Do We Receive Salvation At Once, When We Said The Sinners Prayer?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

• 2) No, But Very Soon Thereafter We Do.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Forgiveness, Salvation of ones soul, Quickening of ones spirit, is given an individual, From God;
WHEN the individual has accomplished …
1) Being (heartfully sorrowful, heartfully repentant for having HAD disbelief.
2) Pledged his heartful belief.
3) Pledged his body unto death as required for his sin payment for having HAD disbelief.

Once accomplished…Done Deal. That individual will Never be Separated from God, nor God separated from that individual.

The precise premise and meaning of the modern acronym… OSAS.

Glory to God,
Taken

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Forgiveness, Salvation of ones soul, Quickening of ones spirit, is given an individual, From God;
WHEN the individual has accomplished …
1) Being (heartfully sorrowful, heartfully repentant for having HAD disbelief.
2) Pledged his heartful belief.
3) Pledged his body unto death as required for his sin payment for having HAD disbelief.

Once accomplished…Done Deal. That individual will Never be Separated from God, nor God separated from that individual.

The precise premise and meaning of the modern acronym… OSAS.

Glory to God,
Taken
How and when, scripturally, are sins removed? Until sins are removed, there can be no salvation!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(From https://www.theopedia.com/ordo-salutis)

This is how the theologians (and in particular Reformed theologians) see the stages leading to salvation. At what point in the process are we considered "saved"? And relevant to the OSAS debates, can the process be interrupted and/or reversed?
Where do we start?

John 1 - Receive him in faith

12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the [e]right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

John 3 - Be born again, by looking to the cross in faith

14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

36 He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 4 - Ask and he will give living water flowing to eternal life

10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.” 11 The woman said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. Where then do You get that living water? 12 Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, as well as his sons and his livestock?” 13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

John 5: Hear and believe

24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

John 6 - Seek the food which endures forever. eat the bread from heaven. See and believe

I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.
40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.” 47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes [j]in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world.”

Reactions: mailmandan

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All one needs to do is simply look at the various examples of conversions in Acts and related scriptures to see how a soul is saved. It's pretty straight forward and simple as opposed to all the man made up nonsense. As I pointed out previously and elsewhere
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief
3. Repentance
4. Immersion in water (baptism) into Christ
Seems like nearly every church has their own set of rules to obtain salvation. It's their way or the highway.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did you receive your salvation? When you first came to the Lord or at some point later?

They way people talk, even teachers and Pastors, it is at the moment that you prayed and asked forgiveness and made the Lord, Lord of your life.

Here's my theory which is not dogmatic, just a theory. So I encourage you to vote in the poll and then explain your theory (or knowing).

Ok here we go. So a man is in church through invite and he is as yet unsaved and does not know the Lord. But the Holy Spirit is on the Job and is with the Pastor and gives him the words that touch the man's heart and ring true to him. Then the Holy Spirit touches the man also on the shoulder perhaps and says go down front...so the man makes the Altar Call, kneels, prays is refreshed and feels peace in his spirit. He goes home happy. (But has he received Salvation yet? Did the Lord write his name in the book of life yet?

But when the man gets home from church his live in girlfriend is there and so the man says wow babe, Got saved at church today! The GF says, that's cool, I got some cocaine while you were gone, wanna have some fun? So he does because that's what they did yesterday and he knows that he cant go all hardcore Jesus freak on her about it because that would create strife, and she already wants him to put that church stuff behind him and get back to the pleasures of life. The marriage thing is already in her mind and she knows that because they're not married that she would lose her happy home if the man gets serious about the Lord! Women are quick like that. So the man has a lot to think about and doesnt want to start an argument, so...I'll be with her now and study the bible some later. So he does.

But is he really saved already? I dont think so. Scripture says to seek the Lord and to study and show thyself approved and to pray unceasingly. Scripture also says that Obediance is rewarded both here on earth and in the world to come. It says, And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2)

So doesnt the man have to do these things to receive salvation? We get transformed by the renewing of our mind. How do we do that? Has he been seeking the Lord yet? Going to church from an invite is a social thing, he wasnt seeking the Lord. The man accepted the truth he heard and Holy Spirit's invite, but he wasnt seeking the Lord. Even so, the man was moved to receive Jesus as Lord of his life. He went through the motions but has done nothing to seek the Lord, and then went back home and fell right back into the world. Scripture talks about robbers sneaking in not through the gate but by some other way. If this man continues to call himself a christian after that because of what happened...is he really? If the man continues to live for his flesh in the world is he one of the robbers that scripture speaks of? Of the ones that will say, but Lord didnt we prophecy in thy name and Jesus will say, I never knew you. Did you read my book to you? Did you ever visit me? Have we met before? Cont...,
It is not a prayer that saves a person, but placing our trust in Jesus as Lord and trusting in HIs death and resurrection as payment for our sin that saves us. So if when one prayed the sinners prayer they placed their trust, then yes.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How and when, scripturally, are sins removed? Until sins are removed, there can be no salvation!

