Does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Acts 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Struggling here with does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all? For instance in the passage of what never fails but what does fail, what does cease, what does vanish away, what is done away with...1 Corinthians 13:8-10 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Can it be said that what ceases, vanishes, and fails in not within the body. Yet the word says manifestation of the Spirit is given to profit all when that which is perfect has come that in part is done away. And Paul’s words even to those he asked to examine whether they be in faith 1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

the Manifestation of the Spirit of God...to profit all or a select few?

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good
1 Cor 12:7

Jonah was sent to Nineveh to preach repentance to them or judgement would come.
They did not believe in God, but had gone so far, God was about to destroy them.

God is concerned with the common good, the oppressed the poor.

3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.
4 Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
5 They know nothing, they understand nothing. They walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are shaken.
Psalm 82:3-5

God regards the poor as innocent and worthy of protection. Some argue sinners are just food for the lake of fire, too lost to even have compassion for. This is tempered with the offspring of those who hate God and His ways, which is kept for generations. Some also feel that sinners can do nothing good except Cornelius who was "devout and God-fearing"

5 The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.
Acts 10:5

Gods intention on the world is to bless and lead them to life, and if not to life, to experience love and part of His nature.

3 A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out
Isaiah 42:3

20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
Rom 1:20

So the gifts are for the blessing of everyone, a work of goodness to bring hope to all, though only the elect are truly listening. God bless you

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It will cease. When will that be? Let's check Scripture:

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known (1 Cor 13:8-12 NIV).

“but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”
Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

“When I was a child, I reasoned like a child.”
1 Corinthians 3:1-2 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. [2] I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (Love)Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

“for now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.”

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. [18] But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

I don't expect the gifts of the Spirit to cease until I see the Lord God 'face to face', when 'I shall know fully'.

Surely as they are for the perfecting of the saints, and “let us move on to perfection”, completeness.

Heard a song the other day. It is a beautiful song and was a blessing as it stirred praise in the midst of a difficult day. Maybe you have heard of it “I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me...I can only imagine when that day comes
When I find myself standing in the Son”

Do we have to imagine that day? Is it really “I can only imagine”. The gifts are for the perfecting of the saints to move on to “face to face” then that in parts cease becoming that which is complete.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Still listening to this song. The “Or in awe of your face will I be still...”

He said to the storm raging “peace, be still” and His peace He leaves, not as the world gives peace. Point is I do not know the writer of this song but it is a gift for the perfecting of the saints. Maybe the writer meant future tense but it is there “take hold of His peace.” In His face, in His presence ...be still. We argue and debate everyday when those gifts cease or pass away or vanish ...not while there is arguing over who is right.

Reactions: Rita and Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Still listening to this song. The “Or in awe of your face will I be still...”

He said to the storm raging “peace, be still” and His peace He leaves, not as the world gives peace. Point is I do not know the writer of this song but it is a gift for the perfecting of the saints. Maybe the writer meant future tense but it is there “take hold of His peace.” We argue and debate everyday when those gifts cease or pass away or vanish ...not while there is arguing over who is right.
I have watched the movie like 10 times....

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”
Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

“When I was a child, I reasoned like a child.”
1 Corinthians 3:1-2 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. [2] I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

1 Corinthians 13:4-7 (Love)Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

“for now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.”

2 Corinthians 3:17-18 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. [18] But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

Surely as they are for the perfecting of the saints, and “let us move on to perfection”, completeness.

Heard a song the other day. It is a beautiful song and was a blessing as it stirred praise in the midst of a difficult day. Maybe you have heard of it “I can only imagine what my eyes will see
When your face is before me...I can only imagine when that day comes
When I find myself standing in the Son”

Do we have to imagine that day? Is it really “I can only imagine”. The gifts are for the perfecting of the saints to move on to “face to face” then that in parts cease becoming that which is complete.

ViJ,

Please address the topic I raised of when the gifts of the Spirit will cease.

Cherry picking verses doesn't go down well with me.

Oz

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ViJ,

Oz

When that which is complete comes. Isn’t that what the word says? 1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Seems you want to discuss gifts being ceased when it says that which is in part is not done away with, until that which is perfect has come.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ViJ,

Oz
As long as the Holy Spirit abides in us (we being the temple of the Holy Spirit).

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When that which is complete comes. Isn’t that what the word says? 1 Corinthians 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Seems you want to discuss gifts being ceased when it says that which is in part is not done away with, until that which is perfect has come.

ViJ,

Based on my knowledge of the Greek, this is a pretty good translation: 'But when what is complete comes, the things that are not complete will pass away' (1 Cor 13:10 CEV).

When will that completion come?

Now all we can see of God
is like a cloudy picture
in a mirror.
Later we will see him
face to face.
We don’t know everything,
but then we will,
just as God completely
understands us (1 Cor 13:12 CEV).​

When I'm face to face with God, the gifts will cease as they are no longer needed. Until then, God continues to give all of the gifts.

Oz

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H2S,

Are you saying that as long as people are on the earth and become Christian, the Holy Spirit will continue to give the full range of the gifts of the Spirit?

Oz
Yes unless you kick him out...ugh...but you are His temple....we are...

Reactions: Rita

Answer man

Mar 8, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a sign to the unbelievers. It allows the believer’s spirit to speak mysteries to God. It allows the Holy Spirit to speak to the church after an unknown tongues is spoken allowed in church. If you read your Bible, you would know that already. It’s in 1 Corinthians 14.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s a sign to the unbelievers. It allows the believer’s spirit to speak mysteries to God. It allows the Holy Spirit to speak to the church after an unknown tongues is spoken allowed in church. If you read your Bible, you would know that already. It’s in 1 Corinthians 14.
I think tongues is also for personal praying allowing the Holy Spirit to pray what you don't know what to pray. So in this scripture it applies to believers.