Does Revelation 11:18 mean us?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

DO YOU want to see the most dangerous creature in the world? Then look in a mirror! Yes, we, mankind, are earth’s worst predator! We even kill each other on a massive scale.

To make the earth safe for wildlife, even in zoos—especially if they become a final refuge—war, mankind’s plague, must be eliminated. Only 91 of the Berlin Zoo’s 12,000 animals survived World War II. Many other zoos suffered similarly. In the war in the Balkans, courageous zoo staff evacuated many animals to safety; but hundreds of others, including deer, big cats, bears, and wolves, were killed. In the jungles of Cambodia, according to officials quoted in the newspaper The Australian, the Khmer Rouge have deliberately slaughtered many rare animals. Why? To exchange their skins and other products for weapons!

Ecological vandalism, such as that perpetrated on the isolated Peron Islands, southwest of Darwin, Australia, is another evil to be conquered if animals are to be safe—inside or outside zoos. Twice in three years, the pelican rookery on these islands has been torched, apparently for no reason other than to kill, in a most cruel way, thousands of young birds that did not yet fly.

In recent decades, however, the greatest loss of species is not borne of malice; it is the side effect of a burgeoning human population desperate for space to live in and land to cultivate. Because of this relentless encroachment on animal habitats and the accompanying pollution, The World Zoo Conservation Strategy warns: “The outlook for the 21st century for the earth’s entire natural system is bleak. There is nothing to indicate that the destruction occurring in practically all parts of the world will soon cease.”

In view of the growing concern about earth’s future, a time when the whole planet will be a sanctuary may sound just too fantastic. Yet, that hope is solidly founded, not on short-sighted humans—who as little as 50 years ago, according to one science writer, had no idea of the present ecological devastation—but on the one who did foresee it, YHWH God. Over nineteen hundred years ago, he foretold that mankind, in our time, would be caught in the act of “ruining the earth.” (Revelation 11:18) Spoken when the earth was scantily populated by humans, that prophecy may have seemed like fantasy to many living then, but how accurate it has proved to be!

This ruining is occurring at a time when science and technology seem capable of little short of miracles: microtransmitters and satellites keep tabs on endangered species, rain-forest destruction is measured by the square meter from outer space, and air pollution is measured in parts per million. Yet, with rare exceptions, man seems incapable of acting on this mountain of data. Perhaps man is like the driver of a runaway train. He has a console crammed with electronic wizardry and monitors telling him everything that is happening, but he cannot stop the train!

Imagine that in a large factory, the proud, unprincipled manager overhears the owner say that he will not be promoted but, rather, that he will be dismissed in a few months. Embittered and spiteful, he uses lies, bribes, and all sorts of underhanded tricks to get a number of workers to create havoc. They cause machines to fail, production to slow, and products to be faulty—yet in such a clever way as to avoid blame. Meantime, honest employees, oblivious to what is really going on, try to make repairs; but the harder they try, the worse things get.

This world’s crooked “manager” has schemed similarly against mankind and the earth. But in this instance we need not remain “ignorant of his designs,” for the Bible tears away his cover and reveals an embittered spirit creature—Satan the Devil—an angel who became a megalomaniac and craved to be worshiped. (2 Corinthians 2:11; 4:4) God threw him out of His heavenly family and sentenced him to destruction.(Genesis 3:15; Romans 16:20)

Like the crooked factory manager, this “father of the lie” also employs an arsenal of underhanded methods to vent his anger. He hates YHWH God and wants to wreck His creation. (John 8:44) Satan’s most potent tools are lying propaganda, greed, materialism, and hurtful religious teachings. With these he has ‘misled the entire inhabited earth’ and turned humans—earth’s intended custodians—into its most ruthless predators, in effect, disciples of ancient Nimrod, “a mighty hunter in opposition to YHWH.” (Revelation 12:9, 12; Genesis 1:28; 10:9)

