Dream Interpretation - Is it New Age?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While it true that the revelation comes through the Holy Spirit, people on both sides or even more than two sides will claim to be led by the Holy Spirit. Then alone comes someone like our good friend @Marymog to ask how one is to know which one of them, if any, is right. People will certainly then argue over who has the Holy Spirit leading them and who does not. Who is pleasing God? Who is coming up short?

"The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.
They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one." Psalm 14:2-3

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written..." Rom 3:4

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Rom 3:23

And the winner is...?

"And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner" Luke 18:13

"Who hath ears to hear, let him hear." Matt 13:9
Exactly....so the merry-go-round of different doctrines of beliefs and interpretations of what scripture is saying never stops going around and around and around.
Reminds me of this song by Kacey Musgraves:
If you ain't got two kids by 21, you're probably gonna die alone.
At least that's what tradition told you.
And it don't matter if you don't believe, come Sunday morning
You best be there in the front row like you're supposed to.

Same hurt in every heart.
Same trailer, different park.

Mama's hooked on Mary Kay.
Brother's hooked on Mary Jane
Daddy's hooked on Mary two doors down.
Mary, Mary quite contrary.
We get bored, so, we get married
Just like dust, we settle in this town.
On this broken merry go 'round and 'round and 'round we go
Where it stops nobody knows
And it ain't slowin' down
This merry go 'round.

The meaning behind this song is we continue to follow traditions and nothing ever changes.......

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly....so the merry-go-round of different doctrines of beliefs and interpretations of what scripture is saying never stops going around and around and around.
Reminds me of this song by Kacey Musgraves:
If you ain't got two kids by 21, you're probably gonna die alone.
At least that's what tradition told you.
And it don't matter if you don't believe, come Sunday morning
You best be there in the front row like you're supposed to.

Same hurt in every heart.
Same trailer, different park.

Mama's hooked on Mary Kay.
Brother's hooked on Mary Jane
Daddy's hooked on Mary two doors down.
Mary, Mary quite contrary.
We get bored, so, we get married
Just like dust, we settle in this town.
On this broken merry go 'round and 'round and 'round we go
Where it stops nobody knows
And it ain't slowin' down
This merry go 'round.

The meaning behind this song is we continue to follow traditions and nothing ever changes.......

"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Ecc 1:9

This is how it is in the world, for certain, but God did provide a better way. When we see the same things happening so often here on a supposedly Christian forum, should we suggest that someone, or everyone, has missed a turned in the road? Every one is right... or so they say:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes..."

"... but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

Are we all paying close attention?

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Ecc 1:9

This is how it is in the world, for certain, but God did provide a better way. When we see the same things happening so often here on a supposedly Christian forum, should we suggest that someone, or everyone, has missed a turned in the road? Every one is right... or so they say:

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes..."

"... but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

Are we all paying close attention?
Maybe I should bring back the thread about the levels of truth that sets us free....it was what the Holy Spirit showed me when I was new here and how I would get so angry and frustrated when I was attacked for sharing what I believe...and that caused me to leave for awhile and get my attitude right through prayers....that is when the Holy Spirit showed me that we are on different levels of truth....and that's when I began to agree to disagree but still be at peace with whatever the topic was.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe I should bring back the thread about the levels of truth that sets us free....it was what the Holy Spirit showed me when I was new here and how I would get so angry and frustrated when I was attacked for sharing what I believe...and that caused me to leave for awhile and get my attitude right through prayers....that is when the Holy Spirit showed me that we are on different levels of truth....and that's when I began to agree to disagree but still be at peace with whatever the topic was.
Certainly I believe that different persons being different parts of the Body of Christ have different functions as well as being at different places along the road set before them... But a vision [of what?] is needed so as not to perish even if it is still some distance from being face to face. If we are all moving toward that completion in Him with Him as our Head, should not new little glimmers be showing up for each of us now and again? Some people apparently do not even know that they should have a "vision"... If they want to call it "picture" or something else that's OK as well... How many reading this post do not have a clue as to what I am talking about? Help us dear Lord!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly I believe that different persons being different parts of the Body of Christ have different functions as well as being at different places along the road set before them... But a vision [of what?] is needed so as not to perish even if it is still some distance from being face to face. If we are all moving toward that completion in Him with Him as our Head, should not new little glimmers be showing up for each of us now and again? Some people apparently do not even know that they should have a "vision"... If they want to call it "picture" or something else that's OK as well... How many reading this post do not have a clue as to what I am talking about? Help us dear Lord!
And that is what the Holy Spirit promised to do....to guide and teach us all truth....but we have to allow ourselves to be led of His Spirit...and that is where I wonder if some of the stuff is carnal or spiritual...well I know which is which.....but even I have much to learn...AND UNLEARN...lol

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that is what the Holy Spirit promised to do....to guide and teach us all truth....but we have to allow ourselves to be led of His Spirit...and that is where I wonder if some of the stuff is carnal or spiritual...well I know which is which.....but even I have much to learn...AND UNLEARN...lol
We all have much to learn...and UNLEARN. We need to learn to submit to Him and follow as He leads.

