Easter ? What are we celebrating?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, you have said it all - everything necessary, everything correct, it was the time of the yearly 'vernal equinox' right around the world. Many thanks. "'6:00 is NOT night during this time of year.'" 6:00 is sunset starting night then day "the fifteenth day of the First Month", "since it was on the sabbath great day of sabbath" of the Passover of Yahweh Saviour Creator in the year of our Lord Jesus' death.
CONTEXT is not your friend.

Once again, you are attempting to cherry-pick by pitting one verse of God's Word against another.
Go to your bookshelf and pull out the dustiest and most under-used book in your library - it's called a "Dictionary" - and look up the word "Context".

Now - read ALL of the verses pertaining to the burial of Jesus and you will see that the CONTEXT of what is being said here is that He is placed i the Tomb BEFORE the Sabbath - BEFORE Sunset (Matt. 27:57, 62-63, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:42).

NOW, read John 19:31, which states plainly the eagerness of the Jews to remove the bodies BEFORE THE SABBATH was to begin:
John 19:31
Since it was the DAY OF PREPARATION, and so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken and that they might be taken away.

Luke 23:55-56 states explicitly that Mary Magdalene and the other Mary (mother of James and Joseph) saw the body laid in the tomb, went home and prepared spices and perfumes - THEN rested for the Sabbath. Thy had to do ALL of this BEFORE sundown.

Finally - the eagerness of the Jews to bury Jesus on the SAME DAY of His death goes beyond the Sabbath - as it states in the Mosaic Law:
Deut. 21:22–23

“And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, his body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is accursed by God; you shall not defile your land which the Lord your God gives you for an inheritance.

CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT.
Without
it - your case is as pointless and impotent as a Conservative Democrat . . .

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right. Easter is an invention or a man-made teaching. Every part of Christ's life should be honored every day. :)
This video touches on the origins of Easter. Completely up to anyone to click or watch. :)
Not only was this nonsense debunked early on in this thread - you should run as FAR away as you can from cults like Iglesia Ni Cristo.

Like the Mormons and the JWs - this non-Trinitarian sect, invented in 1914,claims that ALL other Christian groups are "apostate"., rendering Christ's guarantee to His Church in Matt. 16:18 nothing short of a big, fat LIE.

If you want to see a sound debunking of their aberrant belief system - watch this video where Catholic apologist Jesse Romero completely shreds I.N.C. speaker Jose Ventilacion . . .

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Now - read ALL of the verses pertaining to the burial of Jesus and you will see that the CONTEXT of what is being said here is that He is placed i the Tomb BEFORE the Sabbath - BEFORE Sunset (Matt. 27:57, 62-63, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:42). … CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT.
Without
it - your case is as pointless and impotent as a Conservative Democrat . . .

The context of “‘Matt. 27:57’” is Thursday night “evening already come”;

the context of “‘Matt. 27:62-63’” is “the day which is after the Preparation” (Friday), the “morning” after the night before which began in Luke 23:56b when “the women started to rest the Sabbath”.

The context of “‘Mark 15:42’” corresponds with “‘Matt. 27:57’”, but not with “‘Luke 23:54’” or “‘John 19:42’” because it corresponds with its 'Joseph'-parallels Luke 23:50 not 54 and with John 19:31,38 not 41,42.

The context therefore of “‘what is being said here…’” in “‘Luke 23:54 John 19:42’”, “‘…is that He is placed i the Tomb BEFORE the Sabbath - BEFORE Sunset’” – NOT in “‘Matt. 27:57, 62-63, Mark 15:42’”.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of “‘Matt. 27:57’” is Thursday night “evening already come”;

the context of “‘Matt. 27:62-63’” is “the day which is after the Preparation” (Friday), the “morning” after the night before which began in Luke 23:56b when “the women started to rest the Sabbath”.

The context of “‘Mark 15:42’” corresponds with “‘Matt. 27:57’”, but not with “‘Luke 23:54’” or “‘John 19:42’” because it corresponds with the parallels Luke 23:50 not 54 and with John 19:31,38 not 41,42.

The context therefore of “‘what is being said here…’” in “‘Luke 23:54 John 19:42’”, “‘…is that He is placed i the Tomb BEFORE the Sabbath - BEFORE Sunset’” – NOT in “‘Matt. 27:57, 62-63, Mark 15:42’”.
WRONG.

