Does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Concerning Simon: Acts 8:23-24 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. [24] Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me.
Simon simply wanted to avoid judgment, NOT repent sincerely. So kindly study the history of Simon the Sorcerer.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. That is not what I am saying. Those who put their faith in God and did His will received the Holy Spirit. Those who did not believe God did not receive the Spirit. They were unsaved.

For many of the prophets and judges, it was permanent. But there were times when God gave the Spirit and then took Him away.

For anyone to claim today that God gives the Holy Spirit to the unsaved is to make God a liar. Here are the Scriptures that demand repentance and faith in Christ before the gift of the Spirit is given.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Acts 2:38)

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise...(Eph 1:13)

On the other hand, Simon the Sorcerer wanted to buy the gift of the Holy Spirit for his own nefarious reasons. Peter rebuked him soundly and commanded him to repent (which he did not do):

ACTS 8: THE HOLY SPIRIT NOT GIVEN TO THE WICKED

18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

Do get your point. In considering it, more questions are raised than answers. Maybe the best (IMO) to support what you are saying as needing to be considered is James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Yet, 1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Corinthians 5:14-15 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: [15] And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

All I’m asking is if the manifestation of the Spirit is to profit all, in “that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves”

take fishermen who become Mark 1:16-17 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. [17] And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.

Or what about tent makers like Paul who become 1 Corinthians 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I see is that Simon Magus repented and was baptized (verse 13), but then he went bad.
How could he have repented when he wanted to buy the Holy Spirit's power? He was merely baptized and made a false profession. Otherwise Peter would not have condemned him to Hell.

JUSTIN MARTYR
"And I despised the wicked and deceitful doctrine of Simon of my own nation. And if you give this book your authority, we will expose him before all, that, if possible, they may be converted"

IRENAEUS
"This Simon feigned faith, supposing that the apostles themselves performed their cures by the art of magic, and not by the power of God."

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
one scripture will answer this,
Phil 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Phil 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father".

every knee, and tongue, don't mean only christian knees, nor Christian tongues. no every means "EVERY".

as with his Spirit poured out,
Joel 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions"

no, wait a minute. God is going to pour out his spirit only on "Christian" flesh". no, wait, only on "baptized" flesh. no, wait, only on "believing" flesh.
lol, no the scriptures are true, all flesh.

and yes a talent is a gift. just be faithful in a little, and see what happen. ..... pratice make perfect. 1Cor 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away". :)

PICJAG.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could he have repented when he wanted to buy the Holy Spirit's power? He was merely baptized and made a false profession. Otherwise Peter would not have condemned him to Hell.

JUSTIN MARTYR
"And I despised the wicked and deceitful doctrine of Simon of my own nation. And if you give this book your authority, we will expose him before all, that, if possible, they may be converted"

IRENAEUS
"This Simon feigned faith, supposing that the apostles themselves performed their cures by the art of magic, and not by the power of God."
I don't consider either of those two authorities.

You believe the Apostles could be fooled like that? I don't. I think he repented and received enough of the Holy Spirit to know better; but he returned like a dog to its vomit. What he received didn't satisfy him. He wanted to be the equal of the Apostles.

2 Peter 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Reactions: amadeus

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't consider either of those two authorities.

You believe the Apostles could be fooled like that? I don't. I think he repented and received enough of the Holy Spirit to know better; but he returned like a dog to its vomit. What he received didn't satisfy him. He wanted to be the equal of the Apostles.

2 Peter 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.
Solemn words from the quoted passage; but good to remember, in the light of human nature as God sees it.

Reactions: Giuliano

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is whether you get the point.

Doesn’t matter if I get the point now does it? I’ve been struggling myself. Don’t really care to argue or debate with you whether or not it is for the filth of the earth, yeah? Because God doesn’t make it rain on the Just and the unjust alike. Was just trying to work through why there are so many eaters (myself included)and not many Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

1 Corinthians 11:21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
May have something to do with “For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers:”

Does God make it to rain on the Just and unjust alike? What is rain? And He gave gifts to all men, yeah even the rebellious also.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
All I’m asking is if the manifestation of the Spirit is to profit all
no, surely not in the perspective of those who seek profit anyway
the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit,
but if the Spirit is rejected then that one will not profit by it, seems to me anyway

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Acts 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Struggling here with does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all? For instance in the passage of what never fails but what does fail, what does cease, what does vanish away, what is done away with...1 Corinthians 13:8-10 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Can it be said that what ceases, vanishes, and fails in not within the body. Yet the word says manifestation of the Spirit is given to profit all when that which is perfect has come that in part is done away. And Paul’s words even to those he asked to examine whether they be in faith 1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

the Manifestation of the Spirit of God...to profit all or a select few?

