Do you feel your sin just as I feel my sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billy Graham said "The closer you come to Jesus the more you will feel your sin". He's right. I sin every hour of every day, nothing that will make the evening news but sins nonetheless. I am remorseful, but not repentant. I don't revel in sin, but I certainly struggle with it. I wish that I could be perfect instead of what I actually am.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Billy Graham said "The closer you come to Jesus the more you will feel your sin". He's right. I sin every hour of every day, nothing that will make the evening news but sins nonetheless. I am remorseful, but not repentant. I don't revel in sin, but I certainly struggle with it. I wish that I could be perfect instead of what I actually am.
We all fall short in many things. I suppose that's why it's a good idea not to assume the role of teacher.
We ask for greater understanding and God usually teaches us from our own experience. We are to keep our ears and eyes open before we engage our mouth with half baked knowledge.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree that before you become a Christian you don't really recognise sin, but after you are born again you begin to see it for what it is and dwelling on it can bring you down. You must learn to let go of it and allow the Holy Spirit to change you. Then as you mature you realise that there is much less sin in your life - and it's different too, as you recognise those 'hidden' sins like pride, arrogance, intolerance etc.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Patrick1966, Are there sins listed in the Bible that are stated to be wrong or unloving that you were able to repent of? For me, I no longer willfully sin but I still have sin in thought perhaps or a characteristic that is sin in me that I can't change naturally or totally yet but I can try and sin less in action... so just because something is a bad characteristic of you in the natural (your natural sin nature), it doesn't mean that you can't change your actions to become a better, more loving person and when Jesus/God says something is wrong about something, it means something is wrong/bad about it and that we should change. God will be happy and you will be blessed in the kingdom of heaven and He will reveal things to you the closer you are in relationship with Him. To love God is to be obedient to Him and to love/do to others too as you would love/do for yourself. If you find things hard, pray and ask Him things. I pray everyday. God bless you!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am remorseful, but not repentant.
Which brings up the question of what "repentance" really is.

Since I love biblical word studies...

OT: נָחַם ("nacham"): to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent
NT: μετανοέω ("metanoeo"): to change one's mind, i.e. to repent; to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

I remember this one from a seminar I once took: Repentance isn't changing; it's wanting to change. Repentance isn't changing yourself; it's God's methodology for changing you. Repentance is agreeing with God about who He is, who you are, and what NEEDS to change.

(Yeah, yeah, I know. We want to change - but we don't want to change. Or we can't change.)

Patrick, by these definitions, "feeling your sins" IS repentance.

Last edited:

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1:9- KJV If we  confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us OUR SINS, and to CLEANSE us from all unrighteousness.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of
this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Ezekiel 18:21-23 - But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statues, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Read More...)

Proverbs 28:13 - He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.

Revelation 2:5 - Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

2 Corinthians 7:10-12
King James Version
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.
12 Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Patrick1966, Are there sins listed in the Bible that are stated to be wrong or unloving that you were able to repent of? For me, I no longer willfully sin but I still have sin in thought perhaps or a characteristic that is sin in me that I can't change naturally or totally yet but I can try and sin less in action... so just because something is a bad characteristic of you in the natural (your natural sin nature), it doesn't mean that you can't change your actions to become a better, more loving person and when Jesus/God says something is wrong about something, it means something is wrong/bad about it and that we should change. God will be happy and you will be blessed in the kingdom of heaven and He will reveal things to you the closer you are in relationship with Him. To love God is to be obedient to Him and to love/do to others too as you would love/do for yourself. If you find things hard, pray and ask Him things. I pray everyday. God bless you!

Thank you. Yes, I am trying to change!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which brings up the question of what "repentance" really is.

Since I love biblical word studies...

OT: נָחַם ("nacham"): to be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent
NT: μετανοέω ("metanoeo"): to change one's mind, i.e. to repent; to change one's mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins

I remember this one from a seminar I once took: Repentance isn't changing; it's wanting to change. Repentance isn't changing yourself; it's God's methodology for changing you. Repentance is agreeing with God about who He is, who you are, and what NEEDS to change.

(Yeah, yeah, I know. We want to change - but we don't want to change. Or we can't change.)

