Do you write in your Bible?

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

Well-Known Member
May 3, 2022
36,301
25,843
113
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Gender
Male
1789394277802.png

This is an example of someone (not me) writing in their Bible. How common is it for people to write in their Bibles? Do you write in yours?

I own dozens of Bibles. I only write in Bibles that I use to teach and preach from.
 

markalan

Well-Known Member
May 31, 2021
601
416
63
80
Perth
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
This is an example of someone (not me) writing in their Bible. How common is it for people to write in their Bibles? Do you write in yours?

I own dozens of Bibles. I only write in Bibles that I use to teach and preach from.

My old Bible does not look like the one pictured but I have at least one verse underlined on most pages.

I recently bought an online large print KJV second hand ... the previous owner neatly printed in the margin the modern meaning of all the "hard" words that have changed such as leasing.

I cherish my deceased mother's Bible for the verses she underlined ... she had a difficult life so it is very moving to see those words that gave her strength to endure trials.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias

Lambano

Well-Known Member
Jul 13, 2021
10,691
13,335
113
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
This is an example of someone (not me) writing in their Bible. How common is it for people to write in their Bibles? Do you write in yours?

I own dozens of Bibles. I only write in Bibles that I use to teach and preach from.
These days I'm mostly using on-line bibles, and Blue Letter Bible's site owner won't authorize me to write on their site, darn it.
 

markalan

Well-Known Member
May 31, 2021
601
416
63
80
Perth
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
These days I'm mostly using on-line bibles, and Blue Letter Bible's site owner won't authorize me to write on their site, darn it.
Even at church services I see people using Blue Letter Bible on their phones ... I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy but it doesn't feel like a real Bible to me :clmSmlx
 
  • Loveit!
Reactions: JimKnox

TrevorHL

Active Member
Jul 17, 2024
691
211
43
82
New South Wales / Lake Macquarie
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Greetings Matthias,
This is an example of someone (not me) writing in their Bible. How common is it for people to write in their Bibles? Do you write in yours?
As young people we were encouraged to write in our Bibles. Many of us had Oxford Wide Margin Bibles. One exercise given to us was to mark where Isaiah was quoted in the NT, referencing both the OT and NT passages. We were given a thorough list but there is also a more useful list in Barnes OT Commentary accessed via Bible Hub. I also marked the relevant verses in the Psalms. Some of our members have very thorough Bible marking, and most of these are much more tidy than the example that you gave. I made extensive notes on Galatians, but the writing is very small and now difficult to read.

After 50 years my Oxford Bible started to fall to bits and I inherited an almost new Interlinear RV/KJV from my mother's estate. I have yet to mark many of the NT quotations of the OT. As I usually work using Logos8 Bible Program, I have made many notes in that facility in more recent years.

Kind regards
Trevor
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias

TitusTwoWife

Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 26, 2026
765
1,007
93
31
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
I have a note taking Bible with lines in the margins. Ive only written a few things.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias

Episkopos

Well-Known Member
May 17, 2011
15,519
23,245
113
68
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
I write tons. A lot of Hebrew in my English and French bibles...and a lot of English and French in my Hebrew bible.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias

TrevorHL

Active Member
Jul 17, 2024
691
211
43
82
New South Wales / Lake Macquarie
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Greetings again Matthias.
This is an example of someone (not me) writing in their Bible. How common is it for people to write in their Bibles? Do you write in yours?
I have recently received an interesting addition to my library which in some respects resembles a fully marked up Wide Margin Bible. It was a gift from a US speaker who stayed with my brother-in-law when he visited and spoke in Sydney. It is Dake's Annotated Reference Bible with Concordance and Index 1961. It has two columns of KJV text and two columns of notes and reference material on either side. There is not much room for personal notes except for a small amount at the bottom of the page. Possibly good for reference, but I will continue to use my RV/KJV Interlinear Bible. In a way Dake's Bible is not much different to Ethelbert W Bullinger;s Companion Bible or my NASB Study Bible which comes with some Notes on each page, a Strong's Concordance and a limited Lexicon of important words.

Kind regards
Trevor
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias

Jay Ross

Well-Known Member
Jun 20, 2011
9,784
3,655
113
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
Do you write in the Bible you have?

My problem is that the contextual accuracy of the translations that have been produced by the "scholars" through the "committees" process leaves a lot to be desired.

What I have been working on slowly is to produce my own paraphrased translation of the original text.

The problem I have is that people will trust a translation compiled by a committee rather than by a single person based on the premise that a committee is less likely to make "mistakes" in the committee generated process, however I have come to accept that a committee can generate just as many mistakes as a single person makes in their understanding of the "original" scriptural texts.

People also hate change and so it is a very slow process to produce new translations that will readily sell to the general public at large. An example of this is the KJV which many "Christians" still prefer over better crafted versions today.