The Day f Preparation is FRIDAY. The day AFTER Preparation is the SABBATH (Saturday).
The women left the Crucifixion, witnessed the Burial- THEN went home to prepare the spices and perfume - before resting for the Sabbath (John 19:31). Their rest BEGAN at sundown - NOT the next morning.

You are OUT of options because instead of reading God's Word in CONTEXT - you have chosen to cherry-pick and pit one verse against another.
As I warned you - that is a LOSING proposition . . .

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Finally - the eagerness of the Jews to bury Jesus on the SAME DAY of His death goes beyond the Sabbath - as it states in the Mosaic Law:
Deut. 21:22–23

“And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, his body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is accursed by God; you shall not defile your land which the Lord your God gives you for an inheritance.

You claim the Jews wanted the body buried "'on the SAME DAY of His death'"; Deuteronomy 21:22-23 claims on the day after "he is put to death". He is put to death, then hanged on a tree then stays hung on a tree, then his body shall not hang all night on the tree, then his body is taken off the tree "That Selfsame Night", "before sunrise", then buried "That Selfsame Day" before it would end sunset.
Exactly what happened with Jesus the Christ of God.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim the Jews wanted the body buried "'on the SAME DAY of His death'"; Deuteronomy 21:22-23 claims on the day after "he is put to death". He is put to death, then hanged on a tree then stays hung on a tree, then his body shall not hang all night on the tree, then his body is taken off the tree "That Selfsame Night", "before sunrise", then buried "That Selfsame Day" before it would end sunset.
Exactly what happened with Jesus the Christ of God.
Since you can’t seem to stop lying – and since it’s MY job to expose people like you who LIE – I’ll post the actual verses from Scripture so that you can’t double-talk your way out of this:

Deut. 21:22-23
“And if a man has committed a crime punishable by death and he is put to death, and you hang him on a tree, HIS BODY SHALL NOT REMAIN ALL NIGHT ON THE TREE, BUT YOU SHALL BURY HIM THE SAME DAY, for a hanged man is cursed by God. You shall not defile your land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.

Consider yourself taken out to the proverbial woodshed and Biblically-SPANKED . . .

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
WRONG.

The Day f Preparation is FRIDAY. The day AFTER Preparation is the SABBATH (Saturday).
The women left the Crucifixion, witnessed the Burial- THEN went home to prepare the spices and perfume - before resting for the Sabbath (John 19:31). Their rest BEGAN at sundown - NOT the next morning.

You are OUT of options because instead of reading God's Word in CONTEXT - you have chosen to cherry-pick and pit one verse against another.
As I warned you - that is a LOSING proposition . . .

Thanks. Having run out of argument or text you have rounded off well with exact repetition of the start of this debate.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You're right. Easter is an invention or a man-made teaching. Every part of Christ's life should be honored every day. :)

This video touches on the origins of Easter. Completely up to anyone to click or watch. :)

Welcome back!

I don't go for any pagan stuff; it's good however that Christians use public holiday such as so called Easter for special meetings for Bible teaching and fellowship.

Cherie Faye Mora

Mar 12, 2019
Burlingame
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not only was this nonsense debunked early on in this thread - you should run as FAR away as you can from cults like Iglesia Ni Cristo.

Like the Mormons and the JWs - this non-Trinitarian sect, invented in 1914,claims that ALL other Christian groups are "apostate"., rendering Christ's guarantee to His Church in Matt. 16:18 nothing short of a big, fat LIE.

If you want to see a sound debunking of their aberrant belief system - watch this video where Catholic apologist Jesse Romero completely shreds I.N.C. speaker Jose Ventilacion . . .

You’re definitely entitled to your opinion but just because you have strong feelings about something, that doesn’t make it true. We are entitled also to our beliefs and we believe it’s true not because it’s our opinion, but because it’s actually written in the Bible.

Anyone that watches the video that you presented can also decide for themselves. If you think the video that you presented was a “debunking” of biblical beliefs, then maybe learning what’s actually written is not something that interests you.

For those out there who are actually interested in what’s written, I’d love to share what I’ve learned. :)

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You’re definitely entitled to your opinion but just because you have strong feelings about something, that doesn’t make it true. We are entitled also to our beliefs and we believe it’s true not because it’s our opinion, but because it’s actually written in the Bible.

