Do they still do this today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
I am not sure how to word this but here goes.....when I was growing up I used to hear the words tarry, backsliding and backbiting used alot. Every once a while I still hear the words but not as much....I hope I didn't confuse anyone on what I am referring too. ..just been on my mind .So I posted to share and learn.:study: :grouphug:s

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
Well... considering that fewer and fewer people are using the KJV, and as a result are talking that way less and less, I'd guess that you're not apt to hear those words too often anymore.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
Nor these,PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
(waquinas;60921)
Nor these,PATER NOSTER, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen
Say what?

Risen4meamp;amp;U

Oct 18, 2008
Backsliding is like carnality, in that your own desires and devices are acted out as opposed to God's will (I Corinthians 3:3; Proverbs 14:14). God does not condemn us -- our own wickedness and backsliding do that (Jeremiah 2:19). Nor did Jesus come to do so, but to give us life abundantly (John 10:10). Therefore, if you will confess your sins, God will forgive you (I John 1:9). Accept His forgiveness and then forgive yourself. Forgive those who have wronged you. Go to anyone you have wronged or resented and ask their forgiveness. Make restitution in whatever ways you can for any wrongs your backsliding has caused. If you are not baptized with the Holy Spirit, ask for and receive it (Luke 11:13). Then grow in Jesus and the way of the Lord. The Holy Spirit gives a Christian the ability to overcome sin. He gives power to be a Christ-like person. He guides, comforts, teaches spiritual truth, and equips with the gifts and qualities of God (Acts 1:8; John 14:16; I Corinthians 12; Galatians 5:22,23). Backsliding in my part of the US is still used. It just means that you have turned your back on the word of God, and are following your sinful nature instead of Gods word (his way). We can come back to the lord by repenting and asking God to come into our hearts and live the way he desires for us. His way always is the best way.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(ffbruce;60841)
Well... considering that fewer and fewer people are using the KJV, and as a result are talking that way less and less, I'd guess that you're not apt to hear those words too often anymore.
That's a shame cause KJV is the most accurate translation ever in English.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Not only is the KJV language fading from our vocabularies, but Bible-teaching itself is fading from our churches.

pastorlesofm

Community Guide
Jun 28, 2008
Central New York State
Interesting to say the least. The word sin is even avoided many times these days. The word "Mistake" takes sin's place. This opens the door to excuses for various sins. Even so called science today gives it in many instances a medical label or term. By doing this the words confess and repent become strangers in today's society. This causes me to be greatly concerned about the youth today. The Lord did say that in the "Last Days" is would be this way , good will be evil and evil would be good. As in the days of Noah. So be it. When the word sin comes up the horns of Satan come through. The scripture favored so much "Thou shall not judge". I tell those who use that scripture ;"for sure,but Jesus did say, "ye shall know them by their fruits". So fruit inspectors we must be. Specially in these times, and this battle between good and evil.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Follower;61036)
Not only is the KJV language fading from our vocabularies, but Bible-teaching itself is fading from our churches.
That's true too, hence the reason modern bible exist to water down the Truth in God's Words... And I don't need to listen to a politically correct-bible to tell me what to believe. Don't you think?

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;60987)
Say what?
It is the Our Father prayer, in Latin which came before there was a KJV. So few speak it that way today that not many recognize it. We prefer English, or our native tongue. Who speaks KJ English today????

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Jordan;61004)
It's a shame that you'd say that on a thread about a different topic - not to mention the fact that you are wrong.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(ffbruce;61065)
(Jordan;61004)
It's a shame that you'd say that on a thread about a different topic - not to mention the fact that you are wrong.You haven't shown water yet...

ffbruce

Oct 9, 2008
(Jordan;61067)
You haven't shown water yet...
No, I haven't.But I have explained why you are factually wrong about the KJV being the most accurate English translation ever. Stick with KJV if you like.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(ffbruce;61069)
(Jordan;61069)
You haven't shown water yet...
No, I haven't.But I have explained why you are factually wrong about the KJV being the most accurate English translation ever.Stick with KJV if you like.That I will. I'm past vague speculations anyway.

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
(waquinas;61061)
It is the Our Father prayer, in Latin which came before there was a KJV. So few speak it that way today that not many recognize it. We prefer English, or our native tongue. Who speaks KJ English today????
I thought it was Latin..thanks for explaining what you meant. ~~~~~(Risen4me&U;61003)
Backsliding is like carnality, in that your own desires and devices are acted out as opposed to God's will (I Corinthians 3:3; Proverbs 14:14). God does not condemn us -- our own wickedness and backsliding do that (Jeremiah 2:19). Nor did Jesus come to do so, but to give us life abundantly (John 10:10). Therefore, if you will confess your sins, God will forgive you (I John 1:9). Accept His forgiveness and then forgive yourself. Forgive those who have wronged you. Go to anyone you have wronged or resented and ask their forgiveness. Make restitution in whatever ways you can for any wrongs your backsliding has caused. If you are not baptized with the Holy Spirit, ask for and receive it (Luke 11:13). Then grow in Jesus and the way of the Lord. The Holy Spirit gives a Christian the ability to overcome sin. He gives power to be a Christ-like person. He guides, comforts, teaches spiritual truth, and equips with the gifts and qualities of God (Acts 1:8; John 14:16; I Corinthians 12; Galatians 5:22,23). Backsliding in my part of the US is still used. It just means that you have turned your back on the word of God, and are following your sinful nature instead of Gods word (his way). We can come back to the lord by repenting and asking God to come into our hearts and live the way he desires for us. His way always is the best way.
~~~~~~((((Risen4me&U)))))I like your user name too.Thank you ....I keep reading your reply.
smile.gif
(((((Jordan)))))I love my KJV too....I have other books that I use as reference when I do my Bible study.... I compare them to my KJV ( it is my roadmap on this Christian Journey and Christ is my light.) know what I mean?:grouphug:s

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;61177)
...(((((Jordan)))))I love my KJV too....I have other books that I use as reference when I do my Bible study.... I compare them to my KJV ( it is my roadmap on this Christian Journey and Christ is my light.) know what I mean?It is the Our Father prayer, in Latin which came before there was a KJV. So few speak it that way today that not many recognize it. We prefer English, or our native tongue. Who speaks KJ English today???? :grouphug:s
Yes I understand what you meant.
smile.gif
By The Way, KJV was originally British English. Now when the KJV came to America, it is American spelling, with of course, still attains the British accent in there... In fact more than just that if you know what I mean.Modern English to me seems blah. I am a poet... so I like British English better than American English despite the fact I am in the US.
smile.gif

Lookin4wardtoHeaven

Jul 17, 2007
Jordan, sorry for the confusion, I forgot to edit out quote from (((waquinas ))at the endof my post. I decided to do it at the begining. So this was my reply to you
(((((Jordan)))))I love my KJV too....I have other books that I use as reference when I do my Bible study.... I compare them to my KJV ( it is my roadmap on this Christian Journey and Christ is my light.) know what I mean?
Just clearing up the confusion.
smile.gif

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;61291)
Jordan, sorry for the confusion, I forgot to edit out quote from (((waquinas ))at the endof my post. I decided to do it at the begining. So this was my reply to you (Lookin'4wardtoHeaven;61177)
(((((Jordan)))))I love my KJV too....I have other books that I use as reference when I do my Bible study.... I compare them to my KJV ( it is my roadmap on this Christian Journey and Christ is my light.) know what I mean?
Just clearing up the confusion.
smile.gif
Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Much appreciated it.
smile.gif