Does Jesus give people a 2nd chance after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My beliefs: yes, there is a chance after death, particularly for those who never had a first chance to accept Christ because they lived in a time/place where His words were not preached.

Would be nice to see scripture confirming that.
But since you'r not a sola Biblia person it does not matter I guess.

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Read post number 1 and you would know what this is all about.

I meant it rhetorically. God is fully able to ascertain who we are in the time allotted to us. We are here to be examined by God....to see if we are capable of fulfilling His expectations for someone who lives forever.

Reactions: faithfulness

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A second chance at what? We will be judged by our deeds not by our beliefs or who we say we put our trust in. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

We are judged by our works? What about the dishonorable vessels?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I did not say anything about being weird.
I only asked because I have heard they pray for dead people.
(And yes.....I think that is weird. ;-)
LOL
They pray for the dead people in purgatory. It's supposed to get them out sooner.
They also pray to dead people that have been made saints.
Before someone is declared a saint, they have to have 3 miracles to their credit.
So they figure if someone could do 3 miracles they must have an in with God...
so they pray to them. Many pray to Padre Pio, for instance...to St. Anthony, St. Francis, St. Gemma is very liked here...and a whole gammet of others.

They also talk to their dead people...
First of all how do they know they're in either heaven or purgatory?
Second, how do they know they can hear?
Je ne sais pas.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you
Good answers

I particularly have an issue with 1 Peter 3:18-20;
People want to tell you what Jesus preached but the Bible doesn't say.

"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;" I Peter 3:18-19

Jesus preached to the "spirits in prison" for 3½ years as he walked the land of Israel 2000 years ago. He preached to all of those people and we are able to read much of what he preached when we read the 4 gospels. Are not those gospels part of what we call the Bible? This was not a second chance. For those who walked in the flesh then it was their change. Our chance is now.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All vessels. What we do every day either is preparing us for that day...or lulling us into a false confidence.

As Jesus said...watch and pray.

Why “take your rest” then. Mark 14:41 “And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.”

We all hear or read something different in scripture o_O.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where in scripture does it tell of the three groups He proclaimed victory to? Thank you.
Hades: the righteous and unrighteous dead -- Luke 16:19-31
Tartarus: the angels which kept not their first estate -- 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 1:6 [Note: Tartarus is also translated as "hell"]
Christ in Hades: Matthew 12:39,40
Christ's proclamation in Hades: 1 Pet 3:18,19

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thank you
Good answers

I particularly have an issue with 1 Peter 3:18-20;
People want to tell you what Jesus preached but the Bible doesn't say.
I don't believe anyone knows what Peter was referring to.
The only statement I ever heard about this is that humans are not referred to as "spirits" in the bible. But what could that mean?

Does it mean the fallen angels? Did Jesus go to proclaim to them that death was won? But then why would the bible speak of the time of Noah? The angels fell before Noah.

It's a mystery I think.

1 Peter 3:18-22
18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
19in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison,
20who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.
21Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you—not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,
22who is at the right hand of God, having gone into heaven, after angels and authorities and powers had been subjected to Him.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus preached to the "spirits in prison" for 3½ years as he walked the land of Israel 2000 years ago.
Except that the context makes it clear that Christ preached to the spirits in prison AFTER His crucifixion and before His resurrection.

For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh [crucified], but quickened by the Spirit [entered Hades]: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison...

But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth [Hades]. (Mt 12:39,40)

He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell [Hades], neither his flesh did see corruption.
This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
(Acts 2:31,32)

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hades: the righteous and unrighteous dead -- Luke 16:19-31
Tartarus: the angels which kept not their first estate -- 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 1:6 [Note: Tartarus is also translated as "hell"]
Christ in Hades: Matthew 12:39,40
Christ's proclamation in Hades: 1 Pet 3:18,19
In Luke those lost are already in "hell" where they belong.
The righteous and faithful in God from before Jesus died are in Abraham's Bossom.
They were released into heaven because the resurrection opened heaven's gate.

I don't believe the "prisoners" in 1 Peter 3:18 are the people in Luke 15, Abraham's Bossom, but I have no reply to offer.

Maybe 1 Peter 3 is speaking of the fallen angels? That doesn't seem right either however.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't believe the "prisoners" in 1 Peter 3:18 are the people in Luke 15, Abraham's Bossom, but I have no reply to offer.
In order to understand why Hades was also a prison for the righteous dead, you must study Sheol (the Hebrew term for Hades) and see that Sheol confined the righteous dead until the resurrection of Christ.

For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave [Sheol] who shall give thee thanks? (Psa 6:5)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
In order to understand why Hades was also a prison for the righteous dead, you must study Sheol (the Hebrew term for Hades) and see that Sheol confined the righteous dead until the resurrection of Christ.

For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave [Sheol] who shall give thee thanks? (Psa 6:5)
That's what I said !!

Sheol/Hades is Luke 15....

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why “take your rest” then. Mark 14:41 “And he cometh the third time, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: it is enough, the hour is come; behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.”

We all hear or read something different in scripture o_O.

It was too late IOW. The time to watch and pray is before the hour. After the horse is gone....there's no more need to shut the barn door.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was too late IOW. The time to watch and pray is before the hour. After the horse is gone....there's no more need to shut the barn door.

He said “It is enough.” I’m sorry but if you are suggesting we work for salvation and we have something to prove to God...I don’t buy it. There is only one proof and that is whether the Spirit of God is there as a seal or not. But that is another topic and not for this thread. Thank you, Episkopos.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He said “It is enough.” I’m sorry but if you are suggesting we work for salvation and we have something to prove to God...I don’t buy it. There is only one proof and that is whether the Spirit of God is there as a seal or not. But that is another topic and not for this thread. Thank you, Episkopos.

We do have something to prove to the angels who we will be ruling over. God already knows what we will do. Look at what the angel said to Abraham...NOW I see ....

We are living this life before innumerable witnesses. We must be approved of them.

11But the Angel of the Lord called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!”
So he said, “Here I am.”
12And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

Angels don't understand faith. Just like a lot of people. They must see the works of faith....

The culture of today is not able to comprehend sound doctrine anymore.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The culture of today is not able to comprehend sound doctrine anymore.

1 John 2:27
[27] But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

It is either true or it is not.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 John 2:27
[27] But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

It is either true or it is not.

You must also abide in Him...as it says. Most people don't bother trying to enter into Christ. They think they don't need to being saved and all....

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are people waking around right now that are dead.

You are speaking of Physically Alive men, spiritually separated from God.

I was speaking of Physicaly Dead men, VOID of "their LIFE", which is "their" BLOOD.

The life is in the blood of Christ.

You are speaking of Christ's Blood.

I was speaking of Mankinds Blood.

We are not speaking of the SAME THINGS.

God Bless,
Taken