Do you find it hard to take breaks?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally find it hard to spend time relaxing.

1. I feel guilty because there's always more I can do.

2. I wasn't raised to aspire to be a homemaker and housewife so I pictured myself as taking the easy way out. To this day, I perceive myself as having an easy life.

3. Pride tells me I don't need to rest and I can do it all.

Does anyone else force themselves to take time off busyness and activity? Maybe you make Sunday your rest day? I can't remember the last time I just took a day off so Im taking the rest of the day off.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

2. I wasn't raised to aspire to be a homemaker and housewife so I pictured myself as taking the easy way out. To this day, I perceive myself as having an easy life.

Does anyone else force themselves to take time off busyness and activity? Maybe you make Sunday your rest day? I can't remember the last time I just took a day off so Im taking the rest of the day off.
I never found Sundays particularly restful. There always seemed to be mad rush to get ready to go to church and then to prepare meals afterwards. When I was working I took my day of rest on a Thursday which was my day off. And I devoted it to resting; no housework on a Thursday.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never found Sundays particularly restful. There always seemed to be mad rush to get ready to go to church and then to prepare meals afterwards. When I was working I took my day of rest on a Thursday which was my day off. And I devoted it to resting; no housework on a Thursday.

I know what you mean about Sunday. It can be my busiest day.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know what you mean about Sunday. It can be my busiest day.
As it is for clergy and pastors etc. Far better to take your day of rest when you have time to actually rest.

Reactions: Wynona

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hi Wynona,

remember that the Lord also took time aside from speaking to the multitudes and went up into a mountain.

Now may I ask whether you are the Lord`s or is He just there to bail you out at times. I mean are you in charge of your life, or are you conscience of being led by Him. Resting our minds and bodies is healthy. Perhaps you can take time with the Lord to see what He would have for your itinerary?

Are you spending time with others, praying, studying his word, sharing or are you just meeting sitting?

Are you trying to relax in front of the TV etc rather than go for a quiet walk?

If we fill ourselves up with the world`s news, conversations then what have we to give to others when we are with them?

If you don`t look after yourself then it is always those close at hand who get our anger, frustration, niggles, etc.

Just some thoughts to think about and perhaps adjust your life towards the Lord more.

regards, Marilyn.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Wynona,

remember that the Lord also took time aside from speaking to the multitudes and went up into a mountain.

Now may I ask whether you are the Lord`s or is He just there to bail you out at times. I mean are you in charge of your life, or are you conscience of being led by Him. Resting our minds and bodies is healthy. Perhaps you can take time with the Lord to see what He would have for your itinerary?

Are you spending time with others, praying, studying his word, sharing or are you just meeting sitting?

Are you trying to relax in front of the TV etc rather than go for a quiet walk?

If we fill ourselves up with the world`s news, conversations then what have we to give to others when we are with them?

If you don`t look after yourself then it is always those close at hand who get our anger, frustration, niggles, etc.

Just some thoughts to think about and perhaps adjust your life towards the Lord more.

regards, Marilyn.
Hi @Marilyn C Excellent to take the time to read the Scriptures prayerfully..............

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

An hour in the prayer closet is like a full night of sleep for me.... I don't literally go into a closet, but i do fall asleep in prayer, and it revitalizes the soul better than rest does. I Have prayed till 3 or 4 in the morning and then had to get up at five, and because of that prayer time I am awake and alert all day despite only getting an hour of actual sleep. Prayer IMO is the secret to finding true rest, because the focus is off of me and on God. The presence of God is refreshing....

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; acts 3:19

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I've been working on my projects for the past almost 7 years now, sometimes 12 hour days. I'm finding that now I've been taking time off and it feels good. But when I worked for employers I never got time off because of my illnesses. I took sick days here and there so I never got a vacation.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
An hour in the prayer closet is like a full night of sleep for me.... I don't literally go into a closet, but i do fall asleep in prayer, and it revitalizes the soul better than rest does. I Have prayed till 3 or 4 in the morning and then had to get up at five, and because of that prayer time I am awake and alert all day despite only getting an hour of actual sleep. Prayer IMO is the secret to finding true rest, because the focus is off of me and on God. The presence of God is refreshing....

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; acts 3:19
Both Philippians 4 and 1 Thess. 5 link prayer with joy and thanksgiving........

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you find it hard to take breaks?
OP^

Uh, no. I start my day at 3 am, working and may not stop until 7pm. So, no, especially when the weather is hot, I have no problem taking breaks, chasing some shade, catching a breeze, fluids and watching for a big cloud float over and give me some relief. :)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sure always more to do. My LIST is continual always adding to it. ;)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“A man may work from dusk to dawn, but a woman’s work is never done.”

It’s an old saying, and sometimes it pops into my mind when I read the story of Martha and Mary in Luke 10:38-42. Jesus ready with the answer.