However, victory over human and superhuman forces of extinction is not impossible. The almighty Creator of all living things can lift us from this terrible vortex, and this he has promised to do by means of his heavenly government. He promises to bring to ruin those predators who are ruining the earth. We pray for this when we say: “Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.”(Matthew 6:9, 10; Revelation 11:18)

Did you notice that the Kingdom’s coming is linked to God’s will being done on earth? This is because God’s Kingdom is God’s government over the earth. And being a kingdom, it has a king—Jesus Christ, the “King of kings and Lord of lords.” (Revelation 19:16) It also has subjects. In fact, Jesus said: “Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth.” (Matthew 5:5) Yes, these mild-tempered ones are its earthly subjects, and with the help of God’s Kingdom, they will lovingly care for their inheritance, turning it into a thriving paradise bursting with life. Interestingly, Strategy states: “The future of human beings and nature is only ensured if the whole of humankind can live in a new harmony with nature.”

History and imperfect human nature bespeak the impossibility of the “whole of humankind” today ever living in such a “new harmony” with nature, for they leave YHWH God out of the picture. In fact, to prove the futility of human self-rule is one reason why God has allowed this world to go on for so long. But soon, those who yearn for Christ’s rulership will enjoy exquisite peace. Isaiah 11:9 confirms this, and it also points to the reason why these alone will be able to live in a “new harmony” with nature: “They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of YHWH as the waters are covering the very sea.” Yes, divine education is the key. And is that not reasonable, for who else but nature’s Author has such wisdom?

What about those who persist in ignoring Jehovah? “As regards the wicked, they will be cut off from the very earth,” says Proverbs 2:22. Yes, their belligerence or their apathy will cost them their lives in the fast-approaching “great tribulation”—God’s means of meting out justice to all who persist in selfishly exploiting and vandalizing his creation.—Revelation 7:14; 11:18.

Do you want to share in earth’s rehabilitation program? Then please learn what God requires of you by studying the Bible. It alone has the power to attune your thinking to the Creator’s. (2 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 4:12) Additionally, by applying what you learn, not only will you become a better citizen now but you will also prove that you are indeed the kind of person to whom Jehovah will entrust his fast-approaching “new earth.”—2 Peter 3:13.

Reactions: Taken and Dropship

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who exactly are "those who destroy the earth" bearing in mind that our generation is certainly the filthiest polluting generation that there's ever been-
"The nations were angry, and your wrath has come.
The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your people who revere your name,
both great and small, and for destroying those who destroy the earth.” (Revelation 11:18 NIV)
It is we who are destroying the Earth, no one else.

Reactions: Taken

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
DO YOU want to see the most dangerous creature in the world? Then look in a mirror! Yes, we, mankind, are earth’s worst predator! We even kill each other on a massive scale...
..Do you want to share in earth’s rehabilitation program? Then please learn what God requires of you by studying the Bible. It alone has the power to attune your thinking to the Creator’s...

Well I've never owned or wanted a stinking car so maybe I'm on the right track..:)

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My translation says: and all those who have caused destruction on earth.
Another way to say it would be: and all those on earth who have caused destruction.

Towards the end of Revelation is a clue, I think, where it talks about 4 different kinds of men, the worst being the first kind mentioned.
11 Let the one who is doing harm continue to do harm; let the one who is vile continue to be vile; let the one who is righteous continue to live righteously; let the one who is holy continue to be holy.”

I think those on earth who cause destruction are here called, those who are doing harm. I think the destruction and harm of mens souls is in view here.
Thats deep. I assume that true christians that are in Jesus are considered the righteous men(not by our own righteousness but under Jesus'). I wonder who he considers holy?

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats deep. I assume that true christians that are in Jesus are considered the righteous men(not by our own righteousness but under Jesus'). I wonder who he considers holy?

I would say the righteous are those who have trusted Him and are growing in that trust. They were born of the Spirit and are led by the Spirit. They are learning. Jesus is in them.

I would say the holy are those not just led by the Spirit but who actually walk IN the Spirit. Jesus is in them AND they are in Him.

