Dwelling of the Holy Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(setfree;29964)
Don't get me wrong, I believe in speaking in tongues(languages unlearned by the speaker). I did not understand it to be if you did not, then you did not have the Holy Spirit in you.
That is absoutly not true and only a tongue speaker will say that Christ never says that we are SAVED BY GRACE upon acceptance and repentaance thats what God tells uswether you believe in tongues or not to limit Gods holy spirit to only thosespeaking babble is a lie of Satan if it were true God would have told us Christ would have preached it The Holy spirit came on Christ in the form of a dove did he start babbling??Speaking in a unknown tongue is no proof of anything the evidence of the Holy spirit is if it is understood by the those hearingread ActsIf it were true why did this not happen until the Pencoastal modern movement God spoke to manyBible characters did Abraham or Moses or any one speak of this ???Did Peter or John ??? No only Paul spoke of foreign languages. If this were evidence of the Holy spirit dont you think someelse would have mentioned it

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
(kriss;30069)
That is absoutly not true and only a tongue speaker will say that Christ never says that we are SAVED BY GRACE upon acceptance and repentaance thats what God tells uswether you believe in tongues or not to limit Gods holy spirit to only thosespeaking babble is a lie of Satan if it were true God would have told us Christ would have preached it The Holy spirit came on Christ in the form of a dove did he start babbling??Speaking in a unknown tongue is no proof of anything the evidence of the Holy spirit is if it is understood by the those hearingread ActsIf it were true why did this not happen until the Pencoastal modern movement God spoke to manyBible characters did Abraham or Moses or any one speak of this ???Did Peter or John ??? No only Paul spoke of foreign languages. If this were evidence of the Holy spirit dont you think someelse would have mentioned it
Kriss I don't know if you read my post but I questioned the signs of tongues as being evidence. I believe in the gift of tongues, It is in the Bible! I just do not see it as being a proof of salvation.As far as tongues in history if you will study this, alot of it was going on. I understand the Holy Spirit worked different before Jesus died on the cross.Why would Jesus speak in tongues? He had the Holy SPirit without measure.

Agape

Dec 24, 2007
(JIP;29983)
Hi Agape,I was talking about this spirit.The separation of the Body, Soul, and Spirit has to be seen and kept separate for the Word separates them. (1 Thes 5:23, and Heb 4:12).1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus ChristHebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.Spirit, Heb. Rauch. The Gr. Pneuma. The primary meaning for both these words is “invisible force”. The spirit of man is the intellect, will, mind, conscience, and other invisible faculties that make him a free moral agent and a rational being. Both soul and spirit of man are immortal. They are so closely related that it is hard to distinguish the finest details of difference between them, but there is a difference. This is clear from 1Th.5:23; Heb.4:12. In general we can say that the spirit is that which knows (1Cor.2:11),and the soul is that which feels (Job 14:22 But his flesh upon him shall have pain, and his soul within him shall mourn.). Both makes the inner man which leaves the body at death ( James 2:26). James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.Soul, Gr. Psuche, life, soul or spiritual part in contrast to the material body; a departed soul; also the spirit which still retains the shape and size of its living owner; the seat of the desires; feelings, passions, appetites and emotions. Psuche is the only word translated soul- 58 times, life- 40 times, mind-3 times, and heart, heartily, us and you once each. in the NT. The example we have is at the time of Jesus’ death. 1. He yielded His Spirit to the Father(Luke 23:46, Eccl 12:7, Acts 7:59)2. His Soul went to Hades (Acts 2:27)3. His Body was in the tomb (Matt 27:57-61) This separation continued until the Spirit and Soul reentered the body at His resurrection.So Agape its this spirit I am confused about now. How do i segregate this spirit to do the works i want as said in the bible.Be Blessed AlwaysJIP
Hi JIP,You are referring to the "spirit of man." The verses you use address the "Spirit of God." He formed the body of man (Genesis 2:7); He made the soul of man (Genesis 2:7); and God created man in His image which is spirit (Genesis 1:27 and John 4:24).The soul life is the "breath of life" of man (Genesis 2:7); and the life of the soul is in the blood (Leviticus 17:11). A man of body and soul is called in the Bible the "natural man," the man of the flesh, the carnal man. The soul is also called the "spirit of man" for the soul is physical life and is frequently referred to as "spirit" in its generic usage.*All life is spirit, but not all life is eternal-life spirit. Soul life is spirit, but not eternal. But the spirit from God in a man is eternal-life spirit. Soul life is the spirit of man which is passed on of ovum fertilization, which event begins the life of a new organism, the end result being an offspring. Soul is attested to by breathing. When breathing ceases soul life is no more.Rather than to explain it all here, this morning I posted more on this subject which addresses your post above. If you are interested, you can find it at the following link, p. 7:[url="http://www.christianityboard.com/can-saints-see-whats-going-t5057p7.html]http://www.christianityboard.com/can-saint...ng-t5057p7.html[/url]Love you in Christ Agape