Sins are “removed” when a body is “risen up”…..IN Glory.

How, is by the “power of God”.

Until sins are removed, there can be no salvation!

Not true.

A relationship with God is contingent on…
“IF”….”THEN….and TRUST God is Faithful.

God Offers man options to “choose” Gods “offerings”.

Any man can half-baked hear of, mull over, Gods “offerings”… kinda, sorta, “try out” Gods “offerings”….read, think, ponder, rationalize, follow along, even preach whoo hoo all the lines of Scripture….and do a one eighty in the moment of a personal hardship…and attack and blame God for not keeping them from suffering a hardship.

Fact is, God “offers” mankind an “order, means and way”… to be MADE “assured” to have an “everlasting” SPIRITUAL Life with God and God with that individual…
By, Through, Of that mans Free Willingness to “HEARTFULLY” Accept His Offer, according to Gods Order, Means and Way…
* In that Gods Power SHALL Keep that individual UNTO God alone….
* And the Manifestation (the ability for a man TO LITERALLY SEE his transformation from corrupted mortal to incorruptible immortal), Be TRUSTED by the man, God is Faithful, and His Promise shall come to pass.

It is a Corrupt “Living” mortal man, who decides, who chooses, who Accepts Gods Offering.

It requires a few
“IF” things of an individual Corrupt Living man….to “THEN” Receive Gods Offering…

“IF” a man is heartfully sorry for having HAD disbelief.
‘IF” a man heartfully believes.
“IF” a man willingly gives unto God, his own body unto Death.

“THEN” shall God forgive that man.
“THEN” shall God restore (ie save) that mans soul.
“THEN” shall Gods Spirit ENTER that man.
“THEN” shall God (do Gods works within that man)…circumcise the heart, new heart, Plant the SEED of God, give man Gods Truth, etc.

It is “THEN” that man BECAUSE of…and BY Gods SPIRIT…which IS PURE LIGHT…is that mans “FORGIVEN SIN within him”…..
COVERED

Sin within a man IS “DARKNESS”.
Gods Light within a man “OVERCOMES DARKNESS”….

Never again does God See or Remember the mans Forgiven SIN (ie. Darkness)…
Just as you can not SEE darkness in a ROOM that is filled with LIGHT.

Any man WHOM God HAS forgiven him his sin of Unbelief…AND that mans word of testimony OF heartful belief…and willingly laid down his own bodily life unto Death, expressly unto the Lord God……

IS forgiven…IS Sanctified…IS in Gods Books of Evidence…SAVED unto God Once and Forever. Done deal…And KEPT a “done deal” by, through, of the Power of God.

Glory to God,
Taken

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thief on the cross confessed that he believed in Jesus. That's all he could do. He wasn't even baptized. He's in paradise with Jesus!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reciting a sinner's prayer will not accomplish anything on its own. I must have prayed the sinner's prayer 20 different times with Pat Robertson several years ago while watching the 700 Club when I was a teenager, yet nothing happened. Why? Because I did not repent and believe the gospel. Such a prayer needs to include what a person knows, understands, and believes about their sinfulness and need for salvation, followed by repentance/faith. People need to hear and believe the gospel. (Acts 15:7-9; Romans 1:16) Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)

For someone who comes to the realization that they are lost and in need of Jesus Christ to save them, (Romans 3:23; 6:23) they may obtain salvation only by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone. (Romans 5:1; Ephesians 2:8,9) One needs to understand that Jesus Christ, God in human form, took their sins and paid the penalty for their sins by His sacrifice on the cross of Calvary, was buried, and rose again the third day, and they need to make a genuine and willful decision to totally trust in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of their salvation. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6)

Now if subsequent to such a decision, a person would like to pray what some call a "sinner’s prayer," (calling on the name of the Lord to save them) they may do so, as long as they understand that it was their decision to place their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation that apprehends their salvation and not simply reciting a prayer "in of itself." Reciting a prayer, in of itself does not save, as if it's a magical formula to recite a set of words, but prayer may be used to sincerely call upon the name of the Lord. Romans 10:13 - For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Reactions: Jack

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All one needs to do is simply look at the various examples of conversions in Acts and related scriptures to see how a soul is saved. It's pretty straight forward and simple as opposed to all the man made up nonsense. As I pointed out previously and elsewhere
1. Belief and faith
2. Confession of belief
3. Repentance
4. Immersion in water (baptism) into Christ
So, according to your 4-step plan of salvation a person believes the gospel/places their faith in Jesus Christ for salvation and makes a confession of faith before they even repent? :oops: Acts 20:21 - testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. *Notice the order. Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. *Not two separate steps to salvation but chronologically together. *Water baptism follows saving belief/faith. (Acts 10:43-47)

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sins are “removed” when a body is “risen up”…..IN Glory.