ViJ,

One of the keys to understanding the difference between Acts 2 and 1 Cor 12-14 is that Paul corrected the Corinthians for their disorderly gathering when they came together. His instruction was:

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?... 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church (1 Cor 14:6, 10-12 NIV).​

The gifts of the Spirit manifested in the church gathering must be in the language of the people so that the people understand and not be treated as foreigners (with uninterpreted tongues).

I've had enough of going to Pentecostal churches where there is is a tirade of tongues but without interpretation. These services violate the passage I've quoted above.

Oz

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's also said that Jesus lights everyone who comes into the world. Some benefit, some do not.
Yes, it is so written:

"That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9

Those who have read carefully, see that it effectively speaks of every person born of woman, even though they have not yet been born from above, or born of God, or born again. Still dead, but with enough hope in that glimmer of light to enable a hungry and thirsty person to come to the fullness of Light or Life, which Jesus brought to men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giuliano

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Jesus said...there are many things I would tell you...but you are not ready to receive them. Too bad! :)

He didn’t say “Too bad!” John 16:12-13 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. [13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

1 Corinthians 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

However be born of the Spirit ...able to bear. 1 Corinthians 10:12-13 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. [13] There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape,(an open door) that ye may be able to bear it.

1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

“there are many things I would tell you...but you are not ready to receive them. Too bad!” Not “too bad” but instead an constant urging toward “born of the Spirit” for He (God)has many things to say ...that is good yeah? That God has many things to say and who is able to bear?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
ViJ,

One of the keys to understanding the difference between Acts 2 and 1 Cor 12-14 is that Paul corrected the Corinthians for their disorderly gathering when they came together. His instruction was:

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?... 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church (1 Cor 14:6, 10-12 NIV).​

The gifts of the Spirit manifested in the church gathering must be in the language of the people so that the people understand and not be treated as foreigners (with uninterpreted tongues).

I've had enough of going to Pentecostal churches where there is is a tirade of tongues but without interpretation. These services violate the passage I've quoted above.

Oz
@OzSpen Good to remember the meaning of the word tongues = languages. Edification is in view.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all,

I find and specially in these forums, many who does not understand the gist of the subject matter of many OP. This thread as example.

The author of the OP cited 1 Corinthians Chapter 12 -14 with Acts 2:16-17 which (I believe everything in the Bible inter-relates) these verses given does not relate.

So everyone who posted here began on a wrong premise!

The question, “the Manifestation of the Spirit of God...to profit all or a select few?”

My answer is to profit only the select few.

I believe to understand Acts Chapter 2 and Joel Chapter 2, we must first define the meaning of the phrase “I will pour out of my spirit upon all flesh,” which none who posted here touched upon and only then can we understand God’s intent.

I suggest be like the Bereans and search the scriptures if this be true. When you have found the answer come back and we will reason together again.

To God Be The Glory

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think this existed in Apostolic times, at any rate.

farouk,

There is no indication in the context of 1 Cor 13 that it ceased after the time of the Apostles.

It will cease. When will that be? Let's check Scripture:

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known (1 Cor 13:8-12 NIV).​

I don't expect the gifts of the Spirit to cease until I see the Lord God 'face to face', when 'I shall know fully'.

Oz

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Acts 2:16-17 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Struggling here with does the manifestation of the Spirit profit all? For instance in the passage of what never fails but what does fail, what does cease, what does vanish away, what is done away with...1 Corinthians 13:8-10 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Can it be said that what ceases, vanishes, and fails in not within the body. Yet the word says manifestation of the Spirit is given to profit all when that which is perfect has come that in part is done away. And Paul’s words even to those he asked to examine whether they be in faith 1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

the Manifestation of the Spirit of God...to profit all or a select few?
Wow VIJ that is excellent searching....I never thought of it past those who are saved....thought provoking!