Does Jesus have an eternal existence?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That's a loaded question because the label "Jesus" is a loaded label. The answer depends on your meaning of the term Jesus when you ask the question.

John 1:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
For precision, let's label this entity Word-Jesus. Now, by definition, Word-Jesus is eternal because Word-Jesus was God.

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Paul put it this way, Colossians 1:

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16a For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible
Jesus put it this way, John 17:

5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

If by "Jesus", you mean the physical body of Jesus from Mary's womb, then no.

If by "Jesus", you mean Word-Jesus, then yes.

Reactions: amadeus

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a loaded question because the label "Jesus" is a loaded label. The answer depends on your meaning of the term Jesus when you ask the question.

John 1:

For precision, let's label this entity Word-Jesus. Now, by definition, Word-Jesus is eternal because Word-Jesus was God.

Yes, that's precisely how I see it. As a man Jesus certainly did not have an eternal existence. But Jesus was more than a man--he was also the Word made flesh, or Deity.

Since many do not see this clearly, I'll say this. One has to understand what is meant by "the Word." It is God's ability to verbalize Himself and the things He creates. And so, in becoming a Man, He revealed Himself as a man through the agency of His Word.

Some people try to divide up Jesus' dual personality as God and as Man by distinguishing between his spirit and his body. But that doesn't work. Both Jesus' human spirit and his human body were expressions of God's Word, or self-revelation.

Granted, the body and the spirit can be separated at death. However, even the transient, mortal nature of Jesus' body expressed Deity in human flesh. He was all God, spirit, soul, and body. His transient, mortal being was an expression of who he was before he became a man, namely God.

So we identify Jesus with God's Word, to distinguish between His existence as Deity before he became a man and his finite created expression as a man. Jesus was the Word of God made flesh, God in his pre-existence, and now God manifest as a human.

The Word is what brought God into existence on a finite plane as Man, whereas God also exists on an eternal plane before creating anything through His Word. 1st God, and then what the eternal God brings into existence through His Word, including His self-expression in Jesus.

We cannot properly or adequately express the beauty of an infinite God placing Himself within our own finite environment to live with us. He is with us as infinite Deity, touches us within our finite sphere through the Spirit, and is manifest among us as Jesus. Beautiful!

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 1:

I believe Jesus, who I believe is God in flesh, has an eternal existence.