Does the Bible identify "Babylon"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In support of your post, the following scriptures in Revelation support that Babylon the Great (Harlot) is primarily the world empire of false religion. Compare Revelation 17:1, 2, 5, 15-18; 18:9, 11, 15, 23, 24.
She promotes a false religion that leadeth all false religoins and secular to be as one . SHE IS GATHERING ALL FALSE RELIGOINS
under this huge LOVE religion . EVEN CHRISTENDOM has tanked under her false love to unite all as one .
Beware her , for she is in many a church as we speak . Her words are all inclusive , co exist ,
bridge builders , finding common ground , bridge builders , she promotes UNITY UNITY and yet it sure aint under GOD or HIS CHRIST
but rather under the dragon who sits as a false love god and preaches a love and a unity
contrary to GOD , HIS LOVE and HIS UNITY . She wont correct sin , but she sure corrects those who would correct sin .

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
as are the nations of the world . the whore sitteth over many waters . All who partake of the all inclusive social gospel
Social gospel is appropriate. Including anti-social and tolerant of Christians that refuse to join the koombaya club
All inclusive , false love , she is huge on these words . To bring all to be as one mind , one heart , one people under the dragon
and unto the beast .
The beast with a beatific smile covering lion's teeth.

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She promotes a rainbow but its a dark one
She promotes doing some good works but NOT the dire need to BELIEVE IN JESUS , for she accepts all paths
She promotes unity but not under CHRIST but under the beast , the dragon .
She is world wise and knows how to decieve . Her love is contrary to TRUTH , to GOD , to HIS LOVE
beware her for she has many workers within ALL REALMS who do her bidding .
Sounds sneaky. Maybe that's why she's called Mother Mystery.

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If it's a false ministry then Paul is speaking of it as the mystery of iniquity made out of the doctrine of Christ. I've always looked at it as sort of head scratcher like why in the world would someone mess up the Bible like that? The reason would be to have our sin cake on earth and eat it on the way to heaven.

Good point. It's a certain city, not just any city.

I still don't know why this Babylon can't be the city itself. It was a good tourist place at the time with the hanging gardens still in tact. Babylon was just as popular as the other cities with one of the wonders of the world like Ephesus and the temple of Diana.

Maybe it just shows that babylon city is nothing more than any other city for God to save souls in.

This is another good point. I thought immediately of rev 17 when I saw your reference to Jerem 4.

Right. Jesus prophesied it.

And another good point.

I like these comparisons. I haven't seen anyone do it before.

Exactly. Good job.

And of course there's the Rev 11 quote that the great city is where the Lord was crucified.

The great city is Jerusalem.

Good work.
Thank you and that point from rev 11 was in item #3

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Hebrew, whether its the tower, the city, the empire, and its meaning in prophecy down to the close of human history and Christs return, are all the same Hebrew word babel , Babylon. Babel is Babylon and Babel is confusion.

The name Babylon is derived from BAB-ILU which was “gate of the gods” or "the portal of the gods", and in a sense it thus portrays a means of access to the gods that is contrary to God's prescribed plan of salvation. Access is granted through the system and not by faith in Jesus Christ. It is a system where
(Jerusalem) Is The Whore, Mystery Babylon The Great.

The Levitical High Priest Dressing represents "The Woman", that is dressed in purple, scarlet, gold, and precious stones as seen below

(Revelation) 17:4KJV

4 And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

Yes "The Woman", The Levitical High Priest, Dressed In Purple, Scarlet, Gold, And Precious Stones

(Exodus) 28:15-20KJV
15 And thou shalt make the breastplate of judgment with cunning work; after the work of the ephod thou shalt make it; of gold, of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine twined linen, shalt thou make it.
16 Foursquare it shall be being doubled; a span shall be the length thereof, and a span shall be the breadth thereof.
17 And thou shalt set in it settings of stones, even four rows of stones: the first row shall be a sardius, a topaz, and a carbuncle: this shall be the first row.
18 And the second row shall be an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond.
19 And the third row a ligure, an agate, and an amethyst.
20 And the fourth row a beryl, and an onyx, and a jasper: they shall be set in gold in their inclosings.

