Don’t Use Imagination to Measure God’s Work as the Frog in the Well

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wendy Harris

May 21, 2018
Daegu
www.holyspiritspeaks.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Korea, Democratic Peoples Republic Of
I once read a story, it’s about a frog in a well. One day, a bird landed on the edge of the well. The frog asked where the bird came from. The bird replied that it came from the sky, and after flying for a very long distance, it was looking for some water to drink. Hearing the bird’s words, the frog thought the bird was boasting, and said that the sky was no bigger than the mouth of the well because it had been living in the well and could see the sky once it looked up.

books-reading.jpg

The frog in the fable is narrow-sighted. It looks at the sky from the bottom of the well, and thus perceives it to be as big as the mouth of the well. The frog is also arrogant. Though its vision is limited, it believes firmly that its viewpoint is correct. In real life, are we not the same as the frog in the well? We believe what we’ve seen and doubt those we haven’t seen. For example, many worldly people have no interaction with Christians and do not understand God’s work, and yet they deny the existence of God based on the view that seeing is believing. Some Christians, after memorizing some popular verses from the Bible and mastering some spiritual doctrines, think that they have already understood the truth and had life; when other brothers and sisters shed new light with their talks, they would blindly deny and refute it. Some hold that belief in God is belief in the Bible, and they think the Bible represents God, and thus delimit God within the Bible. Other Christians think that they have known the Lord and understood the Lord’s will when they are only familiar with the words and work of the Lord Jesus …

Let’s think about this: Though we have never seen God’s countenance, it doesn’t mean that God does not exist. Though we have learned about God’s work in the Age of Law and the Age of Grace through the Bible, we must be clear that the Bible is only an account of God’s work in the past. How can the work God has never done before be recorded in the Bible? Therefore, even if we are very familiar with the Bible, it doesn’t mean that we have known the Lord, much less that we can fathom God’s work. For example, we learn from the Bible that the Lord Jesus was crucified to redeem all mankind, but we have no idea why God became flesh to carry out His work, nor do we have true knowledge of the Lord’s identity and essence. We believe in the Lord Jesus only on our lips, acknowledging He is wonderful and unfathomable, but we always constrain the Lord’s work within the Bible without realizing that His work is actually not restricted by the Bible. Based on the fact that the Lord Jesus redeemed all mankind through crucifixion and the disposition He revealed is love and compassion, we then conclude that God is a God who will forever be loving and merciful and be nailed to the cross for man. If the Lord’s work goes beyond our knowledge, then He will no longer be our Lord Jesus. As such, instead of saying we believe in the Lord Jesus, it’s better to say we have defined God as a puppet and are worshiping an idol. … We measure God with our thoughts and notions. It’s just like looking at the entire world from the bottom of a well.

Don’t forget that we are creatures of God. How can we fathom the Creator’s wonderful deeds? We are just like the frog in the well, if we want to see the world outside the well, we have to jump out of it; if we want to truly know God, we must get rid of our own imaginations and notions, put aside ourselves, and deny ourselves, only thus can we obtain the enlightenment and illumination of the Holy Spirit and come to know more about God’s work.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once read a story, it’s about a frog in a well. One day, a bird landed on the edge of the well. The frog asked where the bird came from. The bird replied that it came from the sky, and after flying for a very long distance, it was looking for some water to drink. Hearing the bird’s words, the frog thought the bird was boasting, and said that the sky was no bigger than the mouth of the well because it had been living in the well and could see the sky once it looked up.

books-reading.jpg

The frog in the fable is narrow-sighted. It looks at the sky from the bottom of the well, and thus perceives it to be as big as the mouth of the well. The frog is also arrogant. Though its vision is limited, it believes firmly that its viewpoint is correct. In real life, are we not the same as the frog in the well? We believe what we’ve seen and doubt those we haven’t seen. For example, many worldly people have no interaction with Christians and do not understand God’s work, and yet they deny the existence of God based on the view that seeing is believing. Some Christians, after memorizing some popular verses from the Bible and mastering some spiritual doctrines, think that they have already understood the truth and had life; when other brothers and sisters shed new light with their talks, they would blindly deny and refute it. Some hold that belief in God is belief in the Bible, and they think the Bible represents God, and thus delimit God within the Bible. Other Christians think that they have known the Lord and understood the Lord’s will when they are only familiar with the words and work of the Lord Jesus …

Let’s think about this: Though we have never seen God’s countenance, it doesn’t mean that God does not exist. Though we have learned about God’s work in the Age of Law and the Age of Grace through the Bible, we must be clear that the Bible is only an account of God’s work in the past. How can the work God has never done before be recorded in the Bible? Therefore, even if we are very familiar with the Bible, it doesn’t mean that we have known the Lord, much less that we can fathom God’s work. For example, we learn from the Bible that the Lord Jesus was crucified to redeem all mankind, but we have no idea why God became flesh to carry out His work, nor do we have true knowledge of the Lord’s identity and essence. We believe in the Lord Jesus only on our lips, acknowledging He is wonderful and unfathomable, but we always constrain the Lord’s work within the Bible without realizing that His work is actually not restricted by the Bible. Based on the fact that the Lord Jesus redeemed all mankind through crucifixion and the disposition He revealed is love and compassion, we then conclude that God is a God who will forever be loving and merciful and be nailed to the cross for man. If the Lord’s work goes beyond our knowledge, then He will no longer be our Lord Jesus. As such, instead of saying we believe in the Lord Jesus, it’s better to say we have defined God as a puppet and are worshiping an idol. … We measure God with our thoughts and notions. It’s just like looking at the entire world from the bottom of a well.

