Discipleship ...vs......Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
My wife grew up in a Methodist church and at 13 years old was saved and filled with the Holy Spirit when a traveling ministry team came to her church. Shortly after that her mother and father left the church and began praying at home for the Lord to send a man to teach them the Word of God. They were joined by others in a prayer meeting in their home. The Lord answered their prayers and brought a man who was married and had 5 kids to teach them the Word of God. They began having meetings in their home and other's homes and this continued for 20 years. When I met my wife I got to know this man of God. He ministry was full-time to the community and this group of believers. He had a wonderful Pastor's heart and never took advantage of the sheep. He never took a salary and would never talk about money. He trusted the Lord to supply all of His needs. He never owned a house and I found out later that they did many things to make their food go further such as diluting their milk with water. His fellowship got as big as 100 people, yet many left because he would not institute "programs" like the neighboring churches had. Different people wanted him to start a building fund but he was against that (always in the nicest most kindest way). Meeting in city hall or people's homes seemed to work out just well. He was persecuted from within and from without but Pastor Gurnhardt always stuck to his principles (that He gleaned from the Lord). He raised 5 children who are very whole individuals with much joy and peace. Interestingly, he had a wonderful rapport with the local police. He often was at the local jail ministering to inmates/prisoners and whenever the police were having problems with a young man, they always called Brother Gurnhardt. That is a tremendous testimony because the police thought that the young man had a better chance with an encounter with Brother Gurnhardt than what the alternative could be. He did not have a any building, any staff, or a salary, but he had the heart of Jesus and was available 24x7 for anyone. He never spoke against any other churches or the way that other Pastors did things, he just quietly fulfilled God's will for his life without getting sidetracked. Brother Gurnhardt was eventually run out of town by people in his own fellowship (group of ladies) that wanted a building built and they wanted respectability in their community and thought that a paid pastor and a building would give them that. They got what they wanted and their church has been through many splits and pastors, since then. They have never been satisfied. Their families have also been through an inordinate amount of tragedies which has been very sad since we know them well. This is the small community that my wife grew up in and we visit 5-6 times a year. Brother Gurnhardt is now about 85 and living back in Indiana taking care of Ruth, his wife who has severe Alzheimer's and cause Brother Gurnhardt much suffering, which he does not talk about. Often, Brother Gurnhardt is at the local Senior Citizen home ministering to the elderly which is not surprising because he loves people so much and wants them to know Jesus. His background is Mennonite, but a tremendous change came into his life when he was in his 30s when the Lord baptized him in His Spirit. Since then, his life has been a sold out life for His Savior and others. I know a few other men that live completely by faith and trust all their needs to Jesus and each and every one has no lack of supply of joy or power. If Brother Gurnhardt comes across your mind, lift he and Ruth up to the throne of grace. He is a true servant of the Lord.

My wife credits her walk with Jesus today because of Brother Gurnhardt and Ruthie's love for the Lord, for others and their dependence on Christ. His preaching and teaching was wonderful. He was not indebted to any man and could preach freely and fearlessly because of that.

Axehead

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
We are all called to the full standard of Christ. What changes how much of it we attain is the level of our consecration and how far we are willing to go... How much heart we put into it. :)

As long as man is faithful, and continues to the end... God will not reject him. God is merciful! But whether we make it or not, if we are to call ourselves God's people we should strive forward together towards that same standard.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
My wife grew up in a Methodist church and at 13 years old was saved and filled with the Holy Spirit when a traveling ministry team came to her church. Shortly after that her mother and father left the church and began praying at home for the Lord to send a man to teach them the Word of God. They were joined by others in a prayer meeting in their home. The Lord answered their prayers and brought a man who was married and had 5 kids to teach them the Word of God. They began having meetings in their home and other's homes and this continued for 20 years. When I met my wife I got to know this man of God. He ministry was full-time to the community and this group of believers. He had a wonderful Pastor's heart and never took advantage of the sheep. He never took a salary and would never talk about money. He trusted the Lord to supply all of His needs. He never owned a house and I found out later that they did many things to make their food go further such as diluting their milk with water. His fellowship got as big as 100 people, yet many left because he would not institute "programs" like the neighboring churches had. Different people wanted him to start a building fund but he was against that (always in the nicest most kindest way). Meeting in city hall or people's homes seemed to work out just well. He was persecuted from within and from without but Pastor Gurnhardt always stuck to his principles (that He gleaned from the Lord). He raised 5 children who are very whole individuals with much joy and peace. Interestingly, he had a wonderful rapport with the local police. He often was at the local jail ministering to inmates/prisoners and whenever the police were having problems with a young man, they always called Brother Gurnhardt. That is a tremendous testimony because the police thought that the young man had a better chance with an encounter with Brother Gurnhardt than what the alternative could be. He did not have a any building, any staff, or a salary, but he had the heart of Jesus and was available 24x7 for anyone. He never spoke against any other churches or the way that other Pastors did things, he just quietly fulfilled God's will for his life without getting sidetracked. Brother Gurnhardt was eventually run out of town by people in his own fellowship (group of ladies) that wanted a building built and they wanted respectability in their community and thought that a paid pastor and a building would give them that. They got what they wanted and their church has been through many splits and pastors, since then. They have never been satisfied. Their families have also been through an inordinate amount of tragedies which has been very sad since we know them well. This is the small community that my wife grew up in and we visit 5-6 times a year. Brother Gurnhardt is now about 85 and living back in Indiana taking care of Ruth, his wife who has severe Alzheimer's and cause Brother Gurnhardt much suffering, which he does not talk about. Often, Brother Gurnhardt is at the local Senior Citizen home ministering to the elderly which is not surprising because he loves people so much and wants them to know Jesus. His background is Mennonite, but a tremendous change came into his life when he was in his 30s when the Lord baptized him in His Spirit. Since then, his life has been a sold out life for His Savior and others. I know a few other men that live completely by faith and trust all their needs to Jesus and each and every one has no lack of supply of joy or power. If Brother Gurnhardt comes across your mind, lift he and Ruth up to the throne of grace. He is a true servant of the Lord.

My wife credits her walk with Jesus today because of Brother Gurnhardt and Ruthie's love for the Lord, for others and their dependence on Christ. His preaching and teaching was wonderful. He was not indebted to any man and could preach freely and fearlessly because of that.

Axehead

Thanks for that testimony report Axehead.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Axehead

Great testimony Axe!!! :) Will pray for them.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
dragonfly ..... thanks for the update on the word "hate" as used in the bible .... it corrects my mistake of applying "the modern day version of the word "

Also ... the story of your friend with "40 years of faith" is touching. I could never fill his shoes. wow.

axehead .... love the genuine commitment and values of Pastor Gurnhardt .... if we could all be like that , Christianity would probably be much more influential and attractive..