do the ends justify the means?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it ok to cheat and lie and steal if the result is beneficial?

Lying people into the kingdom?

Beating people to death with truth? Is that love?

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
beating people with the truth does not work at all. I am reminded of the Apostle Paul going into a town of Idolatry. He found an idol that said the unknown God and used that as an opening. If he had gone in saying Idolatry is wrong no one would have listened to him. He said let me proclaim this unknown God to you and they listened and wanted to hear more.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
beating people with the truth does not work at all. I am reminded of the Apostle Paul going into a town of Idolatry. He found an idol that said the unknown God and used that as an opening. If he had gone in saying Idolatry is wrong no one would have listened to him. He said let me proclaim this unknown God to you and they listened and wanted to hear more.

agreed. Paul really knew how to meet people where they were at. A Pharisee would have accused Paul of being ecumenical or pandering to the Greeks.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA

The results only seem beneficial... God does not bless sin with beneficial results.

Vaccinius

May 17, 2012
Norway
Christianity in this life is a means...and only a means.

And means are not significant.
Vaccinius_26.png

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMO the end never justify the means.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In cases, the end can justify the means, however there are times when the cost is to high or damaging to justify the means, or the end is not great enough to justify the means.

And who decides this?

Vaccinius

May 17, 2012
Norway
KNOW

Know: For the end to justify
the means the end must be The Son.
If so we all will testify
the way to reach the end was fun.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The end justifies the means could be true.
This is normally used to comment on the ethics or morality of a given action. By itself, it might be reprehensible. But as the only method to achieve a goal, it could be acceptable on a practical basis. A simple example would be knocking down historic buildings as a last resort to control rat populations. A more complex example would be World War II, which included bombing German and Japanese cities to reduce their munitions production.

It means that the benefits from something outweigh the harm done by the process. For example if somebody cured cancer, but had to kill 1 cancer patient to find the cure, they might say that curing cancer made the loss of 1 life to save many worth it. Of course, the family of the dead patient (and the legal authorities) might see the matter differently. we could also look at it from this point of view as well.

what if God destroyed or jailed satan before satan caused Adam and eve to sin?
what if God stepped in to save mankind before they sinned in the garden?
did God sending Jesus to redeem us from our sins not make a good enough reason for the ends justify the means?

nothing is ever impossible. the word teaches what is impossible for man is possible for God. according to the word the saying i don't know is not scriptural because the word teaches i know all things through Christ. just because something has not come to mind does not mean you do not know. it just means it has not been revealed yet.

God bless

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The end justifies the means could be true.
This is normally used to comment on the ethics or morality of a given action. By itself, it might be reprehensible. But as the only method to achieve a goal, it could be acceptable on a practical basis. A simple example would be knocking down historic buildings as a last resort to control rat populations. A more complex example would be World War II, which included bombing German and Japanese cities to reduce their munitions production.

It means that the benefits from something outweigh the harm done by the process. For example if somebody cured cancer, but had to kill 1 cancer patient to find the cure, they might say that curing cancer made the loss of 1 life to save many worth it. Of course, the family of the dead patient (and the legal authorities) might see the matter differently. we could also look at it from this point of view as well.

what if God destroyed or jailed satan before satan caused Adam and eve to sin?
what if God stepped in to save mankind before they sinned in the garden?
did God sending Jesus to redeem us from our sins not make a good enough reason for the ends justify the means?

nothing is ever impossible. the word teaches what is impossible for man is possible for God. according to the word the saying i don't know is not scriptural because the word teaches i know all things through Christ. just because something has not come to mind does not mean you do not know. it just means it has not been revealed yet.

God bless

What a clear and helpful post - thank you.

I agree that nothing is impossible with God and we have a limited view on reality.......and actually that is one of the reasons sacrificing the means to reach an end is so dangerous for us. Often we think that we know what is best and commit bad act to achieve our goals.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012

This is a ridiculous question,how would one lie another into the Kingdom....God is truth and no one could be genuinely led to God by a lie does one pour water over something to make it dry or set fire to something to cool it down,however people are led to the god of this world all the time through lies so considering who is asking the question it may have some merit...beating people to death with the truth ? another idiotic concept,the truth only needs to be told once after that is is up to the individual,the only ones who beat anybody with the truth are those who foolishly and sinfully believe that they are the ones doing the saving and not God....their ego forces them to repeat the same thing over and over again if someone is not responding the way they want when once is enough.

Reactions: grandma dolittle

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a ridiculous question,how would one lie another into the Kingdom....God is truth and no one could be genuinely led to God by a lie does one pour water over something to make it dry or set fire to something to cool it down,however people are led to the god of this world all the time through lies so considering who is asking the question it may have some merit...beating people to death with the truth ? another idiotic concept,the truth only needs to be told once after that is is up to the individual,the only ones who beat anybody with the truth are those who foolishly and sinfully believe that they are the ones doing the saving and not God....their ego forces them to repeat the same thing over and over again if someone is not responding the way they want when once is enough.

Ok - all my posts are ridiculous or idiotic

I think I am saving people, rather than God

My ego forces me to repeat the same stuff over and over

blah, blah, blah, blah-blah.

Run along now and let the adults talk.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I lol at the replies to some of your posts. Clearly many of them are not read in context. I'm certain if you we're speaking with us face to face the point of conversational meaning would be easily understood. It's a shame how much is lost when trying to communicate with text.

acebopata

May 19, 2012
On God's blue marble, Earth.
And who decides this?

Ultimatly, Only the Lord knows for sure, so in a way, he desides. There are times when the Lord would have us do something to met the end result, but the means sound rediculious to us, because we can't see what the Lord sees down the line. At other times, we may use a means that we think is a great and acceptable way to meet an end result, but the Lord knows that our means would ultimatly end in disaster.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I lol at the replies to some of your posts. Clearly many of them are not read in context. I'm certain if you we're speaking with us face to face the point of conversational meaning would be easily understood. It's a shame how much is lost when trying to communicate with text.

It is difficult to be clearly understood on these boards - this is certain. But there is a difference between readers who want to understand and those who want to muddy the waters as much as possible.

I also think I am not being as clear as I have been in the past.....I think I am getting a bit bored.