Drinking Alcohol, should a Christian do it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got saved in a baptist church so I think they are southern baptist about 3 years ago.

When they do communion they use welches grape juice so no alcohol at my church
Your denomination may make a substitution with grape juice. However, my question was about the ritual that Jesus initiated which ushered in the New Covenant; doesn't the sacrement of communion - as established by Jesus - contain alcohol (wine)?

I found a compelling website on how modern Christians find sin in what our lord ordained. Characters like John Calvin brewed beer and was known to keep many gasks.

Jesus. Drink this (wine) in memory of me.

God even commands the Israelites to go buy beer and celebrate before the Lord (Deuteronomy 14:26).

Two Common Misconceptions About Alcohol In The Bible

Lower Alcohol Content

we know from the Bible that the wine still had plenty of kick in it to get wasted on. That’s why Jesus was accused of being drunk on wine (Luke 7:34). And that’s why the Bible warns against getting drunk on wine.

Also, wine isn’t the only alcoholic drink mentioned in the Bible. The Bible also talks about a “strong drink” made with fermented barley, aka beer. This rudimentary beer contained an average ABV of 6% – 12%, not too shabby for a beer. And certainly not a low alcohol count.
Of course, the Bible strongly warns against the overconsumption of beer. But in moderation, it is encouraged.

The alcohol in the Bible did not have a lower alcohol content. We know this from what the Bible says and from historians who have studied alcohol during this time period.

It Hurts Your Witness (or testimony)

The vast majority of non-christians are not put off by drinking in western culture. But they are put off by arbitrary rules created by Christians. I doubt my unbelieving friends will ever be turned away from God because they see me sipping a beer. It might actually help your witness to have a beer with your neighbor and break down some of the misconceptions about Christianity.

For more, read 6 Truths About Alcohol in the Bible (is drinking a sin?)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God even commands the Israelites to go buy beer and celebrate before the Lord (Deuteronomy 14:26).

The “wine” and “strong drink” here referred to were both fermented. In times past God often “winked” at gross “ignorance” responsible for practices He could never approve. But eventually the time comes when, on each point, God “commandeth all men every where to repent” (Acts 17:30). Then those who persist in their practices in spite of counsel and warning, no longer have a “cloke for their sin” (John 15:22). Prior to that time “they had not had sin” and God did not hold them wholly accountable, even though their deeds were far short of the ideal. His long-suffering is extended to all who “know not what they do” (Luke 23:34). Like Paul, who persecuted the church “ignorantly in unbelief,” they may obtain mercy (1 Tim. 1:13).

In olden times God suffered the Israelites to have slaves, but protected the slaves against injustice (Ex. 21:16, 20). Even in the Christian church slavery was not immediately abolished, but masters were instructed to deal kindly with their slaves (Eph. 6:9; Col. 4:1).

In a similar way, God never approved of the practice of divorce or the keeping of a plurality of wives. “From the beginning it was not so” (Matt. 19:8). But, for a time, God suffered it, and gave instructions designed to safeguard the rights of women, to mitigate the suffering that resulted from these practices, and to protect the marriage relationship from grosser abuse (Ex. 21 :7— 1 1 ; Deut. 21:10-17). Whereas on the one hand God did not forbid Abraham, for instance, to take a second wife, Hagar, on the other hand He did not protect him from the evils that resulted from such a course of action.

God gave Moses laws designed, not directly to abolish polygamy, but to discourage it (Lev. 18:18; Deut. 17:17), to restrict divorce (Deut. 22:19, 29; 24:1), and to elevate the standard of married life (Ex. 20:14, 17; Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22). Christ made it clear that the OT provisions for a plurality of wives and for divorce were not ideal, but, rather a temporary expedient God suffered to be “because of the hardness of your hearts” (Matt. 19:4-8). Christ pointed to God’s ideal for Christian homes (Matt. 19:9), which has ever been monogamy (Matt. 19:4-6; 1 Tim. 3:2; Titus 1:6). The Christian need not be in doubt as to God’s will in these matters, and is therefore without even the limited excuse men had in OT times.

Thus it was with “wine” and “strong drink.” Neither was strictly prohibited, except to those engaged in religious duties, and perhaps also in the administration of justice (Lev. 10:9; Prov. 31:4, 5). The evils of “wine” and “strong drink” were clearly pointed out, the people counseled to refrainfrom them (Prov. 20:1; 23:29-33), and a curse pronounced upon those who should entice others to overindulgence in drink (Hab. 2:15). But Paul sets before us the ideal by declaring, “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God” (1 Cor. 10:31), and warns that God will destroy those who defile their bodies (1 Cor. 3:16, 17). Intoxicants “defile the temple of God,” and their use cannot be considered a means of glorifying Him (1 Cor. 6:19, 20; 10:31). Paul abandoned the use of everything harmful to the body (1 Cor. 9:27). There is no excuse today for the argument that there is nothing intrinsically wrong in the use of intoxicants, on the basis that God once permitted them. As already noted, He also once permitted such practices as slavery and polygamy. The Bible warns that “drunkards” will not “inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Cor. 6:10).

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In times past God often “winked” at gross “ignorance” responsible for practices He could never approve. But eventually the time comes when, on each point, God “commandeth all men every where to repent” (Acts 17:30).
God is morally ambiguous? He did not merely approve but commanded drinking alchohol in Deuteronomy 14:26. Not sure what "winking" your eisegesis is referring to.

