Does the LORD regret?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 6:

6 the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
God knew everything and all the consequences before they happened. There was no need for divinity to regret. This was an example of anthropomorphism.

Another example in 1 Samuel 15:

10 The word of the LORD came to Samuel: 11 “I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed my commandments.” And Samuel was angry, and he cried to the LORD all night.
In terms of anthropomorphism, the LORD regrets.

29 And also the Glory of Israel will not lie or have regret, for he is not a man, that he should have regret.”
Regarding divine attributes, he does not regret anything since he is omniscient.

35b And the LORD regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel.
Anthropomorphism again.

See also Does God change his mind?.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to question the impassibility doctrine. For example, we say that God can love, or be angry, or be pleased. Since we are made in the image of God, might there be some reality behind the anthropomorphisms?

God only knows.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have to question the impassibility doctrine. For example, we say that God can love, or be angry, or be pleased. Since we are made in the image of God, might there be some reality behind the anthropomorphisms?
Good point. I deleted the offending statement. Please take another look. Thanks.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 6:

God knew everything and all the consequences before they happened. There was no need for divinity to regret. This was an example of anthropomorphism.

Another example in 1 Samuel 15:

In terms of anthropomorphism, the LORD regrets.

Regarding divine attributes, he does not regret anything since he is omniscient.

Anthropomorphism again.

See also Does God change his mind?.

2 Corinthians 7:8-10 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle has made you sorry, though it were but for a season. [9] Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that you sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that you might receive damage by us in nothing. [10] For godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world works death.