(Jerusalem) is the seven Mount city, where the woman sits, not Rome as many falsely claim.

(Revelation) 17:9KJV

9 And here is the mind which hath wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth.

List of cities claimed to be built on seven hills - Wikipedia
Jerusalem, Israel: Jerusalem's seven hills are Mount Scopus, Mount Olivet and the Mount of Corruption (all three are peaks in a mountain ridge that lies east of the Old City), Mount Ophel, the original Mount Zion, the New Mount Zion and the hill on which the Antonia Fortress was built.

The Roman Empire didnt exist to be guilty of the Prophets blood seen below, Jerusalem did.

(Revelation) 18:24KJV

24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

(Matthew) 23:29-37KJV
29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Jerusalem (The Woman) that (Great City) as seen below, Jerusalem where Jesus Christ was crucified

(Revelation) 17:18AKJV

18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

(Revelation) 11:8AKJV
8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Jews/Hebrews cast dust upon their heads, weeping for the (Great City) Jerusalem

(Revelation) 18:19 AKJV

19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

Reactions: amigo de christo

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Does the Bible identify "Babylon"?​

At a primitive level the name says plenty. Babylon = babel on

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Jerusalem) is the seven Mount city, where the woman sits, not Rome as many falsely claim.

Jerusalem sits on at least 12 mountains/hills:

1. The Mount of Olives
2. Mount Scopus
3. Mount of Corruption
4. Original Mount Zion/called Temple Mount
5. The New Mount Zion/called Western Hill
6. Mount Ophel
7. Antonia Fortress Hill
8. Mount Moriah
9. Mount Bezetha
10. Mount Acra
11. Mount Gareb
12. Mount Herzl

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jerusalem sits on at least 12 mountains/hills:

1. The Mount of Olives
No.

The Mount of Olives (Olivet) is clearly to the "east" "of the city" "Jerusalem", so much so, when New Jerusalem comes down, it will be situate over against old sinful Jerusalem:
Zec 14:4 And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.​
Eze_11:23 And the glory of the LORD went up from the midst of the city, and stood upon the mountain which is on the east side of the city.​
Act_1:12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.​
It even took Jesus nearly a whole day to go from Lazarus', Mary and Martha's house in Bethany (Mt. Olives) to Jerusalem for the triumphal entry.

Joh 12:1 Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead.​
Mat 21:1 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples,​
Luk 19:29 And it came to pass, when he was come nigh to Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount called the mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples,​
Luk 19:30 Saying, Go ye into the village over against you; in the which at your entering ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither.​
Joh 12:12 On the next day much people that were come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem,​
Mat 21:17 And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there.​

Last edited:

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, then Jerusalem is built upon 11 hills instead of 12? Still makes my point.
Wiki claims:

"Jerusalem: Jerusalem's seven hills are Mount Scopus, Mount Olivet and the Mount of Corruption (all three are peaks in a mountain ridge that lies east of the Old City), Mount Ophel, the original Mount Zion, the New Mount Zion and the hill on which the Antonia Fortress was built." - List of cities claimed to be built on seven hills - Wikipedia

Yet I just showed Jerusalem is not situate on the Mount of Olives. So it is simply arbitrary. Being on and near a mountain are two different things.

The other Wiki says, exactly what I said:

"The Mount of Olives is one of three peaks of a mountain ridge which runs for 3.5 kilometres (2.2 miles) just east of the Old City across the Kidron Valley, in this area called the Valley of Josaphat." - Mount of Olives - Wikipedia

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wiki doesn't count. Plus, Mt. Zion is outside of the walls of old Jerusalem yet that is usually counted.
Yes, it does count, because wiki is just showing the common claim.

