Does God answer by our casting lot?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not anymore.

Proverbs 16:

33 The lot is cast into the lap,
But its every decision is from the Lord.
The last casting of lots in the Bible happened in Acts 1:

26 they cast lots, and Matthias was selected to become an apostle with the other eleven.
As a result, Matthias replaced Judas, the betrayer. Immediately after that, the Holy Spirit appeared at Pentecost in Acts 2:

1 When the day of Pentecosta came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like a mighty rushing wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw tongues like flames of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Believers were filled with the Spirit.

Jesus promised the Paraclete in John 14:

26 the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
Casting lots is no longer necessary, Acts 13:

2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
See also How to hear God.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not anymore.

Proverbs 16:

As a result, Matthias replaced Judas, the betrayer. Immediately after that, the Holy Spirit appeared at Pentecost in Acts 2:

But if god chooses to answer that way He will!

Reactions: marks

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not anymore.

Proverbs 16:

There is no random chance. There is no luck. Both imply a force beyond God's control, which is, of course, impossible. God is in control of all things at all times. It is all a matter of His will and His plan.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no random chance. There is no luck. Both imply a force beyond God's control, which is, of course, impossible. God is in control of all things at all times. It is all a matter of His will and His plan.
Now that's fact!

Reactions: Jim C

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not anymore.

Proverbs 16:

I would think casting lots would be a last resort.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Ever wonder why the process of selecting the Pope is a secret?

Speculation aside, it is embarrassing when we can't divine the will of God despite having his spirit living inside us.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I've come to see how God might use "randomness" to communicate with us. There was a time in my life I was undergoing some major and dramatic overhaul in my life and I was very weak, physically, mentally, spiritually, and I needed a LOT of help. Some disparage what they call "Bible Roulette", but just the same, there were so very many times over these 2 or 3 years, so many times, when I'd be feeling dejected, disgusted, all manner of ill, and I'd open my Bible to wherever it opened, needing a word from God, and I'd read words that echoed the words in my heart, words that immediately reduced me to tears over how God was so tender with me, so loving.

This was really where I learned so much about God's love for me. Many times I'd open in Isaiah, and read God's tender words of love to Israel, but spoken to me. And God worked power in me through these times.

There came a time when God told me, we're not doing this anymore, I want you to be consciously aware of My Word, and to minister My Word to yourself. You know what I've said.

So I think there are different ways for different times, culturally, or personally. I've learned to not put God in a box.

Much love!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What did I say that you have said? Can you quote my words?
Just scroll up 2 posts. You clipped his words, and made it sound like he said something different.

1713550513074.png

He didn't say we can't divine the will of God, he said it's embarrassing when we can't.

Much love!

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
What did I say that you have said? Can you quote my words?
You said I said "we can't divine the will of God despite having his spirit living inside us." But that leaves out the proceeding "when."

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I also don't subscribe to the use of the term paraclete. You don't see the NT authors referring to the Holy Spirit in this impersonal way. And also in a way that depends on a interpretation of a verse that could just as easily be referring to the spinal cord.

Reactions: Ritajanice

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You said I said "we can't divine the will of God despite having his spirit living inside us." But that leaves out the proceeding "when."
I assume that you knew the context since you wrote it. I did not mean to imply anything about it. Sorry if I had misquoted you.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I've come to see how God might use "randomness" to communicate with us. There was a time in my life I was undergoing some major and dramatic overhaul in my life and I was very weak, physically, mentally, spiritually, and I needed a LOT of help. Some disparage what they call "Bible Roulette", but just the same, there were so very many times over these 2 or 3 years, so many times, when I'd be feeling dejected, disgusted, all manner of ill, and I'd open my Bible to wherever it opened, needing a word from God, and I'd read words that echoed the words in my heart, words that immediately reduced me to tears over how God was so tender with me, so loving.

This was really where I learned so much about God's love for me. Many times I'd open in Isaiah, and read God's tender words of love to Israel, but spoken to me. And God worked power in me through these times.

There came a time when God told me, we're not doing this anymore, I want you to be consciously aware of My Word, and to minister My Word to yourself. You know what I've said.

So I think there are different ways for different times, culturally, or personally. I've learned to not put God in a box.

Much love!
Bible Roulette only seems random bc you are not making the conscious choice to go to a specific book or passage. God still leads you where He wants you to go.

I agree, tho, that God has any number of methods to get our attention and direct us.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Does God answer by our casting lot?​

When we ran across this in one of our Bible studies, our pastor referred to the practice as "rolling God's holy dice".

Which I guess puts a different spin on the term, "holy rollers".