Do you believe Spirit baptism replaces water baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said.
1 Cor13.
Johann.
I understand that even as believers, including those who are mature, we may sometimes lack knowledge about how to act. Though we have a strong desire to please the Lord, we may not know how to fully enact our intentions. At times, we may even risk making mistakes rather than doing nothing at all. However, I believe that God understands our limitations and is still pleased with our motives and actions.

Reactions: ChristisGod

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No doubt.

But now that you read it more carefully, and you see my point, then you understand what i've said.

I know you see it, but if you need to keep trying to, sort of not agree, .. .thats fine, as ive posted what is necessary to understand.

Also, i have not accused you of teaching "born again BY water".
Are you sure that it was I who misunderstood?

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would never "connect" water to completion in Christ.

Move along now, ok?

Thx.
No, what happens is that some people join several conversations simultaneously and get them all confused, and eventually, the conversations become incomprehensible.

What does it matter? You were reacting to MY post, ASSUMING that I connected completion in Christ to regeneration. You failed to have a conversation with me, the one speaking. You assumed my beliefs and reacted to your assumptions. Right?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I understand that even as believers, including those who are mature, we may sometimes lack knowledge about how to act. Though we have a strong desire to please the Lord, we may not know how to fully enact our intentions. At times, we may even risk making mistakes rather than doing nothing at all. However, I believe that God understands our limitations and is still pleased with our motives and actions.
I fully concur-for years, as a young man- I was indoctrinated and thought I was right-then a couple years ago I was hit with another Calvinistic doctrine-and thought that was right-now, a year or so, the Holy Spirit led me to Dr. Bob Utley and listen daily to the teachings of Scriptures and THIS time I know I'm on the right path-but @Behold has some sort of a fixation of me using his material and I have full permission to do so-for the edification of others.
To be honest-I wouldn't advise young women and men-babes in Christ-to join a Forum here-but rather grow in a local Church.
Way too much slandering and decimating the characters of others-in the name of Jesus Christ.

Psa_133:1 A Song of degrees of David. Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Eph_4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Eph_4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:

J.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I dont read your posts, once i recognize that they are not your own work, and that is 99% of them.

However, if and when you can ask a valid question, you should.
You don't need edification-I do-and so are others.
Theoretical-head knowledge is no good-it is the putting the Word of the Lord into daily practice and see how good our Lord really is-speaking from experience.

Reactions: CadyandZoe

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You don't need edification-I do-and so are others.

What you mean to say, is that i dont need attention.
Thats true.
Im not here for the "Likes", but i appreciate them, and i give a lot of those myself.

And i dont find it edifying to have to read a lot of posts that are teaching water and works, = Salvation.

I actually feel offended im my spirit, actually.

Theoretical-head knowledge is no good-it is the putting the Word of the Lord in practice.

And you can see all of us in our daily lives.... from your self hallowed Throne of Judgement?

Episkopos also tells us that we are not really doing anything in life for Christ.

I guess he is sharing your crystal ball.
Nice job U2.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ed in repentance is baptism.Then that means you are trusting in water to go to heaven.

You'll never make it, if that is your faith....., as that is not faith in Christ, who is THE WAY to the Father. John 14:6

Not Water.

Believe it.
I trust in......... repentance...........to qualify for eternal salvation. Included in that process is the requirement of baptism. I fear you are the one that will be challenged to make it....have you been baptized? If not get it done..now.

The KJV Bible says so. I trust God's word.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johann

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you mean to say, is that i dont need attention.
Thats true.
Im not here for the "Likes", but i appreciate them, and i give a lot of those myself.

And i dont find it edifying to have to read a lot of posts that are teaching water and works, = Salvation.

I actually feel offended im my spirit, actually.

And you can see all of us in our daily lives.... from your self hallowed Throne of Judgement?

Episkopos also tells us that we are not really doing anything in life for Christ.

I guess he is sharing your crystal ball.
Nice job U2.
It appears that you do not like to read the Bible either.
I read your posts and I find that you do not follow scriptures. Why not?

Last edited:

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are born again due to water Baptism.
Respectfully, I disagree. We are “born from above” by ”water and the spirit” and per John 3, this is a work of the Holy Spirit. That makes “water” an ORDINANCE (something commanded for obedience - a symbolic remembrance) rather than a SACRAMENT (an action that conveys supernatural power).

A BAPTIST vs CATHOLIC understanding of the text and the reality that text describes. God saves, water washes off dirt and symbolizes death, burial and resurrection.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Catholic "Jerome" translated the Catholic Bible that offends the Cross, by teaching : "Born again BY water".

That's a cult teaching., taken from a cult's bible.
What verse are you speaking of?