Patrick, by these definitions, "feeling your sins" IS repentance.

Thank you for sharing.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I have come to slowly learn that change is related to how I see.
I have discovered that from taking note of what Jesus emphasised.

For the most part, the closer I get to him the stronger or the most obvious my sin appears to myself and I need to do battle with the accusing voices.....and that battle consists of calling for help when I least have the inclination.

'Trying' to overcome my sin has not been very successful but being conscious and calling for help when, as Phoneman777 says, 'temptation comes in like a whirlwind', restores my calm and strengthens me.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have God's promise that if we draw near to Him, He draws near to us. Now, considering He's also promised, I will never leave you, nor forsake you, I can only imagine that His drawing near to me will be in a more experiential way, knowing His presence with me, His hand upon me. And His presence, for me this is what transforms me the most.

Wanting His nearness, setting my heart towards intimacy with Him, seeking to know Him, wanting to please Him, to me this is drawing near to Him.

Much love!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all things will be given to you as well". That means that when you seek Him and His righteousness first, He will take care of you, all your needs. forsaking your sins and the transformation the best you can right now is nothing to worry about, it's not bad. Satan can trick you into thinking it's bad because he only comes to "steal, kill and destroy" but Jesus said "but I have come to give you life, to live it more abundantly and to the full" and He is the author and finisher of our faith. Most of all, eternity in heaven with no suffering but only love, joy and peace is the ultimate reward. Jesus said "I have prepared a room for you" "in my house there are many rooms" like a mansion! When we get to heaven, we'll be living in a mansion! And He also said "No eye has seen nor ear has heard what God has in store for us who is in heaven"!
@quietthinker and @Patrick1966, trying with effort following the Word has not helped me totally yet but has helped me quite a lot. I have a bad characteristic in me in the natural but I used ways to overcome the sin and I was even happier with an outcome for example, it was a better, more loving, a loving outcome, it was God's way and God also still provided for me.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you're probably still a relatively new Christian, it sounds like. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. I believe you will get there! it took time for me to get there too. If I'm wrong and you've been a Christian for a long time then that means you need to go to a good Bible-based church, read your Bible and begin following God's Word. I say this kindly. With love, tl_p.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I addressed this: here.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Also, you have to remember "you don't need to keep repenting, if your witness is bold" (selah)

(the purpose of repentance, is firstly to create a connection with God, but then largely to build up courage)

Jn1.Chris

May 25, 2023
Virginia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come to slowly learn that change is related to how I see.
I have discovered that from taking note of what Jesus emphasised.

For the most part, the closer I get to him the stronger or the most obvious my sin appears to myself and I need to do battle with the accusing voices.....and that battle consists of calling for help when I least have the inclination.

'Trying' to overcome my sin has not been very successful but being conscious and calling for help when, as Phoneman777 says, 'temptation comes in like a whirlwind', restores my calm and strengthens me.

Yes yes yes

Reactions: thelord's_pearl

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's hard to believe you sin every hour of every day. God only gave us a few commandments to obey. I'm not saying that's an easy task, but if we succeed in obeying those commandments, our guilt should dissipate, I believe. I think that's what Jesus meant in Matthew 4:17.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's hard to believe you sin every hour of every day. God only gave us a few commandments to obey. I'm not saying that's an easy task, but if we succeed in obeying those commandments, our guilt should dissipate, I believe. I think that's what Jesus meant in Matthew 4:17.
there are many commandments in the Bible to follow, even the command of taking care of your body as it's the Holy Temple of God is difficult. I have transformed a lot from when I was just in the world.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there are many commandments in the Bible to follow, even the command of taking care of your body as it's the Holy Temple of God is difficult. I have transformed a lot from when I was just in the world.
Not everything God or Jesus said was a commandment.

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not everything God or Jesus said was a commandment.
it didn't say "The Ten Commandments" but from what I recall it did say in the Bible that we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven if we didn't do a list of things and there are things in the bible that is God's Word that we are to follow, not disregard and wilfully sin without a care; we may struggle in the beginning but we can also improve or God can eventually help us while we are still in this life on Earth.