Does Christ's command to love one another count on the internet?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
I recently heard someone excuse his rather obnoxious behavior by saying something along the lines of "well, you are just a faceless entity on the internet".
And it pulled me up short, if you know what I mean.
We need to realize...each "faceless entity" is a real person, just like us.
Do you treat people in the "virtual" world of the internet differently than you treat people in the "real" world?
Do you think that because we cannot see each other as we discuss our faith in these threads, that God cannot see us?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Of course God sees what we write. Those warnings about the tongue can apply to any form of communication.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
lforrest said:
Of course God sees what we write. Those warnings about the tongue can apply to any form of communication.
None of us here are perfect, that is true...and sometimes, as we "discuss" our different ideas about our faith, we can get a bit emotional.
That is why we need folks like you, Forrest, unfortunately.

However, the callous "you're just a faceless entity"...well, that kind of hit me, you know? I always thought it was kind of a bonus...getting to know one another "spirit to spirit", rather than face to face...but that's just me.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I think Stan was trying to avoid a pointless confrontation in the most expedient way possible.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
lforrest said:
I think Stan was trying to avoid a pointless confrontation in the most expedient way possible.
I don't think I named any names...and I'm not trying to get anyone into trouble.

But seriously....
The most expedient way would have been not to engage at all.

If you don't have anything nice to say....etc...

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The Barrd said:
I don't think I named any names...and I'm not trying to get anyone into trouble.

But seriously....
The most expedient way would have been not to engage at all.

If you don't have anything nice to say....etc...
There is no rule about being nice. That is on the contience of the poster. There is a situation when it helps not to be nice.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
lforrest said:
There is no rule about being nice. That is on the contience of the poster. There is a situation when it helps not to be nice.
I think you mean "conscience".

Not to argue, but for your edification:

Pro 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Oh...and then there is this one, as well:

Pro 26:21 As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
Exactly, and I find this thread to be totally against the rules. If Barrd doesn't want me to address her posts, then she shouldn't be making her posts about me. Personally I think this thread should be locked down as being contrary to Forum rules.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
It's something we all need to think about.
Other people will be reading what we post here.

I think of Gandhi, who got close enough to realize that Jesus Christ was someone he could like and admire...but who was put off by the behavior of His followers.
Surely, we should strive to reflect the character of our Lord in all that we do...including dealing with "faceless entities on the internet".
Just because you can't see that person doesn't mean that it's okay to treat them any differently than you would if you were face to face.

We represent Jesus here on the internet just the same as we do when face to face.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
lforrest said:
I keep playing this statement back in my mind.

You click on a thread, and you find that, for whatever reason, you don't like what you read. That's going to happen. Of course, you can choose to debate the other person. Or, you can choose to move on. Sometimes, moving on is the better choice.

But in this case, there really wasn't enough substance to whatever the op was trying to say to give one anything to actually debate about. Let me tell you, Stan wasn't the only one who was annoyed with the way this person was avoiding actually saying anything. I was getting pretty warm there for a minute or two myself.

But there are right ways, and wrong ways, to handle these kinds of situations.

The most expedient way to avoid a pointless confrontation would be to move on...wouldn't it?

Tiny

Nov 29, 2014
Yes, this thread topic is completely true. I think people forget that what they might say on an Internet forum is NOT what they would say face to face. Sadly, I have witnessed better behavior on some worldly forums than I have seen on some Christian forums (not meaning this forum - I'm new here, so have no idea what this place is like!).

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Tiny said:
Yes, this thread topic is completely true. I think people forget that what they might say on an Internet forum is NOT what they would say face to face. Sadly, I have witnessed better behavior on some worldly forums than I have seen on some Christian forums (not meaning this forum - I'm new here, so have no idea what this place is like!).
Well, welcome to CB, Tiny! I do hope you will enjoy your time here.
This place can get pretty wild, although I do think our mods try to do their best.
And we do have our share of bullies who think that because they are hidden behind a computer screen that they can treat other people any old way.

Good times!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The Barrd said:
Well, welcome to CB, Tiny! I do hope you will enjoy your time here.
This place can get pretty wild, although I do think our mods try to do their best.
And we do have our share of bullies who think that because they are hidden behind a computer screen that they can treat other people any old way.

