"Does God Have a sense of humor?"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
"Does God Have a sense of humor?" God must show an ability to either perceive, enjoy, or express what is comical or funny if he is to have a sense of humor. The difficulty is that people perceive what is comical or funny differently. I believe that you would agree that much of what the world calls humor is not funny but is crass and crude and should have no part in a Christian’s life (Colossians 3:8). Other humor, such as blonde jokes which I tell but my daughters are blonde so it is with love but are usually told at the expense of others we need be careful of jokes that tear down rather than building up, again something contrary to God’s Word (Colossians 4:6; Ephesians 4:29). But I do believe that God has a sense of humor, but that perhaps too often His sense of humor is not always perceived or appreciated by us.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
To me, the greatest indication of God's humor is in the instant in which the Israelites were using the Ark of the Covenant like a good luck charm in taking it to battle, and the Philistines end up capturing it and placing it in their temple before their idol of Dagon. What happens next? They come into the temple the next day and find Dagon flat on his face before the ark. They set him back up. The next morning, there he is again, but this time he has his hands and head cut off as a symbol of his powerlessness before the God of the ark (1 Samuel 5:1-5). To me, the picture is hilarious!And then you have the illustration that Isaiah makes concerning idolatry in Isaiah 44:9-17. The prophet paints a word picture of a guy cutting down a tree and using part of the tree for firewood to warm himself and cook his meal and then carving up the rest of the tree and bowing down to it! Is it not comical? there is also the instance of Elijah on Mount Carmel with the prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18). He challenges them to a test to see who has the true God. The test is to prepare a sacrifice but to put no fire to it but to let the real God show Himself by lighting the fire from heaven. He lets the prophets of Baal go first. For hours they call on Baal but are getting no response. How does Elijah encourage them? In verse 27, he says, “Hey, boys, you better yell a little louder. Maybe Baal is in the middle of a conversation, or on a journey, or maybe he’s asleep and you need to wake him up!” (my paraphrase). Is this not sarcastic humor?Psalm 2 talks about God laughing at those who would rebel against His kingship (verse 4). It is like the comical picture of a kindergarten-aged child being upset at his parents and running away from home...all the way to his neighbor’s house. But there is obviously a serious side to this as well, and although the picture of weak and silly man trying to match wits with an almighty and all-knowing God is comical, God takes no delight in their waywardness and its consequences but rather desires to see them turn around (Ezekiel 33:11; Matthew 23:37-38). And I believe that it is this serious side of man’s condition that keeps us from seeing more expressions of God’s sense of humor this side of heaven. And this is why I believe that we find so many more expressions of God’s holiness, righteousness, mercy, and grace than of His humor. Even so, God is focused on the lost and is looking for those who will care for their souls as He does. That is why our lives (while having times of refreshing and humor) are nonetheless to be characterized by “soberness” (seriousness about making our lives count for Christ) (1 Thessalonians 5:6,8; Titus 2:2,6).

servant_of_the_end

Jul 15, 2006
Kriss,Good thread. There is much humor found in the words of Jesus as well. The type of humor He used was irony. I read this obscure book that detailed many instances where Jesus said such things and they are humorous once one looks at them in this light. For instance his word pictures of the Pharisees cleaning the outside of the cup and inside it is dirty. Or of the man who puts the lamp under his bed. We all know what would happen. The bed catches fire. Or Jesus telling the Samaritan woman she was a dog, her reply and how she impressed the Lord with her answer. And when He told Peter he was a Rock and then called him Satan. There are others and I would have to refer to the book I have to list the many, many times our Lord used humor to get His point across. Of note: I have told this to many 'stone faced' christians the Lord used humor and they, for the most part, thought this to be uncomprehensible and they were quite offended that I would presume the 'most serious' Lord to have used humor. Just goes to show how many cannot see the very sense of humor God created in us to be found in Him.