Nov 8, 2007
(setfree;30074)
Kriss I don't know if you read my post but I questioned the signs of tongues as being evidence. I believe in the gift of tongues, It is in the Bible! I just do not see it as being a proof of salvation.As far as tongues in history if you will study this, alot of it was going on. I understand the Holy Spirit worked different before Jesus died on the cross.Why would Jesus speak in tongues? He had the Holy SPirit without measure.
That's what I'm saying Brother AMEN!

Agape

Dec 24, 2007
Originally Posted by setfree Kriss I don't know if you read my post but I questioned the signs of tongues as being evidence. I believe in the gift of tongues, It is in the Bible! I just do not see it as being a proof of salvation.
Dear setfree,Acts 2 teaches us that speaking in tongues is evidence of a person's salvation.:study: Acts 2:38; ". . . and ye shall receive [lambano, receive into manifestation] the gift of [from] the Holy Ghost [pneuma hagion]."*Peter's specific statement, "and ye shall receive" in this grammatical usage means, "and you shall [absolutely] receive [lambano, manifest, show forth in evidence] the gift of [from] the Holy Spirit [pneuma hagion] who is the Giver."*In other words, Peter said that the one who repents receives remission of sins, and he then should absolutely manifest, lambano, by speaking in tongues. This is what the apostles manifested on the day of Pentecost when they received the gift, holy spirit, from the Giver, Holy Spirit.*What was the evidence in the external senses world that the gift from the Holy Spirit had been received at Pentecost? The evidence was speaking in tongues On this occasion when Peter was preaching, the speaking in tongues was all Peter knew about as the evidence that follows when a person is born again and receives remission of sins.God bless you,Agape

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Agape;30244)
Dear setfree,Acts 2 teaches us that speaking in tongues is evidence of a person's salvation.:study: Acts 2:38; ". . . and ye shall receive [lambano, receive into manifestation] the gift of [from] the Holy Ghost [pneuma hagion]."*Peter's specific statement, "and ye shall receive" in this grammatical usage means, "and you shall [absolutely] receive [lambano, manifest, show forth in evidence] the gift of [from] the Holy Spirit [pneuma hagion] who is the Giver."*In other words, Peter said that the one who repents receives remission of sins, and he then should absolutely manifest, lambano, by speaking in tongues. This is what the apostles manifested on the day of Pentecost when they received the gift, holy spirit, from the Giver, Holy Spirit.*
"In other words???" In your words, not Peter's, you say that the gift was tongues and that our sins aren't forgiven unless we "absolutely manifest speaking in tongues." :naughty:Tongues #1100 ~ glossa. of uncer. aff; the tongue; by impl. a language (spec., one naturally unacquired): - tongueIt doesn't mean a language no one understands but is one you weren't born with....different languages. The Pentecostal tongue was understood by everyone there...everyone including foreigners. It is not an unknown language to those hearing that language but was unknown to the person speaking. Unknown in that they didn't know they could speak that language.
What was the evidence in the external senses world that the gift from the Holy Spirit had been received at Pentecost? The evidence was speaking in tongues On this occasion when Peter was preaching, the speaking in tongues was all Peter knew about as the evidence that follows when a person is born again and receives remission of sins.
You believe that tongues was "all Peter knew about" as far as the gifts God gave. There are more gifts than the ability to speak foreign languages and I would guess that Peter was aware of them too:1 Corinthians 12: Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.4.Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.8.For to one is given by the spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge, by the same spirit;9.To another faith, by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing, by the same Spirit;10.to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:11.But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will.When you state, "Acts 2 teaches us that speaking in tongues is evidence of a person's salvation," are you saying that without the speaking of tongues that the sins of those that don't babble are not forgiven? 1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.3.But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.4.He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.What is Paul saying? Don't teach in a language that those you are teaching don't understand unless you have an interpreter. To do so does no one any good....you edify yourself! ........Whirlwind