Good times!
With discernment one can make judgments with limited information. Then they can respond to the situation in a manner reflecting this knowledge.

The 'bully' may know something you don't.

There is a time when it is necessary to harshly rebuke someone, and a time to be nice. A time to lead someone to God, and a time to turn them over to Satan.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
lforrest said:
With discernment one can make judgments with limited information. Then they can respond to the situation in a manner reflecting this knowledge.
There is a time when it is necessary to harshly rebuke someone, and a time to be nice. A time to lead someone to God, and a time to turn them over to Satan.
Just as Paul did with Hymenaeus and Philetus, and Alexander the blacksmith.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
lforrest said:
You can't get more limited than someone you've never even met before. Discernment ought to tell you that rudeness to someone you don't even know is not the way to draw them to Christ. And isn't that what we're supposed to be doing...making disciples? If all I knew of Jesus Christ was the way I see "Christians" treating one another on the internet, I don't think I'd want any part of Him...I'd be like Gandhi. I like Jesus...but I do not like His followers.

Then, again, I may know something the bully doesn't.
99 times out of 100, when you scratch a bully, you find a coward hiding underneath. That is especially true of internet bullies. They feel safe, hidden behind their computer screens...but they are not hidden at all.
Don't forget, we will each of us have to give an account for every idle word.
That goes for all of us...yes, even Mods. God doesn't have any respect of persons...

So, now we are comparing internet bullies to Paul the Apostle? Really?
You guys don't think any small beans of yourselves, do you?
You'd be better to be beating your chest and crying "Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner" than trying to judge everyone else....especially some "faceless entity on the internet".

Me, I'd rather be found fighting on the side of "love one another" than "turn them over to Satan"...
I take after my Father...I am not willing that any should perish.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
You can't get more limited than someone you've never even met before. Discernment ought to tell you that rudeness to someone you don't even know is not the way to draw them to Christ. And isn't that what we're supposed to be doing...making disciples? If all I knew of Jesus Christ was the way I see "Christians" treating one another on the internet, I don't think I'd want any part of Him...I'd be like Gandhi. I like Jesus...but I do not like His followers.
Unless one doesn't have discernment. If all I knew of Christ was the self-righteousness I am seeing in other people I wouldn't be too impressed either but I tend to overlook that and blame them for their own shortcomings and not God. You know the whole thing about the speck and the log?

The Barrd said:
Then, again, I may know something the bully doesn't.
99 times out of 100, when you scratch a bully, you find a coward hiding underneath. That is especially true of internet bullies. They feel safe, hidden behind their computer screens...but they are not hidden at all.
Don't forget, we will each of us have to give an account for every idle word.
That goes for all of us...yes, even Mods. God doesn't have any respect of persons...
I'm amazed at how much self-righteousness one woman can produce! I agree with the fact though that you will have to account for Every Idle Word.

The Barrd said:
So, now we are comparing internet bullies to Paul the Apostle? Really?
You guys don't think any small beans of yourselves, do you?
You'd be better to be beating your chest and crying "Lord, be merciful to me, a sinner" than trying to judge everyone else....especially some "faceless entity on the internet".
No, you are, lforrest was making a point that apparently went right over your head. This type of misandry is not unusual for you, despite your high moral ground here.

The Barrd said:
Me, I'd rather be found fighting on the side of "love one another" than "turn them over to Satan"...
I take after my Father...I am not willing that any should perish.
Then maybe you should take your own advice and stop creating threads like this to condescendingly preach at others.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
StanJ said:
Unless one doesn't have discernment. If all I knew of Christ was the self-righteousness I seeing other people I wouldn't be too impressed either but I tend to overlook that and blame them for their own shortcomings and not God. You know the whole thing about the speck and the log?

I'm amazed at how much self-righteousness one woman can produce! I agree with the fact though that you will have to account for Every Idle Word.

No, you are, lforrest was making a point that apparently went right over your head. This type of misandry is not unusual for you, despite your high moral ground here.

Then maybe you should take your own advice and stop creating threats like this to condescendingly preach at others.
I fully expected this response from Barrd, and my opinion stands. I don't expect that spelling it out further would be beneficial so I will refrain.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I'm not a moderator on this subforum. I suggest making a report asking for it to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.