Do you pray in the spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you pray in the spirit?

• Yes I do

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Callin' it as I see it: It's you that doesn't want this gift...not God.
And that's fine.

If the water is there and you don't want to jump in, fine...don't blame the water...
the water has nothing to do with it....'If the water wanted me to jump in,
it would be 82 degrees..."
It's all about what you desire or don't desire...either way is perfect.

You're right. I don't want it. I don't see a need for it. That doesn't mean I am in any way rejecting God.

My discussions and prayers with God are private. I don't see where a special language would add anything to the interaction. After all, He knows what's on my mind before I even bring it forward.

If the water is there and you don't want to jump in, fine...don't blame the water...

I'm not blaming anyone...

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Job
I know ur not rejecting God.
I also know that water analogy wasn't a great one...it shouldn't have
been about blaming...rather more about ifs and conditions...if the water this and that, then....same with God if He this and that ...then...
When it's all about you and your own desire. Hard one for me to explain what I mean well, sorry.

Something about praying on tongues...a healer could pray for a person's kidneys to be healed.
But, if they pray in tongues, whispering for no one to hear...the prayer goes past
the mind and is from spirit to spirit..unconsciously to you..and could be asking for their kidneys and all the specific underlying causes, including psychological things to be healed by name...as I see it and have read in different places.

If a person has to make a presentation...he can pray everything goes well.
But, if they prayed in tongues...an example could be instead of going well...it
goes super well on levels the person would never have imagined!

Is it a necessity, no.

I'm writing this as an fyi to anyone reading, we all want to understand this thing
more.
This is my take that has helped me with this gift that kinda just happened to me...I
was dragged to a church at 7 pm on a Thurs ( with a smile, "Ok, I'll go..") and it all just unfolded.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something about praying on tongues...a healer could pray for a person's kidneys to be healed.
But, if they pray in tongues, whispering for no one to hear...the prayer goes past
the mind and is from spirit to spirit..unconsciously to you..
and could be asking for their kidneys and all the specific underlying causes, including psychological things to be healed by name...

This already takes place without the need for the individual to pray in tongues.

Romans 8
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If God wanted me to have this gift, He wouldn't have me watch a video or read someone's book.

Believing that Spiritual gifts of God can be had by simply watching a video is believing that man is able to override the will of God. That isn't possible. The only one who is able to plant these seeds of deception is the father of lies. If you're speaking in "tongues" because of what you learned from a video, one has to wonder what it is you're actually saying and to whom.

I don't want to sound judgmental here, but the spirits are nothing to toy with. God is not going to go through man to impart His gifts.

That's just what I believe...

Ok if God did want you to have this gift what would He do?
If you watch a video of a believer telling you how to pray in the spirit, is that not steel sharpning steel. Can no brother teach any other brother?
Its not over riding Gods will if its already Gods will for all to be edified in the spirit.
Are you telling me satan is the only liar. Do Christians not lie daily? Do you not believe satan uses Christians to do his dirty work.
When [raying in the spirit for self edification. Ther believer has no clue as to what is being said none. Its Holy Ghost speaking for you and bringing about the edification process. Its called stammering lips and babaling in the bible. And its God the Holy Ghost is speaking tio through your babbaling. satan has no clue to what is being said or done in the spirit. Did you never think satan almost knows my every thought. Well he did but not now.
God went through man at the start. Apostles. after the=m He wemt through all manner of man. and today still does. God and Jesus both took a seat whan there work was finnished. Its down to us now. The only way Christians will fully stop the sin in there lives is through tounges and the Holy Ghiost does the rest. all you have to do is die to self and bend the knee to self and pray in tounges and be edified. most people who try it stop at the first hurdle. Self. They think nothing is happening and get bored and stop. This is a life commitment. But it get better after some time. Cant put a date on it as every person has many faults that have to die and its painfull when it is being revealed.

I dont think you are being judgmental. just causious

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This already takes place without the need for the individual to pray in tongues.

