, you can see it in other people, especially preachers.

We moved to Australia in 1980, a nation that is a rejected nation from the perspective that the original inhabitants were rejected by the colonizers and the colonizers were rejected by the land they came from, so there was plenty of rejection going around.

As we were looking for a church to attend, we would come out of the church after the meeting and look at each other and say "rejection." Yes, it was easy to discern that the reason that the person was in the pulpit was rejection.

One such occasion, a young man from a parachurch ministry had been invited to speak. He said that when he went to bible college his sole aim was to get a church and preach every Sunday and he was adamant about that. My wife and I looked at each other and mouthed rejection. He ended up as a youth evangelist with this organization for which we thanked God because it was obvious that he was an evangelist through and through. God had saved a church from fitting a square peg into a round hole.

This ability to discern rejection goes as far as reading what people write. In their words they can reveal their rejection and it can be seen if you have the discernment.

Just a footnote. Every homosexual has rejection.
where did you move from, marksman? ty
I am sorry to hear that.
yet it was just for you imo, in some way im not really seeing
hope you dont take that wrong
somethingsomething moving to Australia is rejection too yeh thats all i got

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
For sure! It concerns me as I know so many Christians like this. They hardly know the basics much less the doctrines they themselves hold to! Oh yeah, will He find faith on this earth when He comes back? IMPO-very little. They cannot be faithful in the little things so...how will they ever face what is coming? :(
ah, what is coming, iyo?

fwiw imo there is a little tic there in will He find faith on this earth when He comes back? that i dunno if i can even clarify...something about it takes finding faith to even pluck out our right eye and see Him, today; so iow Christ doesnt even ever come without faith, maybe

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the response to can two walk together, except they be in agreement? would seem to be "no," huh. But i am learning that it can be "yes" too
Indeed, consider the direction of all of those participating in the construction of the Tower of Babel. They agreed and worked together to raise it up to heaven. [Gen 11:1ff]

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indeed, consider the direction of all of those participating in the construction of the Tower of Babel. They agreed and worked together to raise it up to heaven. [Gen 11:1ff]
well, i guess they were in agreement though? All of them "spoke the same language" so to speak anyway?

Reactions: amadeus