Now, the re-paraphrased biblical text that I have generated for myself have only corrected the contextual errors that I have found/discovered within the translations that exist today.

One example of this is found in Genesis 2:17 which I have rephrased to read in this manner.
1791662594024.png

However, many scholars suggest that the concept of the "Second Death" has been revealed to us slowly in the scriptures, whereas it is my contention that the "Second Death" was introduced to Adam before he entered the Garden of Eden and that it was a distant future event which would be decided at the end of the Seventh Age when all of mankind will be judged for their righteousness.

In Ezekiel 18, the prophet tells us that the consequences of being a candidate to be dispatched into the Lake of Fire, i.e. the second death, can be overturned if we, that is anyone who will humble themselves and repent of their sins against God and will be called righteous at the time of the Judgement at the end of the seventh age. Ezekiel 18 also tells us that if a righteous man sins and will not humble themselves and repent of their sins against God that they will not gain everlasting life at the time of the final judgement but that they will also be cast into the Lake of Fire, i.e. the Second Death.

In the inserted image of what my corrected contextual translation looks like it is easy for other readers to see the contextual translated text that I perceive is in error and my inserted text which I believe corrects this error.

Simply writing in "my Bible" to correct these contextual errors is not workable because when I have to replace my printed Bible because it is falling apart because of its age, I lose the work that I have done and the new Bible is once more just a blank sheet with none of my previous learned/revealed understanding of the Bible within its fresh pages.

Instead, I use a computer "Writing Program" to store my revelations in.


Shalom
 

Matthias

Well-Known Member
May 3, 2022
36,301
25,843
113
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Gender
Male
My problem is that the contextual accuracy of the translations that have been produced by the "scholars" through the "committees" process leaves a lot to be desired.

What I have been working on slowly is to produce my own paraphrased translation of the original text.

The problem I have is that people will trust a translation compiled by a committee rather than by a single person based on the premise that a committee is less likely to make "mistakes" in the committee generated process, however I have come to accept that a committee can generate just as many mistakes as a single person makes in their understanding of the "original" scriptural texts.

People also hate change and so it is a very slow process to produce new translations that will readily sell to the general public at large. An example of this is the KJV which many "Christians" still prefer over better crafted versions today.

Now, the re-paraphrased biblical text that I have generated for myself have only corrected the contextual errors that I have found/discovered within the translations that exist today.

One example of this is found in Genesis 2:17 which I have rephrased to read in this manner.
View attachment 91466

However, many scholars suggest that the concept of the "Second Death" has been revealed to us slowly in the scriptures, whereas it is my contention that the "Second Death" was introduced to Adam before he entered the Garden of Eden and that it was a distant future event which would be decided at the end of the Seventh Age when all of mankind will be judged for their righteousness.

In Ezekiel 18, the prophet tells us that the consequences of being a candidate to be dispatched into the Lake of Fire, i.e. the second death, can be overturned if we, that is anyone who will humble themselves and repent of their sins against God and will be called righteous at the time of the Judgement at the end of the seventh age. Ezekiel 18 also tells us that if a righteous man sins and will not humble themselves and repent of their sins against God that they will not gain everlasting life at the time of the final judgement but that they will also be cast into the Lake of Fire, i.e. the Second Death.

In the inserted image of what my corrected contextual translation looks like it is easy for other readers to see the contextual translated text that I perceive is in error and my inserted text which I believe corrects this error.

Simply writing in "my Bible" to correct these contextual errors is not workable because when I have to replace my printed Bible because it is falling apart because of its age, I lose the work that I have done and the new Bible is once more just a blank sheet with none of my previous learned/revealed understanding of the Bible within its fresh pages.

Instead, I use a computer "Writing Program" to store my revelations in.


Shalom

That’s interesting. I understand and appreciate your problem.

None of the Bibles you own have been written in by you?
 

Jay Ross

Well-Known Member
Jun 20, 2011
9,784
3,655
113
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Gender
Male
None of the Bibles you own have been written in by you?

I am still working on the contextual repairs of the translations that are presently available to buy.

One could say that I am writing in the available Biblical text on my computer. It also allows me to add my footnotes as well.

As such I am creating my own translation of the original texts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias

TLHKAJ

Well-Known Member
Sep 12, 2020
11,236
12,385
113
US
youtu.be
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Yes, I write in my Bible/s. My first one was a KJV Study Bible given to me when I was barely 14 by my youth pastors upon accomplishing their challenge of memorizing the books of the Bible.

I wrote in it, slept with it, took it everywhere with me ...to school, even. I had it all the way into my marriage and still kept it with me nearly 24/7. I wore it out, pages falling out, notes, highlights, etc. I finally had to retire that one.

I have another that I highlight, and make notes, etc. My goal is that it too will be as well used as the other. ❤️
 
  • Like
Reactions: Matthias