Jerome translated the Greek and Hebrew into Latin for the Vulgate bible. If you mean John 3:5, then here it is in several translations:

• [John 3:5 NKJV] Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
  • [John 3:5 VUL] respondit Iesus amen amen dico tibi nisi quis renatus fuerit ex aqua et Spiritu non potest introire in regnum Dei
  • Here is the Google Translate “translation” for Jerome’s Vulgate: “Jesus answered, Amen, amen, I say to you, unless one is born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God

So what verse did Jerome translate that teaches “born again by water”? Jerome translated John 3:5 correctly.

FYI: Here is the original GREEK (and Google Translate for it):
  • [TR]: 3:5 ἀπεκρίθη ὁ Ἰησοῦς Ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω σοι ἐὰν μή τις γεννηθῇ ἐξ ὕδατοςκαὶ πνεύματος οὐ δύναται εἰσελθεῖν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ
  • [MGNT]: 3:5 ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς ἀμὴν ἀμὴν λέγω σοι ἐὰν μή τις γεννηθῇ ἐξ ὕδατος καὶπνεύματος οὐ δύναται εἰσελθεῖν εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ
  • [TR through Google Translate]: Jesus answered, Amen, amen, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
What verse are you speaking of?

• [John 3:5 NKJV] Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

Let me show you you verse.

Jesus is talking to Nicodemus... and Nico is confused... As Jesus told Him that He must be born > again...

So, the natural mind, Nico's, thinks....>"how can i go back into my mother again, as im a full grown man".

Jesus clarifies.....that the earth birth, were the baby is in a bag of fluid that BREAKS and the baby comes out, is the first birth..

The Heavenly birth.......that is...>>"born ..... AGAIN".... see that? That is the 2nd Birthday, that a CHRISTians has..

"Jesus said... "you must be Born.......AGAIN"

Its that one @atpollard

And here is the version that corrupted the understanding of John 3 and created billions of heretics and a large number of "water cult" denominations...

The Douay-Rheims..

The Catholic Version.

It says this......as i have quoted ...

"""""unless a man be born again of water'"""""

So, here is the update for you.... no one is BORN AGAIN of WATER....

You can only be BORN.....AGAIN....by the Holy Spirit of God.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Jesus is talking to Nicodemus... and Nico is confused... As Jesus told Him that He must be born > again...

So, the natural mind, Nico's, thinks....>"how can i go back into my mother again, as im a full grown man".

Jesus clarifies.....that the earth birth, were the baby is in a bag of fluid that BREAKS and the baby comes out, is the first birth..

The Heavenly birth.......that is...>>"born ..... AGAIN".... see that? That is the 2nd Birthday, that a CHRISTians has..

Its that one @atpollard

And here is the version that corrupted the understanding of John 3 and created billions of heretics and a large number of "water cult" denominations...

The Douay-Rheims..

The Catholic Version.

I guess Nicodemus didn’t understand because he was in the flesh, he wasn’t born again.

Only a Born Again would understand what Jesus is saying to Nicodemus.

A non believer as I once was, I wouldn’t of had a clue what “ Born Again “ meant....not until I was “ birthed in the Spirit from above, it’s a supernatural act that only God can do....and we can’t explain how God births us in the Spirit either.....it’s a mystery....

John 3:8​

“The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.”

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I guess Nicodemus didn’t understand because he was in the flesh, he wasn’t born again.

Only a Born Again would understand what Jesus is saying to Nicodemus.

A non believer as I once was, I wouldn’t of had a clue what “ Born Again “ meant....not until I was “ birthed in the Spirit from above, it’s a supernatural act that only God can do....and we can’t explain how God births us in the Spirit either.....it’s a mystery....

Yes.

This Jesus<>Nico situation is 2000 yrs ago. Its before the Cross.

Jesus was walking around doing good, doing miracles, and Nico was affected by the anointing of Jesus, as this was an honest man, who understood that Jesus was something unique, special.
And the Jews, were looking for Messiah.. They are STILL looking for Him.

"the Jews require a SIGN", and that means..."show us some God stuff" 'Show us some MIRACLES"... .and Jesus was doing them by the thousands.

Healing Lepers.
Opening blind eyes.
Casting out demons
Raising the Dead.

Nicodemus saw this, and he believed, but he was caught up in a hyper-religious cult, and was sort of sneaking around in the night, trying to talk to Jesus.

And Jesus told him..
Your first birth.....Your mama's water broke. and you are BORN OF WATER....

The Catholics retranslated that into "Born again by WATER"= cult teaching. = "water baptism".

Jesus however isn't a Catholic, or a Calvinist, or a Baptist, or a (____________enter your denomination)........ He is GOD in the flesh.
Including this..." Christ is THAT Spirit"?
What Spirit"?
This one..."God is A Spirit".

And its by the HOLY SPIRIT< that the BELIEVER gets the 2nd Birth... that is a Spiritual Birth, as "Born again".

