Does Christ's command to love one another count on the internet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
First of all, I am not the one who brought Stan into it. That was you, Forrest. You assumed that I was referring to him, but I did not mention his name. Read the op again.

Second, I have to smile when you guys accuse me of being "self-righteous"....right after comparing yourselves to Paul the Apostle. I know it really isn't funny...but I can't help it.

Nobody knows better than I do how far short I fall from the glory of God. But then, I'm not the one using my "discernment" to judge "faceless entities on the internet". Mostly what I do on here is urge people to obey God's commandments.

Honestly, do you guys even read the stuff you are posting?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Every time someone brings up the speck and the log, you can be sure that they are not referring to their own eyes. It's always someone else who has the log...and they know this because their eyes are clear...

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
First of all, I am not the one who brought Stan into it. That was you, Forrest. You assumed that I was referring to him, but I did not mention his name. Read the op again.
Second, I have to smile when you guys accuse me of being "self-righteous"....right after comparing yourselves to Paul the Apostle. I know it really isn't funny...but I can't help it.
Nobody knows better than I do how far short I fall from the glory of God. But then, I'm not the one using my "discernment" to judge "faceless entities on the internet". Mostly what I do on here is urge people to obey God's commandments.
Honestly, do you guys even read the stuff you are posting?
So now you're going to compound your problem by denying what your true intent was?

Nobody compared themselves to Paul, you're the one that made the association.

Mostly what you doing here is preach Old Testament law legality.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Every time someone brings up the speck and the log, you can be sure that they are not referring to their own eyes. It's always someone else who has the log...and they know this because their eyes are clear...
Well as you started this thread I can say yes I wasn't referring to my own eyes. Apparently that love makes you blind to a lot of things?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
So now you're going to compound your problem by denying what your true intent was?
Oh, I freely admit that I was thinking of your remarks when I started this thread...but I was throwing my net a little wider than that. You aren't the only internet bully I know.

Nobody compared themselves to Paul, you're the one that made the association.
Really?

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/22642-does-christs-command-to-love-one-another-count-on-the-internet/?p=277520

http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/22642-does-christs-command-to-love-one-another-count-on-the-internet/?p=277526

Mostly what you doing here is preach Old Testament law legality.
I've been accused of that. However, what I'm actually saying is that the Ten Commandments can not be done away. Just as you couldn't have a Bible without an alphabet, so you couldn't have righteousness without the Ten Commandments. They are the basic laws our faith is built on.
And the funny thing is...when you actually step back and look at them, most Christians do keep nine of the ten of them, without even thinking about it.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just as you couldn't have a Bible without an alphabet, so you couldn't have righteousness without the Ten Commandments. They are the basic laws our faith is built on.
Actually you can. Teh law of thsi world where written because there where bad people on this earth and we nneded a way to make them responsible. Bringing in the laws did not stop good p[eople from being good ot most bad people from being bad, just gave reason for sending the law breakers to prison.

Fuuny how in teh bible it does the same thing.

The law was given to teh Jews by Moses, and when it was given it slew them all.

This bit

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

But it seems some would rather die by the law than be alive in Christ, Jesus cant help that, He gave us teh choice.

Bu again bringing the law in did not make bad men good nor did it make good men bad, it just killed them all. Which is why we have grace.

As for the sabbath

well

Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb_4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

See all is fullfilled in Christ, yet still many do there own works.

See God is love, jesus came to show God, Jesus is love, te hlaw is fullfiled in Love , which is when we are in Christ because Christ is love.

As for works

Luk 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
Luk 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

A friend of mine was told by a non believer. Why should good works prove ones belief. There are many un believers who give up their lives to do good works.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
mjrhealth said:
Actually you can. Teh law of thsi world where written because there where bad people on this earth and we nneded a way to make them responsible. Bringing in the laws did not stop good p[eople from being good ot most bad people from being bad, just gave reason for sending the law breakers to prison.

Fuuny how in teh bible it does the same thing.

The law was given to teh Jews by Moses, and when it was given it slew them all.

This bit

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

But it seems some would rather die by the law than be alive in Christ, Jesus cant help that, He gave us teh choice.

Bu again bringing the law in did not make bad men good nor did it make good men bad, it just killed them all. Which is why we have grace.

As for the sabbath

well

Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.
Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
Heb 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Heb_4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

See all is fullfilled in Christ, yet still many do there own works.

See God is love, jesus came to show God, Jesus is love, te hlaw is fullfiled in Love , which is when we are in Christ because Christ is love.