No where is drinking alchohol identified in Scripture as a sin. No where. Getting drunk is condemned but not the mere consumption of alcohol. Not sure what ignorance you are referring to other than the ignoring of what is not in Scripture.

If drinking wine was a sin, Jesus ministry would not be book ended by alcohol. His first miracle was to make wine from water. And his last supper was to establish the sacrement of drinking wine in memory of him. An inconvenient truth to the alcohol-is-a-sin crusaders.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Drinking Alcohol, should a Christian do it?

Should a “Christian” drink alcohol?

Sure…Like with all things consider moderation.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no shortage of scientific evidence that alcohol consumption in the smallest doses destroys health. The fact that God has given us varyingly forgiving constitutions doesn't change the fact that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. People will find justification for even the grossest of sins in the Bible. The evidence for abstinence from alcohol is stronger than that which appears to condone it. I'm aware of all the appeals to Scripture to support its free use. My practice is to advise against heeding them and, instead, to look for the pleasures at His right hand rather than to see what I can get away with. Alcohol is a killer; God gives life, and that more abundantly.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In olden times God suffered the Israelites to have slaves
This is another example of eisegesis. Nothing in Scripture says anything like that; that God suffered the Israelites to have slaves. Slavery existed in the Judeo-Christian world using the Bible to justify the practice.

If you read Genesis, specifically the rise of Joseph to power, you'll see it is the people who offered themselves as slaves as an alternative to dying.

In the early part of the the colonization of America, many immigrants sold themselves to the ship captain - for a period of years - since they had no other means to pay.

The oldest profession is another example of people voluntarily selling themselves as an alternative to death.

Slavery is simply an economic system that works. It works especially in bad economic times when all other systems fail. See US debt and the impending collapse of the US dollar. And the Bible is ambiguous to favorable about it and certainly not opposed to it, in principle.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In a similar way, God never approved of the practice of divorce or the keeping of a plurality of wives. “From the beginning it was not so” (Matt. 19:8). But, for a time, God suffered it,
There you go again. Ever hear of the word "tacit?" Tacit approval is more than merely "suffering" it's practice.

Divorce and multiple wives emerged in the crucible of experience. A system void of it does not work in extreme scenarios. Let's keep it real!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ made it clear that the OT provisions for a plurality of wives and for divorce were not ideal, but, rather a temporary expedient God suffered to be “because of the hardness of your hearts” (Matt. 19:4-8).
You cannot acknowledge we live in a fallen world AND suppose we must live strictly to an ideal that we have no practical way of achieving in practice.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no shortage of scientific evidence that alcohol consumption in the smallest doses destroys health.
Moving the goal posts ... From What are the benefits of drinking red wine?

Red wine has been part of social, religious, and cultural events for centuries. In the past, people have theorizedTrusted Source that red wine benefits health, particularly alongside a balanced diet.​
In recent years, science has indicated that there could be truth in these claims.​
Although there are no official recommendations around these benefits, a 2018 studyTrusted Source notes that drinking red wine in moderation has positive links with:​
Learn more about drinking in moderation.​

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did not merely approve but commanded drinking alchohol in Deuteronomy 14:26

Think it's a sin to not go to happy hour at your neighborhood bar!

Should a “Christian” drink alcohol?

Sure…Like with all things consider moderation.

Christians can smoke weed too if they do it in moderation then.

Again, you are confusing God not prohibiting it with commanding it. Do what in memory of me? Drink wine.

How do you know He was not talking about fresh wine? Wine that was made fresh not having had time to become alcohol?

Like where did the Lord say "make sure it has alcohol in it"?

Dan Clarkston

Dec 16, 2023
Denver Colorado
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Words. Definitions. By definition, wine is an alcoholic drink. See post # 61.

I don't think so. I read a paper where they said the word wine itself does not denote alcoholic or not and simple means it's fruit of the vine.

When fresh wine is made and it hasn't fermented yet to have any alcohol in it - it's still wine and has no alcohol.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In a solution of 99% water (which is extremely healthful) and 1% arsenic, the benefits of water don't do much good.

Is there really a need for so much protest if you are right? It's been my experience that you do not tolerate opposition well. It didn't take long for you to accuse me of undue manipulation. Careful you don't emulate the late, great TinMan.

We do as we will, if we dare. Or, we submit our own wills to God. His will is every man's to seek and determine. I'm just a seed sower.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so. I read a paper where they said the word wine itself does not denote alcoholic or not and simple means it's fruit of the vine.
Nonsense. Trying to change the definition. Also, the Bible only warns against over drinking because it had alcohol in it and why Jesus was accused of being a drunk - it was known he drank alcohol in the form of wine. Luke 7:34.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not free, you pay with your soul.

The heart is deceitful, so it is good to test your motivations. One must always love God and Neighbor in that order. Care to test the test?
exactly my friend . that was the entire point . yes indeed . the cost is THE SOUL indeed .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there really a need for so much protest if you are right?
Huh? If you are wrong, is there a need to pressure those who are speaking the truth about the holy use of alcohol to shut up and let the lie have a better chance of being accepted as true?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nonsense. Trying to change the definition. Also, the Bible only warns against over drinking because it had alcohol in it and why Jesus was accused of being a drunk - it was known he drank alcohol in the form of wine. Luke 7:34.

Jesus was and is perfectly virtuous and never engaged in any consumption of poison.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Huh? If you are wrong, is there a need to pressure those who are speaking the truth about the holy use of alcohol to shut up and let the lie have a better chance of being accepted as true?

Do you feel pressured?