Mt. Zion may be outside the old walls, but the city is built on it. The city is not built on Mt Olivet.

Goyeintoalltheworld

Feb 2, 2023
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 17:4
And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication:

1 Corinthians 3:11,12
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

What did man build upon the foundation of Jesus Christ?

Reactions: amigo de christo

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

The Mount of Olives (Olivet) is clearly to the "east" "of the city" "Jerusalem", so much so, when New Jerusalem comes down, it will be situate over against old sinful Jerusalem:
You seem to be saying New Jerusalem will be coming down on this earth and will be side by side with the old Jerusalem?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I talk about an organization of churches that employs business practices to wring every last dollar and time from it's members, it's from personal experience. That is why I equate so easily with the beast's own Christian religion of organized churches built with his own hands and gospel. Rev 18 says that great Babylon will be awash in merchandize and the souls of men. It's a perfect description of the one I was in for about a decade.

So when I say Christian religion being corrupt it's the same thing as the Jews religion that corrupted itself by rejecting Jesus Christ. They have made their own religion and synagogues for themselves, and so do people calling themselves Christians such as JWs and Mormons. Jesus calls the Jews' synagogues of Satan and I would not call the churches of Mormons, the churches of God.

Just as the beast will have his own brand of Christian religion and churches, that Christians will need to flee and not be defiled by his gospel, so do Mormons have Christians that need to flee and not be defiled by their super secrets of the inner sanctorum.

So when I speak of their churches and religion I am not speaking of the churches of God and His pure religion that is undefiled with doctrines, traditions, and commandments of men.

Jesus and His apostles never condone false Christians that give lip service to His name any more than the false Jews that give lip service to the God of Israel. The real Christian and Jew is the one with circumcision of Christ by His Spirit and not the one sitting in pews one day while rioting with the world the rest of the week.

To suggest there are no Christians in name only is ignorance of the apostles' letters and books. We don't look for fault in one another but we are also not ignorant of the devil's ability to make tares grow in our churches. We don't try to pluck them up nor doing anything with them personally but just let God take care of things in His body.

I would say the beast's organization of churches in the Christian religion would be tares on steroids uprooting the wheat because he's the worst tare of all.
Actual "Mormon" here--
Jesus Christ is my Savior. He is the Son of God, whom died for my sins and lives again so that I can live again. He is my Lord & Savior, the very foundation of my soul. I am a Christian.

I am a Christian. Not a Protestant Christian, or a Catholic Christian, but an LDS Christian. Let's not look a the labels on churches doors, but instead listen to each person's heart and their love of God.

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actual "Mormon" here--
Jesus Christ is my Savior. He is the Son of God, whom died for my sins and lives again so that I can live again. He is my Lord & Savior, the very foundation of my soul. I am a Christian.

I am a Christian. Not a Protestant Christian, or a Catholic Christian, but an LDS Christian. Let's not look a the labels on churches doors, but instead listen to each person's heart and their love of God.
Your confession is good enough for God, so it's good enough for me. The point I also make is that in every great organization and house, there are vessels unto honor and dishonor.

False teaching of the leadership does not mean no wheat can grow among the tares. What you need to look at is the title of your book of Mormon and not the label on the door.

"The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ"

As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

I'm not suggesting you cease being with Mormons, but they do have hidden mysteries of doctrine not commonly preached that are definitely not Bible and true. It's the same with the JW's although their created christ stuff is pretty much front and center. If the time comes for the hidden secrets to be revealed with demand to believe them, then that's when you'd want to flee.

Babylon is fallen, is fallen is when any single church, denomination, organization becomes solely focused on absolute loyalty to any and all teachings of the leaders that also are not Jesus' word and gospel.

But if you're happy there then by all means stay where you are. We answer to God not one another. But if you ever get the distinct sense that all is not right in Mormon Denmark, then we must always choose conscience with Jesus over loyalty to man.