As for works

Luk 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
Luk 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

A friend of mine was told by a non believer. Why should good works prove ones belief. There are many un believers who give up their lives to do good works.
Balderdash. You keep the law yourself.
Or do you have other gods that you put before God?
Do you make and worship idols?
Do you take God's name in vain?
I won't ask about the Sabbath...that's a whole other debate, and this is as far off topic as I care to go.
Do you mistreat or abuse your parents?
Murdered anyone lately, that you can recall?
How many lovers do you have?
Are you content to do a little shoplifting every now and then, or do you get down with it...are you like a second story man, or something?
I'll bet you know a lot of good gossip...care to share?
Longing for my new SUV? Forget it...

I'm sure there are non believers who do good works...yay for them. What a shame that Christians need to look to unbelievers for our example...

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Balderdash. You keep the law yourself.
Or do you have other gods that you put before God?
Do you make and worship idols?
Do you take God's name in vain?
I won't ask about the Sabbath...that's a whole other debate, and this is as far off topic as I care to go.
Do you mistreat or abuse your parents?
Murdered anyone lately, that you can recall?
How many lovers do you have?
Are you content to do a little shoplifting every now and then, or do you get down with it...are you like a second story man, or something?
I'll bet you know a lot of good gossip...care to share?
Longing for my new SUV? Forget it...
And you know what, i dont have to "worry " about the law to do good.

You just spoke of love and yet here you get angry. Why are you jealous I have nothing that you cannot have, all is there in Christ if you ask.

Jas 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
Jas 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
mjrhealth said:
And you know what, i dont have to "worry " about the law to do good.
Of course, you don't...if you belong to Christ, His Spirit dwells within you. And you have His commandments written on your heart. You will keep them without thinking about it.

You just spoke of love and yet here you get angry. Why are you jealous I have nothing that you cannot have, all is there in Christ if you ask.
Angry? Mj, I am not angry. Whatever made you think that I was?
And I am certainly not jealous. I have my Shepherd, and He has me....what else do I need?

Jas 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
Jas 1:7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
Jas 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
Mj, I have everything I need....
Thanks for your concern, though...

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Oh, I freely admit that I was thinking of your remarks when I started this thread...but I was throwing my net a little wider than that. You aren't the only internet bully I know.
obviously not giving you quoted me verbatim.

The Barrd said:
Yes really, neither one of these referred to or compared anybody to Paul. You might have thought it but it sure wasn't conveyed in writing.

The Barrd said:
I've been accused of that. However, what I'm actually saying is that the Ten Commandments can not be done away. Just as you couldn't have a Bible without an alphabet, so you couldn't have righteousness without the Ten Commandments. They are the basic laws our faith is built on.
Not the issue here and I'm not about to divert the topic.

The Barrd said:
The funny thing is...when you actually step back and look at them, most Christians do keep nine of the ten of them, without even thinking about it.
It's not funny at all, that's what happens when one makes Jesus their savior. I keep telling you it's the New Covenant not the Old Covenant. God actually writes his laws on our hearts. We don't have to view a list of do's and don'ts. we are changed on the inside.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
obviously not giving you quoted me verbatim.
Did I? How bout that.
Do you think you are the only one to use that rather trite and overworked phrase?

Yes really, neither one of these referred to or compared anybody to Paul. You might have thought it but it sure wasn't conveyed in writing.
Of course not. You were referring to a different Paul, not the Apostle from the Bible. And that Paul obviously was turning a different Hymenaeus, Philietus, and Alexander over to the devil.
You weren't referring to Paul the Apostle, or comparing yourself to him in any way, when you said:

Just as Paul did with Hymenaeus and Philetus, and Alexander the blacksmith.
Yeah, right....

Not the issue here and I'm not about to divert the topic.
That's good.

It's not funny at all, that's what happens when one makes Jesus their savior. I keep telling you it's the New Covenant not the Old Covenant. God actually writes his laws on our hearts. We don't have to view a list of do's and don'ts. we are changed on the inside.
:rolleyes: But, Stan, that is exactly what I have been saying! The New Covenant is not a lawless covenant...it's the same laws, written in a new place.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Did I? How bout that.
Do you think you are the only one to use that rather trite and overworked phrase?
Contrary to your thinking I wasn't born yesterday and I know your style. Even when you admit to it you still want to deny it, how bad is that?

The Barrd said:
Of course not. You were referring to a different Paul, not the Apostle from the Bible. And that Paul obviously was turning a different Hymenaeus, Philietus, and Alexander over to the devil.
You weren't referring to Paul the Apostle, or comparing yourself to him in any way
It was an example in support of what lforrest had said. The first one that popped into my mind. You know what they say about assuming aye?