Romans 8
26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

But this is what He does when you pray in tounges.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're right. I don't want it. I don't see a need for it. That doesn't mean I am in any way rejecting God.

My discussions and prayers with God are private. I don't see where a special language would add anything to the interaction. After all, He knows what's on my mind before I even bring it forward.

I'm not blaming anyone...

Its clear what the special language does. It edifies You. It builds you up in your most holy faith. You will see more done by your hand through the incressed faith that is getting built up in you. The difference between a long timer in tounges and another who doesnt pray at all in tounges . Is miles apart. The tounges is all about you and putting you to death in the flesh. Its about santification of you. Its about you becong like Christ. Really becoming like Christ. You praying in English and the Holy Ghost praying through you is pay as you go penny a minute and super fast broadband.
Chalk and cheese, black and white. Its for you. But there are many many other benifits for a lot of people round about you. It is not just about you praying a better prayer. Its about you becoming Christ like for real. and loving people for real, and not being offended. and the very first thing you will recive if you continue for estended periods of time in tounges. Is truth. No one will ever be able to preach lies ever to you again or mislead you with Gods word.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The title of the thread is 'do you pray in the Spirit'.

Then, you ask are there any here who speak in tongues.

Are you saying one cannot pray in the Spirit if they do not speak in tongues?

Stranger
Will do when you answer my question. You have seletive reading answering technics.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok if God did want you to have this gift what would He do?
If you watch a video of a believer telling you how to pray in the spirit, is that not steel sharpning steel. Can no brother teach any other brother?
Its not over riding Gods will if its already Gods will for all to be edified in the spirit.
Are you telling me satan is the only liar. Do Christians not lie daily? Do you not believe satan uses Christians to do his dirty work.
When [raying in the spirit for self edification. Ther believer has no clue as to what is being said none. Its Holy Ghost speaking for you and bringing about the edification process. Its called stammering lips and babaling in the bible. And its God the Holy Ghost is speaking tio through your babbaling. satan has no clue to what is being said or done in the spirit. Did you never think satan almost knows my every thought. Well he did but not now.
God went through man at the start. Apostles. after the=m He wemt through all manner of man. and today still does. God and Jesus both took a seat whan there work was finnished. Its down to us now. The only way Christians will fully stop the sin in there lives is through tounges and the Holy Ghiost does the rest. all you have to do is die to self and bend the knee to self and pray in tounges and be edified. most people who try it stop at the first hurdle. Self. They think nothing is happening and get bored and stop. This is a life commitment. But it get better after some time. Cant put a date on it as every person has many faults that have to die and its painfull when it is being revealed.

I dont think you are being judgmental. just causious

You said: "The only way Christians will fully stop the sin in there lives is through tounges and the Holy Ghiost does the rest."

No. I think the spirit who leads you has said that to you, but it is not from the Holy Spirit.

You sound just like a previous Forum member who went by the name of SWORD.

Reactions: Job

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will do when you answer my question. You have seletive reading answering technics.

I have very attentive reading and answering techniques. Which is why I asked what I did.

You need to clarify in order for me to answer your question. If I say I pray in the Spirit, will you then believe I have the gift of tongues? If I say I don't have the gift of tongues, do you believe I can pray in the Spirit? You created the confusion. You need to clear it up.

Stranger

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But this is what He does when you pray in tounges.

Actually it's not. Have another look at the tail end of verse 26.

Romans 8

"Cannot be uttered" is a clear indication that this passage is not about speaking in tongues.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... The only way Christians will fully stop the sin in their lives is through tongues and the Holy Ghost does the rest.
I really liked your whole post :]...I just wanted to say this sentence was...um, I dunno..strange.
When using the words always and only and never, it's usually a red flag that it's not true....not only, not 100%...may be other ways.

"You never take out the trash, you only do when you want something!"
-'That's not true, I took it out in June...you always blame me for everything!'
First words a therapist tells you about in couple counseling! Oh yeah. :D

@Job...good verses. I hope you know I don't care if anyone speaks in tongues.
I'm just putting my .02 in...I believe I'm done...;]...I was doing great before I
spoke in tongues, btw...so I can see where anyone would not be particularly interested.

