Dualism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

jig,
What is the reason for repentance?

That doesn't answer the question where does it say they asked to be forgiven?
Ahhh so we are only to forgive those who ask us to forgive them ehh, I would be interested in the scriptures that support your opinion.

Disciple

Soldiers United 4 Christ
Feb 3, 2011
Dallas Tx
Thanks I got some good info from the thread.

Thanks I got some good info from the thread. Reminds me of the scripture.. 'Greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world..'

God deserves all the glory and fear!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
They didn't ask me they asked God. He knows their hearts.

Where's the scriptures to support it? Or is it just your speculation?
smile.gif

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Where's the scriptures to support it? Or is it just your speculation?
smile.gif

Were they forgiven?
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Were they forgiven?
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What is the context of the scripture you quoted?

My question was concerning your implication that Christ only forgives those who ask Him.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
What is the context of the scripture you quoted?

My question was concerning your implication that Christ only forgives those who ask Him.

Read it yourself:

1Jn 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
1Jn 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
1Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
1Jn 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
1Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Does a sinner need to repent?

Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luk 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Read it yourself:

1Jn 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
1Jn 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
1Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
1Jn 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
1Jn 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
1Jn 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
1Jn 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jn 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

So where does it say He only forgives those that ask to be forgiven? I don't see in this context where anyone asked for forgiveness. Confessing sin is an admission and not a request for forgiveness.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
So where does it say He only forgives those that ask to be forgiven? I don't see in this context where anyone asked for forgiveness. Confessing sin is an admission and not a request for forgiveness.

Maybe someday you will see.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Maybe someday you will see.

Some scriptures that state "Jesus only forgives those that ask for it" would help me tremendously.
smile.gif

Whatcha think about this scripture?

Finally, they came to a place called The Skull. [fn] All three were crucified there--Jesus on the center cross, and the two criminals on either side. Jesus said, "Father, forgive these people, because they don't know what they are doing." [fn] And the soldiers gambled for his clothes by throwing dice.Luke 23:33&34

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Some scriptures that state "Jesus only forgives those that ask for it" would help me tremendously.
smile.gif

Whatcha think about this scripture?

Finally, they came to a place called The Skull. [fn] All three were crucified there--Jesus on the center cross, and the two criminals on either side. Jesus said, "Father, forgive these people, because they don't know what they are doing." [fn] And the soldiers gambled for his clothes by throwing dice.Luke 23:33&34

Forgiveness was available for all, just as grace is available for all that does not mean all will accept the gift.
I challenge you to do a word study on the word repent and repentance.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Forgiveness was available for all, just as grace is available for all that does not mean all will accept the gift.
I challenge you to do a word study on the word repent and repentance.

So if someone does you wrong and you forgive them and they don't receive it, are they unforgiven?

Concerning your challenge, is there a particular scripture reference containing repent?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
My part is done.

There is a number of them. Look up repentance also.

Not sure, what exactly was your part?

I have done the word study on metanoeō some years ago. It means to change the way you think. Checked again but didn't see anything about asking for forgiveness mentioned in connection with the word.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So if someone does you wrong and you forgive them and they don't receive it, are they unforgiven?

Yes, they are unforgiven.

The same is true for God. If His forgiveness is not accepted/received, then the sinner remains unforgiven.

The whole sin - forgiveness thing is a two way street. It is an interaction between two individuals.