Does Jesus give people a 2nd chance after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, there are NO second chances after death: And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.. (Heb 9:27). The narrative (not parable) of the Rich Man and Lazarus confirms this. And every exhortation to preach the Gospel to every creature also confirms this.

As to Christ *preaching* to the Spirits in prison (1 Pet 3:18-20) that Greek word kerux essentially means "proclaiming". But what did Christ proclaim to the spirits in Hades? Since it could not be an offer to be saved (a second chance) Christ was proclaiming His victory at the Cross. There were three groups of spirits in the netherworld: (1) the righteous dead, (2) the unsaved dead, and (3) the evil angels in Tartarus (outside of Hades). They all heard that proclamation.

HEBREWS 2
14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

So Christ's proclamation would have been that He had destroyed the power of sin, death, Hades, Hell, and Satan through His sacrifice on the Cross.
Excellent response.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I meant it rhetorically. God is fully able to ascertain who we are in the time allotted to us. We are here to be examined by God....to see if we are capable of fulfilling His expectations for someone who lives forever.
Bible Hub
Romans 1:20;
"For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, that shall come to pass.
The "things" under the earth, ARE dead body's who rejected Christ, while in their own Blood Life, and shall confess Christ, VIA the life of the Living soul, imparted into their bodies.
All souls belong to God.
All Life belongs to God.
Yes, the "thing" under the earth, with the Lords SOUL and Lords LIFE in the SOUL shall confess Jesus Christ is Lord....
Which is NOT a confession unto Salvation.

God Bless,
Taken
I don't know why you call it a blood life. you are a person who is not of the Holy Spirit or you are not, so while breathing you are alive and living but you may not be Spiritually alive in the Holy Spirit, so one that is breathing does not mean they are alive and one with the Holy Spirit abiding in the salvation of the Lord.

I have heard some make a big deal about the blood and keep ranting on about it, but the blood means nothing at all, it's the Holy Spirit that is the true life force not the blood, the blood is carnal, yes it keeps the body alive but it's not the Holy Spirit, so they rant about the blood of Jesus well so what about his blood, he is the Holy Spirit so his natural blood means jack, we have idiots that rant about rubbish like oh we are looking for the cup that they drank from or some fool has his actual blood in a jar, now if one did have such things they would be worthless to the Holy Spirit.
The blood has it's place with Vampires and what they do is drain the life force out of your body or pollute ones mind corrupting you brainwashing tec making one a zombie, rip for the picking of Satan leading them astray.
So I say one has to be careful of talking about the blood, so as not to mislead.

I have a mate that rants about the blood of Jesus thinking that it's all about what Jesus did 2000 years ago and that you just believe that he did that work and it's finished and does not believe truly in the Holy Spirit because he is carnal and todays dispensation is all about killing anyone who does not support the Zionist Jews, Jesus is finished and the Zionist Jew must rule the world now and kill everyone that opposes them, it's all about the new so called Jesus of mans works, he will rule with an iron rod.

This God of the Talmud Zionist is Satan, they lead the whole world astray and bastardise Jesus Christ and make out that Jesus left us, no Jesus is with us always but one must be Born Again to know that's a fact, now old mate says he can make one saved by just making another say after him words and he claims to of saved them, but the fact of the matter is that no one but Jesus can save anyone.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny.

It is appointed for man to die once, and then comes the judgement.
Hebrews 9:27

So if we are dead in Christ, then comes judgement? So we are already judged? Colossians 2:20 “Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,”

Colossians 3:3
[3] For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Kind of late after they died.
Are there Souls dead ?

If you believe the soul is dead then you are not a Christian.

When the Souls body dies the Soul lives on for ever and that soul will look back and see that it was not in tune with the Lords Salvation and will be in turmoil because it would of been better to of tie a mill stone around ones neck etc.
But the one who knew his master will be glad that he served him well and cherished the children and all, being a guiding light to them for them to welcome Jesus into there lives, so they will have his life in them.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So if we are dead in Christ, then comes judgement? So we are already judged? Colossians 2:20 “Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,”

It's 1 am here and I'm logging off...
BUT, I don't quite understand what the above has to do with our being judged after we die...

Could you expound?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ground rules:
Jesus was the God of the Old Testament (go on, please ask me to prove it) and He took on two natures when He came to us. He then became 100% man and 100% God. Don't try to explain it, just accept it. If you try to explain it, you'll lose your mind, but if you refuse to believe it, you'll lose your soul.

