Does John 5:24-29 contradict the belief that one must believe in Jesus to avoid eternal death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:24-29 esv

24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

In verse 24 Jesus says that believers have "eternal" life.

In verse 29 Jesus says those resurrected who did "good" will have life. Notice Jesus said nothing about faith or belief.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm gleaning that believers in Jesus go straight to Heaven. Unbelievers are DEAD in the ground until their resurrection on the last day but those unbelievers that were nevertheless Godly people will remain among the living forever.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
unbelievers that were nevertheless Godly people
I'm assuming they are considered Godly because they observe a moral code and do good works, but neither of these give access to heaven and eternal life.

Romans 5:1-2 (STANDING)

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Titus 2:11- 14 (STATE)

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

The Grace of God:
1. Brings salvation.
2. Has appeared to all men.
3. Teaches us:
a. Deny
Ungodliness
Worldly lusts
b. Live
Soberly
Righteously
Godly
c. Look
For that blessed hope
For the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm assuming they are considered Godly because they observe a moral code and do good works, but neither of these give access to heaven and eternal life.

Are you sure?

29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of LIFE, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Are you sure?

29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of LIFE, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.
Trusting in works for salvation is evil. Faith without works is dead, but works without faith is iniquity.

Mat 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. (22) Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' (23) And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of iniquity!'

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trusting in works for salvation is evil. Faith without works is dead, but works without faith is iniquity.

Mat 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. (22) Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' (23) And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of iniquity!'

So then what happens to those resurrected who had done good?

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 5:24-29 esv

24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

25 “Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

In verse 24 Jesus says that believers have "eternal" life.

In verse 29 Jesus says those resurrected who did "good" will have life. Notice Jesus said nothing about faith or belief.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm gleaning that believers in Jesus go straight to Heaven. Unbelievers are DEAD in the ground until their resurrection on the last day but those unbelievers that were nevertheless Godly people will remain among the living forever.
he who believes is not condemned, He who does not believe are condemned already

He who believes do have eternal life

in the same token. he who believes will do good (a byproduct of true living faith)

so both are true

Reactions: mailmandan

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is actually a bit ambiguous on that point, if not out-and-out self-contradictory, but very few people here are willing to concede that. The predominant narrative Jesus preached and Paul wrote about is that EVERYBODY, good and evil alike, are DEAD in the ground until the Resurrection on the Last Day. The Tribulation Martyrs are the exception, staying under God's throne in their white robes until the Resurrection. The parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man MAY (and I emphasize "MAY") point to a pre-Resurrection experience, as does "Today you will be with me in Paradise" and "To be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord".

But again, very few here are willing to concede that the Bible may have contradictions. There. I said it.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is actually a bit ambiguous on that point, if not out-and-out self-contradictory, but very few people here are willing to concede that. The predominant narrative Jesus preached and Paul wrote about is that EVERYBODY, good and evil alike, are DEAD in the ground until the Resurrection on the Last Day. The Tribulation Martyrs are the exception, staying under God's throne in their white robes until the Resurrection. The parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man may point to a pre-Resurrection experience, as does "Today you will be with me in Paradise" and "To be absent from this body is to be present with the Lord" MAY (and I emphasize "MAY") also point to a pre-Resurrection experience.

But again, very few here are willing to concede that the Bible may have contradictions. There. I said it.

For many reasons I believe that the Godly go immediately to Heaven, but that's for another thread.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe God only wants his flock to rule on Earth with Jesus, perhaps as a demonstration on how Godly people living under the rule thrive so amazingly. I don't know, of course. I know many here don't believe in milennial rule and, to be honest, I don't know which to believe.

9Hj.gif

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about a mistranslation? Do those exist in any English translations?
That's a different issue. And yes, there are some errors relative to translations and where they may have been derived from, but the actual scriptures don't contradict one another.

Last edited:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not keep it simple. Those who did "good" obeyed the Gospel and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. There are no contradictions in Scripture.

Sure, it can be interpreted that way but the verse stands out to me because it doesn't say anything about faith. It's different and peculiar for me.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

John's verses are speaking of Jesus as "Eternal life".

John is speaking "spiritual", vs, teaching.

When He says....>"done good", vs" "done evil"....... he's not talking about behavior, as John knows that "God is no respecter of persons" and "All have sinned".

So, these verses that are dealing with eternal life, presume that the reader understands that Eternal life is Jesus Himself.

So, to have Eternal Life, is to be joined spiritually to the ONE who IS Eternal Life, or as John says...>"the resurrection OF Life".
This is Christ, Himself who said I AM = "THE Resurrection and THE Life".....
So, when we are born again, we are joined to "THE Resurrection and THE Life".... and this is to have "done good".
This proves that you do not have an "EVIL HEART OF Unbelief".

See that? So, if you are born again, you have not committed that EVIL....... as that evil is unpardonable and is the sin that will follow you after you die, if you die having an "EVIL heart, of Unbelief".

See, in Heaven, at the GWThrone Judgment,
those who are guilty are not sentenced for "sins"......
They are instead DAMNED for their "evil heart of Unbelief", as that is the "unpardonable sin".
Its the ONLY SIN that damns you, even before you are dead.

See it here...

John 3:36

"""""He who believes and trusts in the Son and accepts Him [as Savior] has eternal life [that is, already possesses it]; but he who does not believe the Son and chooses to reject Him, [disobeying Him and denying Him as Savior] will not see [eternal] life, but [instead] the wrath of God hangs over him continually.”'""

See that "continually"?

that is "for eternity".......that is "damnation"......that is "going to hell,, and then the lake of fire"........that is the "2nd Death"

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree but that's for another thread.
You can disagree all you like, but God does not contradict himself.

And your answer to your original question is in the verses you cited. Verse 24 provides the answer.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

25Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. 26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; 27And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man. 28Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, 29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.