Does "Guilt" get passed down?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been discussing this passage from Romans 5 which a poster believes indicates Adam's "guilt" is passed down to us, his offspring. I think this is a semantics issue, since the idea is that condemnation, judgment, or death is passed down to future generations of mankind from Adam--it is not necessarily Adam's own "guilt" being passed down. Though this seems like splitting hairs, I do think the language needs to be properly understood or God may seem to be judging mankind for sins that another has done! Here was my response....

Do you understand the distinction I've been trying to make between the transfer of Adam's Sin Nature to his offspring and your claim that Adam's "guilt" is imputed to his offspring? I've repeated this regularly, and you don't seem to touch on that point precisely? Are you saying that the "judgment that has come to all men through Adam" is equal to the "guilt" of Adam, as if his "guilt" has been passed onto, or imputed to, all men?

...Here, Paul makes it unmistakably clear that "judgment" has been passed on from Adam's Sin to the sins of all men. But does that necessarily mean that Adam's "guilt" has been passed on from him to his offspring? I don't think so.

In fact, the passage seems to say just the opposite, that Adam's sin is his own, that it is "one man's offense" merely impacting others, not as if it is their offenses too but that his "one offense" has impacted future generations in terms of "judgment."

And I've added to that that Adam's Sin has caused the "Sin Nature" to be transferred on to future generations, a direct cause of this judgment. That is the implication of the passage, that Sin causes death, and that the 1st Sin leads to the Sin Nature in all, leading to their death, as well. So, it really boils down to how we view this verse....

Rom 5.18 Consequently, just as one trespass [and not the trespass of others] resulted in condemnation [and not guilt] for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man [and not the disobedience of all people] the many were made sinners [and received a Sin Nature], so also through the obedience of the one man [and not the obedience of all people] the many will be made righteous.

(The words with the brackets are not part of the quote, but my added comments.) This is why Paul contrasts and distinguishes between Adam and Christ, because in Adam the Sin Nature is transferred because there is collective guilt, primarily because all have their own sins that they are responsible for. But in Christ Righteousness is transferred to others when the merit is exclusively belonging to Christ.

The real question here seems to be: Does the "condemnation" or judgment for all people, which has been passed down to them from Adam, mean that "guilt" has been transferred or imputed upon all people from Adam to his offspring? I don't think so. This is what separates the effect of Adam's sin from the effect of Christ's righteousness--all men are held accountable for their own sins, whereas in Christ the sins of all men are not being held to account.

I think that the judgment that has come down upon all of mankind as a result of Adam's Sin indicates that condemnation has come down upon Adam's offspring as a result of their own sins, but not judgment for the one sin of Adam. It appears to be a semantics issue.

One man's own guilt has resulted in the guilt that exclusively belongs to others who have inherited a like sinful nature. Each is responsible for his own sin. Guilt belongs only to those who themselves commit sins.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was also argued that guilt is indeed passed from Adam's Sin to all of Mankind because of the "parallel track" Paul presented between Adam and Christ in Romans 5. It was argued that Adam's Sin is passed down to mankind in the same way that Christ's righteousness is passed down to believers, by "imputation." But "guilt" not being "imputed" to Adam's offspring in the same way Christ's righteous record is imputed to his followers. Here was my response:

Paul makes a point of stating that there are differences...

Rom 5.15 But the gift is not like the trespass.

....For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! 16 Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 17 For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

Paul is going to lengths to explain that though there is a parallel track here between Adam's Sin and Christ's Justification, they are *not* the same! They are to be clearly distinguished. And you are not recognizing that.

One man's guilt for breaking a specific command does not translate into the guilt of many for breaking that one man's trespass. Rather, one man's trespass against a specific command caused his Sin Nature to be transferred to others so that when they manifest their own sins, their own sins lead to death.

As such, it can be said that Adam's Sin led to the judgment of all men, but not that all share equal blame. It is only because all bear Adam's Sin Nature that they display their own Sin and guilt. All inherit Adam's Sin Nature, and in displaying their own sins they bear their own guilt.

And so, it can be said that Adam's own Sin led to the condemnation of all men, not because they committed his sin, but only because in inheriting his nature they unavoidably committed their own sins.

The big difference between Adam's impact upon mankind and Christ's impact upon mankind is, as Paul said, due to the difference between the transference of Adam's Sin Nature and the impartation of Christ's grace. Guilt is *not* imparted from Adam to his offspring, though the Sin Nature is. But in Christ's case, Christ's own righteousness is being imparted to others, transferring to them a new nature, but one that they are not being held responsible for earning.

The Law requires that men earn their own fate, and this ends up in universal condemnation. The Grace of Christ does not require that men earn their own fate with the exception that they have to agree to have Christ's flawless righteousness imputed to them by the free gift of his Spirit to us.