gibby

Apr 4, 2006
smile.gif
duck-billed platypus

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
I posted this in another thread, but it goes better herethe bible is full of humor. you just miss it.For example 39] When Joseph and Mary had done everything required by the Law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee to their own town of Nazareth. [40] And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him. [41] Every year his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. [42] When he was twelve years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. [43] After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. [44] Thinking he was in their company, they traveled on for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends. [45] When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. [46] After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. [47] Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. [48] When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you." [49] "Why were you searching for me?" he asked. "Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?" [50] But they did not understand what he was saying to them. [51] Then he went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. [52] And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and menThis story is hilarious. We just always miss the humor. I mean picture one day when Joseph is working as a carpenter when Mary comes up to him.Mary- "um....Joseph" Joseph- "what" Mary- "well you know jesus" Joseph "yeah, our child"Mary- " and the savior of the human race"Joseph- " and the king of kings."Mary- " sort of like the most imporatant person in history"Joseph- "yeah youde think so, knowing that hes god"Mary- "I....uh..."Joseph- " what"Mary- " i sort of lost him"Joseph- " You LOST GOD!!!!!!"yeah, you always miss the humorand then theres the wedding of cannineMary- " hey Jesus, uh could you perform a miracle"Jesus- yeah why not what do you want me to do, split mars in half, move a mountain, blow up the nation of australia, have a tree perform karoke then jump in the ocean"Mary- "I was thinking about something a bit more modest"Jesus- Oh, teleportation, heal the sick, talk in 42 different languages at the same time."Mary-" no not exactly Jesus- " what do you want me to do then!"Mary- " could you change this water into wine."Jesus- " thats it."Mary- " uh yeah."Jesus- "Miller or budweiser"Mary- " i said wine"Your brother in christ Ryan Fitz

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
God definitely has a sense of humor. Consider one of my favorite humorous passages:And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.Glory be to God! Even his "back parts" are glorious, and that's all He was willing to show!
biggrin.gif

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(tim_from_pa;26107)
God definitely has a sense of humor. Consider one of my favorite humorous passages:Glory be to God! Even his "back parts" are glorious, and that's all He was willing to show!
biggrin.gif

I think it is "in your face" hilarious of God to select December 25 as the day Mary conceived Christ.That is a pagan day when Tammuz or one of those mythological gods was supposed to have been born. God used that day in a much better way.So....even though it wasn't the birth of Christ, when we celebrate Christimas we know that it is the day He came to be with us. :shepard:........Whirlwind

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I think it is "in your face" hilarious of God to select December 25 as the day Mary conceived Christ.That is a pagan day when Tammuz or one of those mythological gods was supposed to have been born. God used that day in a much better way.So....even though it wasn't the birth of Christ, when we celebrate Christimas we know that it is the day He came to be with us.........Whirlwind
Agreed. Since I believe he was born in the autumn, at the feast days, he would have been conceived by the Holy Spirit at Christmas time. Even miracle babies take 9 months.
smile.gif

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Wakka;26123)
Jonah being swallowed by a whale sounds pretty funny.
I guess that depends on if you were on the beach or in the water
smile.gif
Did you ever wonder about that whale? Could it have been an underwater craft? .......Whirlwind

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
If you look at some of the animals (and even some people) that God created, it's obvious that He does have a sense of humor.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Jon-Marc;26138)
If you look at some of the animals (and even some people) that God created, it's obvious that He does have a sense of humor.
I think you'll like this video of a camel eating---- I know where you are coming from!(My wife says I eat like this)
biggrin.gif
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu4ClM-NgsI

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
He made me short thats pretty funny if you seen me try to reach a high shelf almost 5'1" if stand on tip toe:)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
I'm not even 5 feet tall. And this is without tip toe. Kriss, you are taller than me.
smile.gif
JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(thesuperjag;26150)
I'm not even 5 feet tall. And this is without tip toe. Kriss, you are taller than me.
smile.gif
Short in body a Giant in heart Jagman:)

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Kriss;26153)
(thesuperjag;26150)
smile.gif
Short in body a Giant in heart Jagman:)Likewise Kriss.
smile.gif

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
For all you who doubt God has a sense of humorThis verse will prove you wrongThese men are not drunk as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning.acts 2:15easily one of my favorite versesYour brother in christ