How, is by the “power of God”.

Not true.

A relationship with God is contingent on…
“IF”….”THEN….and TRUST God is Faithful.

God Offers man options to “choose” Gods “offerings”.

Any man can half-baked hear of, mull over, Gods “offerings”… kinda, sorta, “try out” Gods “offerings”….read, think, ponder, rationalize, follow along, even preach whoo hoo all the lines of Scripture….and do a one eighty in the moment of a personal hardship…and attack and blame God for not keeping them from suffering a hardship.

Fact is, God “offers” mankind an “order, means and way”… to be MADE “assured” to have an “everlasting” SPIRITUAL Life with God and God with that individual…
By, Through, Of that mans Free Willingness to “HEARTFULLY” Accept His Offer, according to Gods Order, Means and Way…
* In that Gods Power SHALL Keep that individual UNTO God alone….
* And the Manifestation (the ability for a man TO LITERALLY SEE his transformation from corrupted mortal to incorruptible immortal), Be TRUSTED by the man, God is Faithful, and His Promise shall come to pass.

It is a Corrupt “Living” mortal man, who decides, who chooses, who Accepts Gods Offering.

It requires a few
“IF” things of an individual Corrupt Living man….to “THEN” Receive Gods Offering…

“IF” a man is heartfully sorry for having HAD disbelief.
‘IF” a man heartfully believes.
“IF” a man willingly gives unto God, his own body unto Death.

“THEN” shall God forgive that man.
“THEN” shall God restore (ie save) that mans soul.
“THEN” shall Gods Spirit ENTER that man.
“THEN” shall God (do Gods works within that man)…circumcise the heart, new heart, Plant the SEED of God, give man Gods Truth, etc.

It is “THEN” that man BECAUSE of…and BY Gods SPIRIT…which IS PURE LIGHT…is that mans “FORGIVEN SIN within him”…..
COVERED

Sin within a man IS “DARKNESS”.
Gods Light within a man “OVERCOMES DARKNESS”….

Never again does God See or Remember the mans Forgiven SIN (ie. Darkness)…
Just as you can not SEE darkness in a ROOM that is filled with LIGHT.

Any man WHOM God HAS forgiven him his sin of Unbelief…AND that mans word of testimony OF heartful belief…and willingly laid down his own bodily life unto Death, expressly unto the Lord God……

IS forgiven…IS Sanctified…IS in Gods Books of Evidence…SAVED unto God Once and Forever. Done deal…And KEPT a “done deal” by, through, of the Power of God.

Glory to God,
Taken
Yes, spiritually risen up as the scriptures teach. Just read Romans 6.

Acts 22:16

16And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Acts 2:38

38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This may be more than you are looking for, but here it is:

Attachments

• Mind of the Spirit - Mind of the Flesh.pdf
    233.6 KB · Views: 1

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The simple answer:

We are baptized into Christ, into His death and burial. We die with Him. When He rose, we rise with Him, a new creation, having left sin with the old person we were.

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry, But your post 31 in no way answers my comment.

But go your own way..

The simple answer:

We are baptized into Christ, into His death and burial. We die with Him. When He rose, we rise with Him, a new creation, having left sin with the old person we were.

Much love!
It was a rhetorical question. I knew the answer and agree. Yes, we are baptized into Christ at which point our sins are remitted, we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and are added to the body of Christ. Acts 2:38-47

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a rhetorical question. I knew the answer and agree. Yes, we are baptized into Christ at which point our sins are remitted,
Yes, This is done as an act of God the moment we trust him. No water is involved.. I was baptized INTO CHRIST, Not into water.
we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and are added to the body of Christ. Acts 2:38-47
Yes, because we repented. and received the gift of the spirit. On the basis of this gift, and our remission of sin, we are baptized in water..

Reactions: mailmandan

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, This is done as an act of God the moment we trust him. No water is involved.. I was baptized INTO CHRIST, Not into water.

Yes, because we repented. and received the gift of the spirit. On the basis of this gift, and our remission of sin, we are baptized in water..
So, by your illogical logic, Jesus words in Mk 16:16 was not correct and should have been

16He that believeth and is REPENTANT shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Instead of

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So, also by your illogical logic, do you become a member of the body of Christ, the church, upon repentance? Can you repent into Christ?