Does John 5:24-29 contradict the belief that one must believe in Jesus to avoid eternal death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you claim was altered?
(better be ready for "the definite article is definitely there" argument)
God who wrote the bible through righteous men, put his name in his bible over 7000 places because he wants it there. By satans will, wicked men who had no right, removed Gods name and replaced it with titles. Every spot OT=GOD or LORD all capitols, nearly 6800. Over 200 spots NT where the OT is quoted and the name belongs.
The New world translation translators out of love and respect for Gods will put his name back in those spots. Every trinity clergy and their scholars condemned the NWT. Why? Using altered translations is supporting satan's will over Gods will. I guess that is why the bible refers to those as blind guides.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't correct the bible. God did. The blind living by the altered versions missed it.
You obviously avoid simple questions that you don't want to answer. You're deceiving yourself.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The greatest weapon of satan used to deceive is " slight of" whether by word, words or deflection !
An illusion of being in God's righteousness, yet walking by the decrees of man.
If their foundation is sinking sand, then they will not stand, regardless how many years they have been unified as a sect, or denom, or church, or group or whatever those that say they are of God, but are not !

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 5:24-29 esv

24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

In verse 24 Jesus says that believers have "eternal" life.

In verse 29 Jesus says those resurrected who did "good" will have life. Notice Jesus said nothing about faith or belief.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm gleaning that believers in Jesus go straight to Heaven. Unbelievers are DEAD in the ground until their resurrection on the last day but those unbelievers that were nevertheless Godly people will remain among the living forever.
What is good?
Luke 18
18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

There one master of the covenants.
Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is good?
Luke 18
18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
19And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

There one master of the covenants.
Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
Not sure if you meant that as a confirmation, or rebuttal, to the @Patrick1966 post you quoted. ???
Seems you added another facet to the contradiction.

In Luke, Jesus says, "none is good" and in John Jesus says,
"those who have done good to the resurrection of life".
Which is it?

29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life,
and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not sure if you meant that as a confirmation, or rebuttal, to the @Patrick1966 post you quoted. ???
Seems you added another facet to the contradiction.

In Luke, Jesus says, "none is good" and in John Jesus says,
"those who have done good to the resurrection of life".
Which is it?

29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life,
and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.
Hello Steven,
It is objective morality. There is no Good except by God. There are 2 commandments hence 2 masters, a) love God and b) love man. If I adhere to (b) would I achieve (a) - not necessarily. If I strive for (a) can I achieve (b) - yes because (b) is a subset of (a).
In Luke "none is good" - premise (a)
in John "those who have done good to the resurrection of life".
Which is it? - premise (b) is a subset of (a)

To occupy (b) only implies (a) is not fulfilled. To fulfill (a) fully implies (b) is fulfilled

Reactions: St. SteVen

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:24-29 esv

24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

In verse 24 Jesus says that believers have "eternal" life.

In verse 29 Jesus says those resurrected who did "good" will have life. Notice Jesus said nothing about faith or belief.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm gleaning that believers in Jesus go straight to Heaven. Unbelievers are DEAD in the ground until their resurrection on the last day but those unbelievers that were nevertheless Godly people will remain among the living forever.
Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Still there Patrick.