Don’t forget that we are creatures of God. How can we fathom the Creator’s wonderful deeds? We are just like the frog in the well, if we want to see the world outside the well, we have to jump out of it; if we want to truly know God, we must get rid of our own imaginations and notions, put aside ourselves, and deny ourselves, only thus can we obtain the enlightenment and illumination of the Holy Spirit and come to know more about God’s work.

Welcome

The new light, the enlightenment and illumination of the Holy Spirit, you speak of...it should not contradict what the Bible is teaching...correct?

In other words, would God reveal something new to me that is contrary to what He has already revealed?

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome

The new light, the enlightenment and illumination of the Holy Spirit, you speak of...it should not contradict what the Bible is teaching...correct?

In other words, would God reveal something new to me that is contrary to what He has already revealed?

Stranger
No, He wouldn't. But, does that mean that you (we) have understood and perceived everything that He has already revealed?

It seems God had to speak through prophets, Apostles and disciples, and even send Jesus to show us all number of things that had previously been revealed in Scripture.... but that whole nations, races and generations of men had totally missed.

To declare that something that we previously missed, being revealed in a "new" or different way today, is heresy or to be ignored..... (not that you did)..... very possibly might be yet another case of God trying to open the eyes of slumbering men.

Yes, everything has been revealed, but I can guarantee you that we humans have NOT understood it all.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen...interesting thread :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, He wouldn't. But, does that mean that you (we) have understood and perceived everything that He has already revealed?

It seems God had to speak through prophets, Apostles and disciples, and even send Jesus to show us all number of things that had previously been revealed in Scripture.... but that whole nations, races and generations of men had totally missed.

To declare that something that we previously missed, being revealed in a "new" or different way today, is heresy or to be ignored..... (not that you did)..... very possibly might be yet another case of God trying to open the eyes of slumbering men.

Yes, everything has been revealed, but I can guarantee you that we humans have NOT understood it all.

I don't believe 'everythng' has been revealed. But 'everything' God wants us to know at this time has been revealed. (Deut. 29:29) "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."

I believe that all God wants us to know at this time is found in His revelation in the Bible. Of course, we are always learning and understanding more as we study the Bible. We are building upon our knowledge. But any insight, revelation, or new light we may receive, will never contradict what God has already revealed.

If it does, then we should question it. You don't have to disregard it immediately. But, question it. Does it line up with the Bible. Am I mistaken in what I believe the Bible is saying at this point? The one receiving new light should be able to show how it is in harmony with God's previous revelation...the Bible.

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe 'everythng' has been revealed. But 'everything' God wants us to know at this time has been revealed. (Deut. 29:29) "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law."

I believe that all God wants us to know at this time is found in His revelation in the Bible. Of course, we are always learning and understanding more as we study the Bible. We are building upon our knowledge. But any insight, revelation, or new light we may receive, will never contradict what God has already revealed.

If it does, then we should question it. You don't have to disregard it immediately. But, question it. Does it line up with the Bible. Am I mistaken in what I believe the Bible is saying at this point? The one receiving new light should be able to show how it is in harmony with God's previous revelation...the Bible.

Stranger
The sentence I bolded certainly does seem to get right to the heart of this whole question, doesn't it? Each of us, many of whom believe differently than the others, are equally certain and sure that we know what we think we know about the Scriptures....……. while God probably sighs and slowly shakes His head at all of us.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The sentence I bolded certainly does seem to get right to the heart of this whole question, doesn't it? Each of us, many of whom believe differently than the others, are equally certain and sure that we know what we think we know about the Scriptures....……. while God probably sighs and slowly shakes His head at all of us.

Ok, so, if I come to you and say the Spirit of God has told me that salvation is not always dependent on Jesus Christ, and that God loves everyone and so all will be saved. It is the love of God that saves us. And God loves everybody. Thus all are saved. God loves the muslims. He loves the atheists. He loves us all. So this so called 'must believe in Jesus stuff' is really something God just shakes His head at.

So, at who is God sighing and slowly shaking His head at?

Stranger

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, so, if I come to you and say the Spirit of God has told me that salvation is not always dependent on Jesus Christ, and that God loves everyone and so all will be saved. It is the love of God that saves us. And God loves everybody. Thus all are saved. God loves the muslims. He loves the atheists. He loves us all. So this so called 'must believe in Jesus stuff' is really something God just shakes His head at.

So, at who is God sighing and slowly shaking His head at?

Stranger
If you are through knocking down the strawman you stood up for that purpose, we can discuss real-world things if you want. We both know that plenty of people don't see dozens of scriptures the same, and both sides are equally valid in their understanding of how they see those Scriptures. (The notion of a rapture would be one. Actual stars hitting Earth to selectively contaminate 1/3 of the drinking water would be another)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are through knocking down the strawman you stood up for that purpose, we can discuss real-world things if you want. We both know that plenty of people don't see dozens of scriptures the same, and both sides are equally valid in their understanding of how they see those Scriptures. (The notion of a rapture would be one. Actual stars hitting Earth to selectively contaminate 1/3 of the drinking water would be another)

You built the straw man of God shaking His head at everyone. Not me. If you don't want questions about your straw man, then don't make one.

Stranger