Reactions: Mantis

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heirs with Christ

Romans 8:

12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation, but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.15For you did not receive a spirit of slavery that returns you to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. 17And if we are children, then we are heirs: heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ—if indeed we suffer with Him, so that we may also be glorified with Him.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
if 'destroying the earth' is also metaphorical, what might the metaphor be for in the light of the Gospel?

It could be anything, for example some people think the "destroyer" refers to the old Roman Empire.
A theory of mine is that it might refer to all non-christians and atheists whose bad vibes are upsetting the fragile fabric of the universe, triggering tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, disease etc.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who exactly are "those who destroy the earth" bearing in mind that our generation is certainly the filthiest polluting generation that there's ever been-
"The nations were angry, and your wrath has come.
The time has come for judging the dead, and for rewarding your servants the prophets and your people who revere your name,
both great and small, and for destroying those who destroy the earth.” (Revelation 11:18 NIV)
No, just some. Many want what God wants, many do not, but hate God and are at war with the Spirit.

Reactions: Taken and Dropship

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It could be anything, for example some people think the "destroyer" refers to the old Roman Empire.
A theory of mine is that it might refer to all non-christians and atheists whose bad vibes are upsetting the fragile fabric of the universe, triggering tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, disease etc.

The term 'in the light of the Gospel' seems to be not understood let alone knowing how to apply it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I've never owned or wanted a stinking car so maybe I'm on the right track..:)

Interesting, cuz if your avatar be you, you look older than 16...
Perhaps a city guy, no use for a car?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, cuz if your avatar be you, you look older than 16...
Perhaps a city guy, no use for a car?

Right, I've lived in big cities all my life and just hop on the bus or a taxi or my bicycle, i've got absolutely no need for a car..:)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe God controls the weather.
I believe God gives the World at large knowledge, signs, warnings, tid bits, of examples of things to expect on a much larger scale.

It’s a weird thing. A Few buildings fall down, a Few thousand die, and the Whole World 24-7 for years, war, talk about, creat tons of oppressive legislation....and on the flip side a volcano erupts, a quick news notation, thousands die, and people say, whew, glad I didn’t live there.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, I've lived in big cities all my life and just hop on the bus or a taxi or my bicycle, i've got absolutely no need for a car..:)

Gotcha. Convenience I’m sure. But the trade off? Brick, mortar, concrete, exhausts, crowded?

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Gotcha. Convenience I’m sure. But the trade off? Brick, mortar, concrete, exhausts, crowded?
Yes I've often thought about finding a peaceful remote house in the country, what could go wrong?
Oh wait..

ufo-signs5.jpg

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I've often thought about finding a peaceful remote house in the country, what could go wrong?
Oh wait..

View attachment 23608

LOL Alien mowers....please come to my house...lol...we mow acres +.
Had a new neighbor, his side yard backed up to our fairly sizable back yard (other house from now). Neighbor did not know his boundary line, mowed nearly all of our yard. Whoop, whoop, my son was so happy, lol.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who He considers holy? I would say those whom He has:
(Forgiven, covered, taken, washed, restored, saved, sanctified, quickened, preserved, justified) ...
ie. Converted...MADE Wholly Whole (holy)...body, soul, spirit.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Mantis

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree that human society is ruining the physical earth faster than it can recover. And "us" is referring to the unrighteous. However, I believe that Revelation 11:18-in part-is a metaphor and has a deeper or dual meaning regarding “…those ruining the earth.” A question could be how people are ruining the earth.

In the Bible, “earth” does not always refer to our globe. For instance, Psalm 96:1 says literally: “Sing to the Lord, all the earth.” We know that our planet-the terra firma and the vast oceans-cannot sing. People sing. Yes, Psalm 96:1 is referring to the people on the earth. If “heavens” can symbolize the superior ruling power or government so, to “earth.” represents a new society of people.-Isaiah 65:17; Habakkuk 2:14.

Consider the account at Genesis 6:11-13. The people were not necessarily ruining the physical earth, but symbolically the earth was being ruined because of their wickedness.