Reactions: Ally.s.j

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You said: "The only way Christians will fully stop the sin in there lives is through tounges and the Holy Ghiost does the rest."

No. I think the spirit who leads you has said that to you, but it is not from the Holy Spirit.

You sound just like a previous Forum member who went by the name of SWORD.
I was quite sure I said I dont want to debate. I have been asked some questions and wanted to comunicate with out any debates. If you dont agree I dont mind. I never spoke to you how do you know what I sound like :)

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have very attentive reading and answering techniques. Which is why I asked what I did.

You need to clarify in order for me to answer your question. If I say I pray in the Spirit, will you then believe I have the gift of tongues? If I say I don't have the gift of tongues, do you believe I can pray in the Spirit? You created the confusion. You need to clear it up.

Stranger
No I dont, you love confusion it hangs onto you brother and you revel in it. This conversation is not for debating. Its for sharing what you seen through tonuges. Doesnt envolve you.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it's not. Have another look at the tail end of verse 26.

Romans 8

"Cannot be uttered" is a clear indication that this passage is not about speaking in tongues.

The groaning are what happens when you pray in tounges

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I really liked your whole post :]...I just wanted to say this sentence was...um, I dunno..strange.
When using the words always and only and never, it's usually a red flag that it's not true....not only, not 100%...may be other ways.
I have had sin follow me . Some fell off me as I went along. But some never moved nothing. So I often look at guy who have walked in something more than I did. And I learn from them. They went through the tuff part slogging it out to find truth. I can pick up that truth with out the battle. There are certian people who talk and walk it. I trust them to be more knowledgable than what we see here in the forum. Most Christians think they are still sinners. Most Christians think its inpossible to not sin. I dont. I believe God. Nothing shall be impossible to you. The believer. So for 30 years I never saw this sin leave me alone. It continually comes back now and again. But God says we are free. But it continues. So my point is what Dave Roberson is saying I believe is true. Hes teaching as we die to self sin will be exposed and drop off you as you continue in tounges dying to self.
I never saw a break through any other way? I am talking about what I would call deep rooted sin.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The groaning are what happens when you pray in tounges

It can't be, because it clearly states "groanings which cannot be uttered."

Cannot be uttered means the Spirit is speaking in a tongue that only He and the Lord understand. A language that only He and the Lord are privy to. A language that cannot be uttered by mortal man.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.. So my point is what Dave Roberson is saying I believe is true.
He's teaching as we die to self sin will be exposed and drop off you as you continue
in tongues dying to self.
I never saw a break through any other way? I am talking about what I would call deep rooted sin.
Nice...:]

Reactions: Ally.s.j

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It can't be, because it clearly states "groanings which cannot be uttered."

Cannot be uttered means the Spirit is speaking in a tongue that only He and the Lord understand. A language that only He and the Lord are privy to. A language that cannot be uttered by mortal man.

I said that already only God and Holy Ghost understand whats being said for my edification. I see the end result if I persevere.
I had it last night We groan at our sin and Holy Ghost groans for us. I thought on my past years and what a poor selfish husband I was. My wife heard it. As I was processing what just happened. Holy Ghost revealed it to me what just happened. I was groaning in regret at my past. its at that point Holy Ghost makes things happen. He speak on your behalf revealing to you in your spirit and as regrete hits you You start groaning. All I can tell you is what is happening to me.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not just about you praying a better prayer. Its about you becoming Christ like for real. and loving people for real, and not being offended.

So unless I speak in tongues, everything regarding my spiritual life is fake?
default_ohmy.png
I know that's not what you meant but that's what it says. And no I'm not offended. I know where you're coming from.

I am totally content with what I have. Both physically and spiritually. To ask for more would simply be greed on my part. The Lord has given me everything I've ask for. He doesn't always give me what I want, but He does see to it that I get what I need.

If the Lord wanted me speaking in tongues, I would be speaking in tongues. It's as simple as that.