Dogs in the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dogs were unclean animals according to Leviticus 11:27. It had negative connotations.

Proverbs 26:

11 As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly.
2 Samuel 9:

8 Mephibosheth bowed down and said, “What is your servant, that you should notice a dead dog like me?”
On the other hand,

Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Vol 32.4 (2008): 487-500

In 1960, D. Winton Thomas published an influential article entitled, ‘Kelebh “Dog”: Its Origin and Some Uses of It in the Old Testament’. In the article, Thomas argued that the Israelites held a negative attitude toward dogs. They viewed the dog as ‘a vile and contemptible animal’, ‘the most ignoble and contemptible of animals’, ‘that lowly animal … despised and generally wretched’.
A look at the book of Tobit, as well as archaeological and textual evidence from Israel’s neighboring cultures, will demonstrate that the claims of Winton are exaggerations. The Israelites often used the word 3=6<6! derisively, but their attitude towards dogs was not entirely negative.
Tobit 6.2 reads, ‘When the boy left home, accompanied by the angel, the dog followed Tobiah out of the house and went with them’. In ch. 11, Tobiah and the angel return from their trip, and ‘the dog ran along behind them’ (Tob. 11.4). Although these texts are brief, they demonstrate that the dog is a travel companion who protects Tobiah and the angel from predators and bandits. Notice, too, that the dog follows Tobiah ‘out of the house’. He obviously shares the same living quarters with his owners and is not ‘excluded from dwelling-houses’ as Gray asserts. This dog may even be a pet.
the Israelites of the exilic and pre-exilic periods also interacted with Egyptians, Assyrians, and Babylonians, all of whom valued dogs as well.
Tobiah's dog showed obedience to his master. The paper's author convinced me that the Israelites saw dogs both positively and negatively.

By the time of the New Testament, we see in Matthew 15:

25 The woman came and knelt before him [Jesus]. “Lord, help me!” she said.
26He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.”
27“Yes it is, Lord,” she said. “Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.”
28 Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
How can anyone not like man's best friend? :)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dogs were unclean animals according to Leviticus 11:27. It had negative connotations.

Proverbs 26:

2 Samuel 9:

On the other hand,

Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Vol 32.4 (2008): 487-500

Tobiah's dog showed obedience to his master. The paper's author convinced me that the Israelites saw dogs both positively and negatively.

By the time of the New Testament, we see in Matthew 15:

How can anyone not like man's best friend? :)
The Lord said this:

[27] And all that go on their paws, among the animals that go on all fours, are unclean to you; whoever touches their carcass shall be unclean until the evening,
[28] and he who carries their carcass shall wash his clothes and be unclean until the evening; they are unclean to you. Leviticus 11:27-28 RSV

I guess if we carry the carcass of a dog, we are unclean till evening. I wonder if it makes a difference if we put the carcass in a trash bag. Our dog was put to sleep when I was a boy, and I had to carry it to the car, and then to its grave.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the wild dogs are scavengers who will eat dead animals, so I can see how they'd be considered unclean.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I didn’t realise that Muslims have to wash so many times if they come in contact with a dog, so within their religion dogs are unclean animals as well. Never really considered the cultural views in biblical times towards dogs !

Reactions: TonyChanYT

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the wild dogs are scavengers who will eat dead animals, so I can see how they'd be considered unclean.
Humans! they eat dead animals also......and scavenge? Oppression would vaporise without the principle of 'get as much as you can get for as little as you can give'

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Humans! they eat dead animals also......and scavenge? Oppression would vaporise without the principle of 'get as much as you can get for as little as you can give'
Yes, but the point is that roadkill is not kosher.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As long as you have a bottle of ketchup handy.
:) When my kids were little we would go adventuring to the far flung corners of the continent. On our land adventures playing native was part of the fun. Ochre was sourced and bodies were painted. Fresh roadkill was also a treat roasted in the evening fire.
.....those were the days my friends....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
:) When my kids were little we would go adventuring to the far flung corners of the continent. On our land adventures playing native was part of the fun. Ochre was sourced and bodies were painted. Fresh roadkill was also a treat roasted in the evening fire.
.....those were the days my friends....
....and look at me now, everything is normal, normal, normal......even that persistent twitch o_O

Reactions: Jim C