Does "Cussing"/Profanity Determine a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Darwin

Mar 30, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Paul warns against course language so that's why I do my best to curtail poor language of all types. Not just profanity but suggestive and crude comments and jokes as well. In addition it also serves to help keep your kids out of trouble in school. The work place is also getting tougher on language and everything that is said. So all of this leaves me wanting to be careful of the words I use. I'm perfectly capable of speaking my mind and getting tough points across with out the use of profanity. In the end it's part of our witness. When I was a young man of 24 I was asked by an unbeleiver why I was different than the other Christians he had met. He pointed out that he had never heard me use profanity and never used the threat of him going to hell as a means to share the gospel with him. That was a life lesson right there.

studythebible

Apr 2, 2011
I'm curious to your answers on this one, let me know how you feel and why?

Thanks!

I always like to base my answers direct from the bible so here is a few verses on the subject

Exodus 20:7 “You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave the one unpunished who takes up his name in a worthless way."

Proverbs 4:24 Remove from yourself the crookedness of speech; and the deviousness of lips put far away from yourself.

Romans 14:13 Therefore let us not be judging one another any longer, but rather make this your decision, not to put before a brother a stumbling block or a cause for tripping.

I like to follow Jesus closely so i ask myself: Would Jesus cuss? If Jesus was standing next to me would I use such langauge?
If you saw someone using such language would you think they was a christian? I am proud to say i don't use such language and think i am a better christian for it. :D

What is your opinion?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peters three denials...

Matthew 26:69, 70

Matthew 26:71, 72

Matthew 26:73, 74

Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. - Matthew 26:74

Well that's a way to get them off your back. After they heard him curse and swear they probably thought... No that's not the man... Christs followers don't talk that way!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I don't think that cussing and the use of profanity alone determines whether one is a Christian or not. There are some who don't cuss or use profane words; yet, they commit adultery and do other things that are worse than cussing.

timf

Jan 1, 2011
Does "Cussing"/Profanity Determine a Christian?

If this were true, it would be difficult to think of anyone in the military that was a Christian.

A person might have been raised in home were cussing was part of everyday vocabulary. In this case, a whole lifetime might not be sufficient to shed the habit.

A person may have or still have significant frustration and pain in their life and cussing could be seen as an emotional equivalent of bleeding.

There are people for whom coarse language and filthy talk is an accurate representation of a base and depraved heart and mind. There are also people who take the name of God in vain with every "OMG" they text.

Our pace of life has been quickened which helps distract people from what Satan is doing. It also creates an increasing level of frustration in life and many people use cussing as a way to cope with this increasing frustration.

Cussing is like smoking. Most people don't like it because it makes them feel uncomfortable. A few people don't like it because the person who does it is hurting or being hurt. A few self-appointed "salvation police" will determine who is and isn't saved and make their declarations accordingly.

Thankfully salvation does not depend on our works or is so easily measured that those who would make themselves priests over us would have such a tool at their disposal.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
In James it talks about the large ship being steered by the small rudder.

It talks about the powers and dangers coming from the tongue.

While swearing/cursing may not reflect your relationship with God, it reflect on you.

It shows there are definitely areas in your life you need help taking control of.

This lack of self-discipline also makes it very difficult to take your witness seriously if you are a non-Christian.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
I'm curious to your answers on this one, let me know how you feel and why?

Thanks!

A Spirit filled person will soon discover that doingwhat is sinful even a wrongdoing that is not understood by one as sinful; isnot acceptable to God.

The Holy Spirit has ways to let a person know whenhe or she commits a wrongdoing, and it does not take long for one to becomevery aware of his or her wrongdoings. Then if the person wills it, he or she will be given the grace to stopcommitting the wrongdoing.

(Galatians 5:16) “Let meput it like this if you are guided by the Spirit you will be in no danger ofyielding to self-indulgence....”.

calbhach

Feb 16, 2011
I don't think that cussing/profanity determines a Christian. If we repent of our sins and ask the Lord into our lives...that is the main factor in determining whether you are a Christian or not. :) However, cussing/profanity DOES show a person's spiritual maturity, I think. I know cussing's really hard to get away from...but the Bible DOES tell us not to cuss.

James 3:10 - From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Colossians 3:8 - But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
Matthew 15:11 - It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
James 5:12 - But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.

After we allow Jesus into our hearts and claim to be Christian, we need to live up to Christ's standards, at every point possible. Christ didn't cuss, so we shouldn't either. And if we do, we should try to curb our tongues.

Romans 12:2 - Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Hebrews 10:26 - For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

As Christians, our mindset needs to change. We need to be willing to change to fit Christ's standards, not worldly standards. Cussing is worldly.

Imagine this scenario, too: A Christian and a non-Christian come up to each other and start talking (male or female...doesn't make a bit of difference. Cussing is cussing). If the Christian is talking along, cussing like the non-Christian, and the Christian starts witnessing to the non-Christian about cussing, why would the non-Christian take his word to mean anything?

Non-Christian: Then why do you cuss all the time?

Christian: Oh, well...(No good excuse for that one!)

Non-Christian: ...>.> Yeah, whatever.

Can't witness to someone if they don't think you're living by it...right?

Amazing Grace

Mar 21, 2011
Well if we are not Saved by repenting and receiving Salvation through Chrst and only by what comes out of our mouths there would be many Christians who won't be going to Heaven because you don't need to Cuss to be offensive or hurt some one.

Fire-7

Feb 8, 2011
Funny... I was just thinking of posting the same question.

I would like to know myself.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is interesting that we understand the dangers of misusing the tongue, yet some of us feel oppressed by politically correct language concerns.

Managing the tongue is an issue of self control and therefore, one of the fruits of the Spirit.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Well,

I'm not sure if cussing is a sin or not, but, It probably should be. However, any word could be offensive in certain company, including saying Gosh or Heck.

I don't believe it's the act of cussing or even using cusswords that are the problem. It's the intentions in which the words are used.

Yelling Dammit after you hit your thumb with a hammer is different than saying the F-word.

Certain words describe certian actions and I believe eat into your psyche like acid, burning other thoughts which waken sleeping desires and emotions.

Cuss words almost always describe something vile. Sooner or later your mind will turn to more vile things, then eventually to actions, and even emotional states that aren't conducive to having a joyfull free life.

Cussing a sin? Probably not. Benefitial? Absolutely not. Harmfull, very potentially.

Edited to add....

I forgot to say whether I think it defines a Christian.....

No, I don't believe so. But, in light of others especially non christians, definately. Explaination above.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith determines a Christian.