Drinking Alcohol, should a Christian do it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So were you still saved during the 5 years you were still getting drunk?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are free to do whatever they can get away with.

But human history is a slow realization that God really means what He says, regardless of our attempts to twist His word to suit our wants and traditions.

Science is catching up to the fact that we can't consume whatever we please and expect to enjoy good health, both mental and physical which, if preserved well, will prove to be extremely helpful in being able to love and serve God and man.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These passages do say it's wrong to drink, so it's OK to just not pay attention to passages that we don't like?
No, but context is important. Most of those passages were commanded on people back a very long time ago like not eating pork and sacrificing animals to be forgiven of sins. You can decide if they're relevant for today. And it would appear Jesus and his apostles ignored them. Hmmm, well, keep studying the bible then.

John the Baptist might have become an alcoholic had he started drinking. As some people can't handle things like that. We just don't know why probably with John.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No the bible doesn't address drugs of that nature. If it has medicinal value then it might be OK as the bible does support things that are medicinal in nature.

It's a good point you make about medicine. People like to make hard and fast rules so they can excuse themselves from making tough decisions on a day-to-day basis. I'd probably take a swig or two of Gin if my leg was getting amputated and there was no anesthesia available—maybe a little more. I'd most likely be devoid of any ill effects within a few days. That would be a slippery slope to a drinking problem to some folks' way of thinking.

I would definitely avoid using medicines that intoxicate or irritate for extended periods, though.

My doctor keeps trying to get me on beta blockers for my occasional tachycardia, but I know what they do to pineal melatonin production so I'm sticking to natural remedies. My mom took them so she also had to take something to help her sleep, which will render someone unconscious but doesn't replace the restorative sleep that melatonin provides. By the time she passed away, the med cocktail she was taking had pretty much destroyed her liver and kidneys.

• Sad
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a good point you make about medicine. People like to make hard and fast rules so they can excuse themselves from making tough decisions on a day-to-day basis. I'd probably take a swig or two of Gin if my leg was getting amputated and there was no anesthesia available—maybe a little more. I'd most likely be devoid of any ill effects within a few days. That would be a slippery slope to a drinking problem to some folks' way of thinking.

I would definitely avoid using medicines that intoxicate or irritate for extended periods, though.

My doctor keeps trying to get me on beta blockers for my occasional tachycardia, but I know what they do to pineal melatonin production so I'm sticking to natural remedies. My mom took them so she also had to take something to help her sleep, which will render someone unconscious but doesn't replace the restorative sleep that melatonin provides. By the time she passed away, the med cocktail she was taking had pretty much destroyed her liver and kidneys.

I wouldn't take beta blockers again. I had to take them for a while and I'm glad I don't have to anymore. Sorry to hear about your Mom. When people get older doctors tend to over medicate even more. Knowing end of life is near. But it sounds like her kidneys and liver couldn't handle the meds. :(

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People are free to do whatever they can get away with.

But human history is a slow realization that God really means what He says, regardless of our attempts to twist His word to suit our wants and traditions.

Science is catching up to the fact that we can't consume whatever we please and expect to enjoy good health, both mental and physical which, if preserved well, will prove to be extremely helpful in being able to love and serve God and man.

Very true, God knows what is good for us which science is confirming...

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who says that? And 'they' say a lot of stuff is ok that is unwise for a true Christian to dabble in.

Apparently many within the medical science community are saying weed is beneficial to our health.

It's a good thing all future sins have already been forgiven for true Christians right?

I think so too so I'm ready to put him on my ignore list.

Hey, I'm just going by what my pastor told me and what I'm hearing other preachers say.

It's not my fault other have opposing views that claim you have to stop certain things in your life before you can be saved.

And have the stuff people are saying they don't show what bible passages they think back up what they believe