God does have an order. He showed Moses the detailed pattern, but Moses did not build the tabernacle in the wilderness all by himself.

We have copies of the Book, which might have at least an outline, if not a blueprint, of our detailed pattern. Can we see with understanding His order and implement it correctly all by ourselves? Moses had two gifted artisans provided by God to read the blueprints and lead the way. We have the ministers as per Eph 4:11ff and we have the Holy Spirit as per John 14:26. So then let us proceed one step at the time as He leads us, not sitting back on our duffels waiting for what? Help us dear Lord!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Heart2Soul In Romans 8 it's by the Spirit that the true believer cries 'Abba, Father', being led by the Spirit.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul In Romans 8 it's by the Spirit that the true believer cries 'Abba, Father', being led by the Spirit.
And that is who He is to me....my Abba, Father....I have never had an earthly father so to even have a Father and the best Father of all! My joy was complete.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
John 17.17

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
And that is who He is to me....my Abba, Father....I have never had an earthly father so to even have a Father and the best Father of all! My joy was complete.
@Heart2Soul Thought you would appreciate these lines by G V Wigram:

'What raised the wond'rous thought
Or who did it suggest
That blood-bought souls to glory brought
Should with the Son be blessed?

Father, the thought was Thine,
And Thine alone could be,
Fruit of the wisdom, love Divine
Peculiar unto Thee.'

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you remember an angel spoke to Joseph in a dream and said do not be afraid to take Mary as his wife.
So your 2 reasons are not applicable here...the truth is God's is infallible...it say what it means and means what it says.
Who told you that those were the only reason for dreams?
Here's the problem....most people have been taught by other people what the meaning of His Scriptures intended to say. And at this time having over 40k Christian denominations teaching their meaning of scripture is the cause for so much confusion in the faith.

My reason, Of being told about a specific thing would apply.
In saying that God speaks commonly to people through dreams etc, you then open the door to the question.

What is God saying to me in this dream?

What does God want of people? To become Christians and to serve him.
Like in the armed forces, the General in Chief/supreme commander does not issue order to ever person in the armed forces. He uses standinging order which are interpreted by the officers.
So if you serve in the army, a general doesn't become and wake you up or tell you what to do.
It is all laid out in the armies,air force,navy Bible of standing orders.

We have standing orders it is called the Bible.
The Bible gives us the information we need to serve God.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My reason, Of being told about a specific thing would apply.
In saying that God speaks commonly to people through dreams etc, you then open the door to the question.

What is God saying to me in this dream?

What does God want of people? To become Christians and to serve him.
Like in the armed forces, the General in Chief/supreme commander does not issue order to ever person in the armed forces. He uses standinging order which are interpreted by the officers.
So if you serve in the army, a general doesn't become and wake you up or tell you what to do.
It is all laid out in the armies,air force,navy Bible of standing orders.

We have standing orders it is called the Bible.
The Bible gives us the information we need to serve God.

This is all good in everyday application of life....but when there is definitive message God is trying to give you sometimes He speaks through dreams, the Holy Spirit, His written Word, His spoken Word and through those He sends to be His vessel to speak through.....
And I tell you for a fact it doesn't happen that frequently....how many dreams have you seen mentioned in the Bible...

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is all good in everyday application of life....but when there is definitive message God is trying to give you sometimes He speaks through dreams, the Holy Spirit, His written Word, His spoken Word and through those He sends to be His vessel to speak through.....
And I tell you for a fact it doesn't happen that frequently....how many dreams have you seen mentioned in the Bible...

You are saying what I first said.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Thought you would appreciate these lines by G V Wigram:

'What raised the wond'rous thought
Or who did it suggest
That blood-bought souls to glory brought
Should with the Son be blessed?

Father, the thought was Thine,
And Thine alone could be,
Fruit of the wisdom, love Divine
Peculiar unto Thee.'
Beautiful!

Reactions: farouk

Answer man

Mar 8, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In both the New and Old testaments dreams were given by God. Interpretations were also given by God. With modern psychology; it is possible to interpret dreams; but consider the source. Not all degreed psychologists have wisdom and understanding. In fact, most don’t.