The "man" Jesus died as all men die and ceased to be, while the Divine Jesus did not because God cannot die. He resurrected 3 days later and is alive forevermore, praise God. OK, with that said:

#1 "...spirits in prison..."
If you read the context of 1 Peter 3, Peter is saying just as the Spirit convicts us of sin and "quickens" all who surrender their hearts to Him, it was the same Spirit through which Jesus - the God of the Old Testament - did "strive with man". He preached the warning to the Antedeluvians who were in the "prison house of sin", and by that same Spirit were Noah and his family saved. The Bible over and over depicts sinners as the devil's prisoners. That's what Peter is saying.

#2 "...preached to them that are dead..."
I once gave a birthday card to a man that is dead. Does that mean I gave it to him after he died? No, I gave it to him while he was alive in the past and presently he has since died. 1 Peter 4:6 is simply saying that the Spirit has preached to all humanity from Adam to our day, and Peter is saying they that "live in according to God in the Spirit" will be judged - and found without guilt before God, obviously.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Are there Souls dead ?

If you believe the soul is dead then you are not a Christian.

When the Souls body dies the Soul lives on for ever and that soul will look back and see that it was not in tune with the Lords Salvation and will be in turmoil because it would of been better to of tie a mill stone around ones neck etc.
But the one who knew his master will be glad that he served him well and cherished the children and all, being a guiding light to them for them to welcome Jesus into there lives, so they will have his life in them.
The soul never dies...you've brought this up before.
When people say "the dead" they mean dead to THIS life and then immediately comes the afterlife.

I've never met anyone who believes in soul sleep or the soul dying.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's a good one, what's the answer?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, interesting...never looked at these verses in any other light than His 2nd coming and/or the "rapture". Food for my thoughts ty :)
This is a difficult subject. But time is an illusion, and the interface from time to eternity is a matter of us coming to God...which is the second coming, "that where He is, there we might be also."

But very interestingly, that time vs. eternity interface or equation, means we all leave "each in his own order", but all arrive...together!

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
My beliefs: yes, there is a chance after death, particularly for those who never had a first chance to accept Christ because they lived in a time/place where His words were not preached.

Now, I'm not going to try to convince anyone else of this because that's not my style. I'm also not a sola Biblia person.
I won't debate this either but I would like to understand how you could believe this.

If someone dies, and then wakes up again and sees Jesus in front of them giving them the message of the gospel..what would be the possible reason for that person saying NO!

Wouldn't they have to be crazy? I mean, it's apparent at that point that God is real.

And do you believe this for EVERYONE (even agnostics or atheists) or just for those who NEVER heard about Jesus?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I won't debate this either but I would like to understand how you could believe this.

If someone dies, and then wakes up again and sees Jesus in front of them giving them the message of the gospel..what would be the possible reason for that person saying NO!

Wouldn't they have to be crazy? I mean, it's apparent at that point that God is real.

And do you believe this for EVERYONE (even agnostics or atheists) or just for those who NEVER heard about Jesus?
EVERYone gets a second chance. God is merciful and just.

I'm feeling lazy right now, so rather than explain things in my own words/thoughts I'll just provide a link Chapter 41: The Postmortal Spirit World

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a difficult subject. But time is an illusion, and the interface from time to eternity is a matter of us coming to God...which is the second coming, "that where He is, there we might be also."

But very interestingly, that time vs. eternity interface or equation, means we all leave "each in his own order", but all arrive...together!
Yes, it is very tough to wrap my mind around time vs eternity. Who can know Him?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think @GodsGrace is talking about when we die, physically here on earth? As long as we have breath in us on this earth, we can call upon the name of Jesus. If we do not choose this day whom you will serve (God or Satan) while you are able to once you die, physically. The judgement will happen only when all the sheep and goats, who have died from the beginning of time, are standing before His judgement seat...remember time vs eternity...just because I might die tonight does not mean I will be in front of His judgement seat tomorrow...it just means that God will raise all people up on that day and, despite WHEN one dies on earth, everybody will be there at the same time.

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel this is a much debated subject.
People like to read more into Scripture than what is there.
I've read of pastors who believe Jesus gives everyone a 2nd chance after death because he doesn't want anyone to go to hell.
some believe that when Jesus went to hell, he preached the Gospel and gave everyone from old a 2nd chance.
But the Bible doesn't say that.
Or does it.
Anyone have anything to say about this?

Hebrews 9 "It is appointed unto man ONCE to die and then comes the judgment" --
No such thing as "change your mind after you die"

Satan tell Eve "no, no that is all wrong - God is too loving to do that... don't worry"