Anyone that watches the video that you presented can also decide for themselves. If you think the video that you presented was a “debunking” of biblical beliefs, then maybe learning what’s actually written is not something that interests you.

For those out there who are actually interested in what’s written, I’d love to share what I’ve learned. :)
Regarding the "debunking" - I was referring to the ignorant myths and legends regurgitated by the Iglesia Ni Cristo (I.N.C.) video that you posted. For example - the coloring of eggs was not a "pagan" practice - but a Lenten practice.

As stated - the I.N.C is simply rehashing the same, tired old anti-Catholic myths . . .

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Catholicism believes it and only it is Christianity, meaning the
Church.

Their problem is there actually a cult.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Regarding the "debunking" - I was referring to the ignorant myths and legends regurgitated by the Iglesia Ni Cristo (I.N.C.) video that you posted. For example - the coloring of eggs was not a "pagan" practice - but a Lenten practice.

As stated - the I.N.C is simply rehashing the same, tired old anti-Catholic myths . . .

Pagan Coloring of eggs started long before even the Catholic Church existed.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. Having run out of argument or text you have rounded off well with exact repetition of the start of this debate.
I never "ran out" of arguments.
I simply marveled at YOUR continued denials when faced with biblical, historical and linguistic facts.

Next time - do your homework . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholicism believes it and only it is Christianity, meaning the Church.
Their problem is there actually a cult.
Actually - this is another one of your unsubstantiated lies.
The Catholic Church doesn't teach that it is the ONLY Christian entity.

Where did you get this from - Jack Chick??

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually - this is another one of your unsubstantiated lies.
The Catholic Church doesn't teach that it is the ONLY Christian entity.

Where did you get this from - Jack Chick??

How big is your copy and paste sheet.

Retyping the same nonsense over and over has to bore even you.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Allow me one post more in answer,

This is what you BOF wrote,
"'The women left the Crucifixion, witnessed the Burial- THEN went home to prepare the spices and perfume - before resting for the Sabbath (John 19:31). Their rest BEGAN at sundown - NOT the next morning.'"
This is not Mark or Matthew or Luke. John OMITTED everything that happened between 19:30 when Jesus died, and "the Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath" the Sixth Day began in 19:31 "when evening had come", WHICH 'Preparation' John defined "great-day-of-(PASSOVER-)sabbath"--NOT the weekly Sabbath which Luke wrote about where he says that "the women began to rest the Sabbath".

John picks up with the synoptists only in 19:38 where Joseph appeared on the scene for the first time in Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57 Luke 23:50.

John therefore leaves off after Jesus died in 19:30 where the synoptists leave off after Jesus died in Mark 15:37 Matthew 27:50 Luke 23:46 but before Joseph appears after "evening had come".

John therefore has his story of the Jews IN BETWEEN AFTER the evening had come and AFTER the next day HAD begun AFTER sunset when Joseph arrived "AFTER THESE THINGS" of the Jews verses 31 to 38.

The synoptists on the other hand have their record about "everybody who came to watch the spectacle" of the Crucifixion and saw Jesus die, IN BETWEEN, three hours BEFORE sunset BEFORE the evening BEFORE the Sixth Day began after sunset with evening and Joseph arrived Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57 Luke 23:50.

The synoptists tell of "everybody who came", who included "many women", not just the 2 Marys, who THEN went home, but not "'to prepare the spices and perfume - before resting for the Sabbath'", but "FLED HOME-WARDS, BEWILDERED HEART-BEATING FOR FEAR AND TERROR" while the crosses were left forlorn WITH THE CRUCIFIED ON THEM, UNTIL "evening had come ... there suddenly arrived Joseph".

The women left the scene and went home TWICE. First on the day Christ died. Second time on the day He was Buried. First time three hours before sunset; second time exactly as long, three hours, before sunset.

So this, "'The women left the Crucifixion, witnessed the Burial- THEN went home to prepare the spices and perfume - before resting for the Sabbath (John 19:31).'" contains many more than just two flagrant, inexcusable, inaccuracies.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How big is your copy and paste sheet.
Retyping the same nonsense over and over has to bore even you.
Sooooooo, does that mean you can't provide documented proof for your idiotic claim that the Catholic Church doesn't consider Protestant denominations as "Christian"??

Is that what you're telling me??