Does God Know About the Future?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, Isaiah 46:

10 I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.’
Isaiah predicted the name Cyrus more than a century before Cyrus was born.

Isa 44:

7Who then is like Me? Let him say so! Let him declare his case before Me, since I established an ancient people. Let him foretell the things to come, and what is to take place.
Only the one true God can predict the future.

8Do not tremble or fear. Have I not told you and declared it long ago? You are My witnesses! Is there any God but Me? There is no other Rock; I know not one.”
Psalm 139:

4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether
It seems that only the true God knows everything about the future, Isa 41:

21“Present your case,” says the LORD. “Submit your arguments,” says the King of Jacob. 22“Let them come and tell us what will happen. Tell the former things, so that we may reflect on them and know the outcome. Or announce to us what is coming. 23Tell us the things that are to come, so that we may know that you are gods. Yes, do something good or evil, that we may look on together in dismay.
Knowing the future is a test for the true God, John 13:

19 I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he.
God created time and is not bound by it.

Moreover, God even knows the possible future, Matthew 11:

23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day.
God uses his people to prophecy the future, John 16:

13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.
God knows everything. God knows the future.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps God considers every possibility (that which he can not be surprised by) in order to choose which route he will take, when a person decides to choose their actions… he waits for us to make our move. Incorporating him, or not incorporating him.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Molinism ("middle knowledge"): God knew every possible human choice and decision in every possible world. He knows every choice and decision I will make in this world but also knew every choice and decision I would have made in every possible world He might have created ("counterfactuals"). He created this world as the one that would achieve the maximal good consistent with His purposes and plans. It's a hugely influential doctrine that many believe solves some of the key issues in Christianity. William Lane Craig is one high-profile Protestant proponent.

Reactions: Lambano

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Isaiah 46:

Isa 44:

Psalm 139:

Prophecy fulfilled with hair splitting accuracy _ thousands of years after it was uttered _ requires God's sovereign and perfect plan to develop in such a way that the participation of every human is synchronistically ordered ( unbeknownst to us), like the DNA within the sperm and an egg join and divide to create billions of cells, within organs and systems in the body of a fetus _ formed in the womb _ and a baby is born 9 months later. The only difference is His plan is perfect, babies are not.
The fascinating thing is He orchestrates this story while factoring in good and evil events, all our sins, flaws and blunders.
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Rom. 8:28

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One can certainly read the Bible with the "Oh, wow! Gee whiz!" attitude that some seem to think faith requires, but sound biblical scholarship tends to make many of these supposed prophecies substantially less amazing. Regarding Cyrus, see:

Most biblical scholars today believe that Isaiah son of Amotz of Jerusalem, summoned to his mission in 740 BCE, authored the first 39 chapters of the canonized Book of Isaiah. They understand that the remaining chapters were almost certainly written by another prophet, who composed them during or shortly after the lifetime of Cyrus the Great (600 - 530 BCE), and this author is often referred to as Deutero-Isaiah (D.I.). It is accepted that he composed at least chapters 40-55. Some affirm that he wrote the remainder of the book as well; others that a third author, sometimes called Trito-Isaiah (T.I.), wrote chapters 56-66.1 The identity and locale of D.I and T.I., Palestine, Babylonia or elsewhere, remain unknown.​
The oldest manuscript of Isaiah dates to only about 150 years BC.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God Know About the Future?

1 John 3:
[20] For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.

Glory to God,
Taken

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter said to Jesus, "Lord you know ALL THINGS". Yep God knows.

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Molinism ("middle knowledge"): God knew every possible human choice and decision in every possible world. He knows every choice and decision I will make in this world but also knew every choice and decision I would have made in every possible world He might have created ("counterfactuals"). He created this world as the one that would achieve the maximal good consistent with His purposes and plans. It's a hugely influential doctrine that many believe solves some of the key issues in Christianity. William Lane Craig is one high-profile Protestant proponent.
I think... that this view glorifies God far more than some of the simplistic predestination models that get peddled around. Especially if those "counterfactual" universes also exist somewhere and somewhen. The God of all possible universes.

(But I could be wrong, though I should never admit that on an internet forum. Fins to the left, fins to the right...)

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 147:5
5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Isaiah 46:

Isa 44:

Psalm 139:

I think the Lord is a good predictor of the future. I'm not convinced, however, that he knows absolutely what decisions we'll make.