The Barrd said:
But, Stan, that is exactly what I have been saying! The New Covenant is not a lawless covenant...it's the same laws, written in a new place.
Nope, but I'm not going to bother running around pulling quotes from all your posts. People read them and most people know what a legalist you are. The old Covenant which was based on the Mosaic / Levitical laws became obsolete and disappeared, so those laws can't be in effect if they became obsolete and disappeared, now can they?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Contrary to your thinking I wasn't born yesterday and I know your style. Even when you admit to it you still want to deny it, how bad is that?
I'm not denying it at all....you were the one I was thinking of when I posted this thread...but you aren't the only internet bully I know.
And I really do think we all need to remember that it is real people that we are dealing with here...not a bunch of robots.
We can disagree with one another without being rude about it.
You don't have any authority over anyone here, and neither do I. Sometimes, I think you forget that...

It was an example in support of what lforrest had said. The first one that popped into my mind. You know what they say about assuming aye?
Forrest isn't the Apostle Paul, either. Neither one of you needs to be turning anyone over to the devil...that is not your place.

Nope, but I'm not going to bother running around pulling quotes from all your posts. People read them and most people know what a legalist you are. The old Covenant which was based on the Mosaic / Levitical laws became obsolete and disappeared, so those laws can't be in effect if they became obsolete and disappeared, now can they?
Oh, for....I never said, not once, ever, that the Mosaic/Levitical laws were not obsolete. I have been saying all along that the Ten Commandments are still in force. It wasn't that long ago that I was trying to explain to you, that it was the same law, written in a new medium, and compared it to reading a book on Kindle instead of in a cardboard and paper edition...as I recall, the concept was a bit over your head.
You can go "running around pulling quotes from all my posts" all day long, and you will not find me, even once, saying anything different.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
I'm not denying it at all....you were the one I was thinking of when I posted this thread...but you aren't the only internet bully I know.
And I really do think we all need to remember that it is real people that we are dealing with here...not a bunch of robots.
We can disagree with one another without being rude about it.
You don't have any authority over anyone here, and neither do I. Sometimes, I think you forget that...
Well you know that discernment you talked about before... You should try using it sometime. I knew the person I was dealing with was a reincarnation, if you will, of a troll that has frequented this site for the past few years. I just didn't know exactly who it was. Discernment is a lot more than common sense and manners.

The Barrd said:
Forrest isn't the Apostle Paul, either. Neither one of you needs to be turning anyone over to the devil...that is not your place.
He wasn't advocating that either, that's something that you alone assumed on both of us. What I or lforrest does before the Lord is not your concern or your responsibility. It definitely is not up to you try to condemn others for something you understand nothing about. You really need to let the moderators do their job here as well as all the other stuff that are on here and stop trying to dictate how other people should behave. It's not your call.

The Barrd said:
Oh, for....I never said, not once, ever, that the Mosaic/Levitical laws were not obsolete. I have been saying all along that the Ten Commandments are still in force. It wasn't that long ago that I was trying to explain to you, that it was the same law, written in a new medium, and compared it to reading a book on Kindle instead of in a cardboard and paper edition...as I recall, the concept was a bit over your head.
You can go "running around pulling quotes from all my posts" all day long, and you will not find me, even once, saying anything different.
The Ten Commandments were the basis and the beginning of the Mosaic/Levitical law. That's Christianity 101, and something you should really know. You need to read and learn
Exodus 34:27-28
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Well you know that discernment you talked about before... You should try using it sometime. I knew the person I was dealing with was a reincarnation, if you will, of a troll that has frequented this site for the past few years. I just didn't know exactly who it was. Discernment is a lot more than common sense and manners.
Is that supposed to be what you knew that I didn't?

If you thought the person was a reanimated troll, or whatever, you probably should have reported them to the mods. Its up to them to deal with stuff like that....it is not up to you. You do not have any authority here, any more than I do, or anyone else, other than the mods.
There is nothing wrong with common sense and good manners, Stan. True men have and use both.

He wasn't advocating that either, that's something that you alone assumed on both of us. What I or lforrest does before the Lord is not your concern or your responsibility. It definitely is not up to you try to condemn others for something you understand nothing about. You really need to let the moderators do their job here as well as all the other stuff that are on here and stop trying to dictate how other people should behave. It's not your call.
That's good, coming from you. I've lost track of the numbers of times you have told someone how they will find that you don't put up with this or that. Or the number of times you've threatened to report someone. A regular Billy Bad Boy, you are. I'm sorry, but I do not tremble at your step. Call it "misandry" if you like...but it doesn't work on me. Sorry.

The Ten Commandments were the basis and the beginning of the Mosaic/Levitical law. That's Christianity 101, and something you should really know. You need to read and learn
Exodus 34:27-28
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.
They are a lot more than that, Stan.
They are the fundamental, basic laws that our faith is built on...and not only our faith, Stan...but, I think you will find that those last six or seven of them are a part of nearly every code of laws there have ever been. You can't have a society without such laws as "thou shalt not kill" or "thou shalt not steal", and I think even you know that.

It's after midnight where I am, and I'm calling it a night. I'm done trading insults with you. G'night, Stan...

Status
Not open for further replies.