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
There is no unknown tongue in scripture. Christ spake not unknown tongue. He spake in the Hebrew tongue. That is good enough for me since Christ didn't do it. God want us rather to understand His words. Not dis-understanding.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Agape

Dec 24, 2007
(whirlwind;30248)
"In other words???" In your words, not Peter's, you say that the gift was tongues and that our sins aren't forgiven unless we "absolutely manifest speaking in tongues."
WhirlwindIs that what I said? :confused: Would you care to show where I said this? Hmmm....I wonder if you need glasses since you seem to have a problem reading my posts
rolleyes.gif

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
(Agape;30276)
WhirlwindIs that what I said? :confused: Would you care to show where I said this? Hmmm....I wonder if you need glasses since you seem to have a problem reading my posts
rolleyes.gif

I have no trouble reading your post. You are quite articulate but thank you for asking.I asked - When you state, "Acts 2 teaches us that speaking in tongues is evidence of a person's salvation," are you saying that without the speaking of tongues that the sins of those that don't babble are not forgiven? You stated -
In other words, Peter said that the one who repents receives remission of sins, and he then should absolutely manifest, lambano, by speaking in tongues. This is what the apostles manifested on the day of Pentecost when they received the gift, holy spirit, from the Giver, Holy Spirit.*
I replied - "In other words???" In your words, not Peter's, you say that the gift was tongues and that our sins aren't forgiven unless we "absolutely manifest speaking in tongues." You are misleading people. You imply that Peter stated that the "gift of tongues" is the gift and that "he should absolutely manifest by speaking in tongues." Peter did not say that....you did. You also implied that Peter wasn't aware of any other gift of the Holy Spirit. You also implied that your idea of "tongues" which I believe is babble, is what was spoken on Pentecost Day and it was not.Now, if I misunderstood and you didn't actually mean that, if you believe "tongues" is simply a language foreign to the speaker, if you didn't write that once we repent and receive salvation it is necessary to "absolutely manifest speaking in tongues" and imply that it was Peter that spoke those words.....then I will apologize.........Whirlwind

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
I believe that everyone that believes on the name of Jesus Christ recieves the Holy Spirit. I believe that everyone can speak in tongues. But in my case because I was taught that the gifts did not exist I did not speak in tongues until sometime later. I did not say I couldn't, I just didn't.Even though the Holy spirit enters you with his gifts to give as He wills. We still have to learn to walk in those gifts and use them with love. If I gave my son a BB gun and just handed it to him at five years old. He could do a lot of damage! So with the gifts the Holy Spirit is present to guide you into all truth.

Sasha

Jul 27, 2008
'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit (capital ‘S’ means the Spirit of God) says to the churches.'(Body of Christ, Believers, Christians)'Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him, and will dine with him, and he with Me.' Rev. 20 & 22 Read the whole chapter of course. But, remember, it’s the Spirit of God talking to believers, those who have accepted Christ as their Lord and Savior already. However, they still are not baptized with the Holy Spirit yet.Acts 19:1-6 And it came about that while Apollos was at Carinth, Paul having passed through the upper country came to Ephesus, and found some disciples,And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” And Paul asked, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they replied, “Into John’s baptism.” And Paul said “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus. And when they heard this, they were baptized in the name of Jusus. And then Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came into them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.” These men were saved and followers of Christ, still they did not have the Holy Spirit within them. However, they received the Holy Spirit by faith. The same faith it took to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savor. Matthew 3:11 John the Baptist said “As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but, He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.