Jesus said...>"you MUST be ... born......again".

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Jesus however isn't a Catholic, or a Calvinist, or a Baptist, or a (____________enter your denomination)........ He is GOD in the flesh.
Including this..." Christ is THAT Spirit"?
What Spirit"?
This one..."God is A Spirit".

And its by the HOLY SPIRIT< that the BELIEVER get the 2nd Birth... that is a Spiritual Birth, as "Born agai
Excellent.....AMEN!!!...

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Its that one @atpollard

The Douay-Rheims..

The Catholic Version.

3:5 "unless one is born of water and the Spirit" This is another THIRD CLASS CONDITIONAL SENTENCE. There may be a contrast (so typical of John's writings) between

the physical versus the spiritual (no ARTICLE with "spirit")
the earthly versus the heavenly
This contrast is implied in John 3:6.

The theories for the meaning of "water" are

the rabbis use it of male semen
the water of child birth
John's baptism symbolizing repentance (cf. John 1:26; 3:23)

the OT background meaning ceremonial sprinkling by the Spirit (cf. Ezek. 36:25-27)
Christian baptism (although Nicodemus could not have understood it that way, first mentioned by Justin and Irenaeus)

In context theory #3—John's water baptism and John's statement about the Messiah's baptizing with the Holy Spirit—must be the most obvious meanings.

Birth, in this context, is metaphorical and we must not let Nicodemus' misunderstanding of the terms dominate the interpretation. Therefore, theory #1 is inappropriate.

Although Nicodemus would not have understood Jesus' words as referring to later Christian baptism, John the Apostle often interjects his theology into the historical words of Jesus (cf. John 3:14-21). Theory #2 would fit John's dualism of above and below, God's realm and the earthly realm. In defining these terms one must determine whether they are contrasting (#1 or #2) or complementary (#4).

D. A. Carson, Exegetical Fallacies, mentions another option: that both words refer to one birth, an eschatological birth following Ezek. 36:25-27, which describes the "new covenant" of Jer. 31:31-34 (p. 42).

F. F. Bruce, Answers to Questions, also sees Ezekiel as the OT allusion behind Jesus' words. It may even have been a reference to proselyte baptism, which Nicodemus, a noted rabbinical teacher, must also do! (p. 67).

2) "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit," (ean me tis gennethe eks hudatos kai pneumatos) "Unless anyone is born of water and spirit;" This alludes to two births: First, there is the birth from the mother's womb, the natural birth, referred to in medical terms as, the “water birth," by which the natural man or the old man is born; Second, there is the birth, begettal, or quickening by the spirit, referred to as the "new birth," birth from above, when man's spirit is quickened by God's Spirit, by which one becomes a new creature in Christ Jesus and a child of God, fit to enter the kingdom of God, and then by baptism into the church, Joh_6:63; 1Jn_5:1; Gal_3:26-27.

A.T. Robertson

Of water and the Spirit (ex hudatos kai pneumatos). Nicodemus had failed utterly to grasp the idea of the spiritual birth as essential to entrance into the Kingdom of God. He knew only Jews as members of that kingdom, the political kingdom of Pharisaic hope which was to make all the world Jewish (Pharisaic) under the King Messiah. Why does Jesus add ex hudatos here?

In Joh_3:3 we have “anōthen” (from above) which is repeated in Joh_3:7, while in Joh_3:8 we have only ek tou pneumatos (of the Spirit) in the best manuscripts. Many theories exist.

One view makes baptism, referred to by ex hudatos (coming up out of water), essential to the birth of the Spirit, as the means of obtaining the new birth of the Spirit. If so, why is water mentioned only once in the three demands of Jesus (Joh_3:3, Joh_3:5, Joh_3:7)?

Calvin makes water and Spirit refer to the one act (the cleansing work of the Spirit). Some insist on the language in Joh_3:6 as meaning the birth of the flesh coming in a sac of water in contrast to the birth of the Spirit.

One wonders after all what was the precise purpose of Jesus with Nicodemus, the Pharisaic ceremonialist, who had failed to grasp the idea of spiritual birth which is a commonplace to us.

By using water (the symbol before the thing signified) first and adding Spirit, he may have hoped to turn the mind of Nicodemus away from mere physical birth and, by pointing to the baptism of John on confession of sin which the Pharisees had rejected, to turn his attention to the birth from above by the Spirit.

That is to say the mention of “water” here may have been for the purpose of helping Nicodemus without laying down a fundamental principle of salvation as being by means of baptism. Bernard holds that the words hudatos kai (water and) do not belong to the words of Jesus, but “are a gloss, added to bring the saying of Jesus into harmony with the belief and practice of a later generation.” Here Jesus uses eiselthein (enter) instead of idein (see) of Joh_3:3, but with the same essential idea (participation in the kingdom).

-